Accutane

MemberMember
(@madi98)

Posted : 10/10/2015 7:08 pm

hey everyone, this is my first post. I started accutane about 16 days ago when my dermatologist prescribed it to me. I have had acne since I was in the 4th grade and now I'm in my senior year of high school and it's out of control. I'm on 40mg once per day and I'm getting horrible side effects from the drug and I wanna know if it's normal. If I don't drink enough water during the day I get the worlds worst migraine, like so bad it hurts to think. Also the insides of my nose are painfully dry, I've tried putting Vaseline up it but while I'm sleeping it just hardens and HURTS and I have to get it out in the morning and it burns and smells so bad ): I don't know if this is because I'm on day 16 and I'm in the 'initial breakout' stage but yesterday I woke up with egzema EVERYWHERE on my face. So bad it burns to put face makeup on, but I have too.. I'm sure the girls with acne understand this. I just switched to all cetaphil moisturizers and face washes. I was day and night and moisturize so well, specifically around my nose, but it's still SO DRY and the egzema is out or control. What should I do to help, is this normal?

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 10/10/2015 8:25 pm

Most people start out with 10 or 20mgs twice daily. Is there a specific reason why you take it once a day. I don't know about the headache but it sounds like you've found a way to manage it. I had nose dryness the whole time and it was just something I lived with. Using Cerave renewing sa lotion on my face did wonders for me. How bad are your lips? Maybe you should try washing with water only. Your side effects are pretty typical. It's really up to you to decide whether the benefits of accutane outweigh the bad.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/11/2015 3:48 am

hey everyone, this is my first post. I started accutane about 16 days ago when my dermatologist prescribed it to me. I have had acne since I was in the 4th grade and now I'm in my senior year of high school and it's out of control. I'm on 40mg once per day and I'm getting horrible side effects from the drug and I wanna know if it's normal. If I don't drink enough water during the day I get the worlds worst migraine, like so bad it hurts to think. Also the insides of my nose are painfully dry, I've tried putting Vaseline up it but while I'm sleeping it just hardens and HURTS and I have to get it out in the morning and it burns and smells so bad ): I don't know if this is because I'm on day 16 and I'm in the 'initial breakout' stage but yesterday I woke up with egzema EVERYWHERE on my face. So bad it burns to put face makeup on, but I have too.. I'm sure the girls with acne understand this. I just switched to all cetaphil moisturizers and face washes. I was day and night and moisturize so well, specifically around my nose, but it's still SO DRY and the egzema is out or control. What should I do to help, is this normal?

Hi, as the last poster mentioned....most of the side effects you are having seem to be normal but everyone is different....I've started out on 20mg once a day and I'm just finishing myfirst month of treatment...I'm hoping to stay on low dosage to keep any side effects as mild as possible. I'm takingaccutane to control very oily overactive oil glands and have already noticed my skin (and my lips) are very dry. I take a good lip balm for the chapped lips and its going a great job of keeping the dryness under control....You mentionedthat you've "just" switched to cetaphil....maybe the egzema has happened becuase of a change in your daily skin routine? I good moisturizer really helps but sometimes it can take a little while for your skin to get use toa change(switch) in products...is only my opinion (no expert) but too much change as once doesnt always help....I'm still doing the same daily routine that I've done for many years butwill start using less of my Benzoyl Peroxide 10% over the next weeks week (about 6-8weeks in my accutane treatment) as both BP and acutane are very drying....

Try not to worry, your side effects(dryness) do seem to be the norm andday 16 is still early in treatment....stay positive it will get better!

Kind regards

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/11/2015 3:50 pm

Accutane dries you out so headaches will happen if you're dehydrated. Also, your mucus membranes will dry out. The eczema over your entire face is worrisome as patches of it is one thing, full facial is another. Call your derm for that one. Be wary about putting steroids on your face as it thins the skin. Also, go crazy with the moisturizer.

Keep your head up hun. The first few months are the hardest.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/12/2015 3:53 am

Accutane dries you out so headaches will happen if you're dehydrated.  Also, your mucus membranes will dry out.  The eczema over your entire face is worrisome as patches of it is one thing, full facial is another.  Call your derm for that one.  Be wary about putting steroids on your face as it thins the skin.  Also, go crazy with the moisturizer.

Keep your head up hun.  The first few months are the hardest. 

leelowe1......I dont normally do message boards but this is why I come on this one.......Just wanted to say this was a great reply to madi98...genuine and very helpful to the poster! ;)