Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane Journey (27F)

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 10/06/2015 2:56 pm

Hello! Here is my diary of sorts to document a journey I never thought I would be taking. 

About me
I am about to turn 27 but have suffered with acne on and off my whole life. I seemed to have it mostly under control with the OCP but in April 2015 something happened and it came back with a vengeance. I suffer on average with 2-3 cysts on my face at a time which are painful, large, ugly and take weeks to resolve. Not only this, but they leave bad PIH that takes years to go away. 

Ive tried birth control, antibiotics, topicals and nothing seems to be doing it. I went to a dermatologist in August and he suggested Roaccutane. After getting over the initial shock of this suggestion as well as researching A LOT,  I have decided to take the plunge. 

Attached are (awful!) pictures of my skin in its normal state at different points this year, as a reference for how I am starting. My acne is on my face, mostly the cheeks and chin area. I also have a lot of comedones. 

The plan is to start at the beginning of November; wish me luck :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 11/01/2015 10:27 am

So I've not started yet but a bit more background about my skin. 

I I had the coil placed in February of this year and noticed I was getting more cystic acne around my face at about April time. (This was anywhere, not just chin and jawline and more than I was when I was on the BCP)  It was totally manageable, however these did always leave bad PIH behind and they lasted a few weeks each. I don't know if it was because of the IUS (Mirena) but when I spoke to the derm he said it's not likely. I also had an incredibly stressful period at work that coincided with this and in the past I have broken out badly with stress on more than one occasion. 

These big spots were bugging me so I decided to try something to combat it. I did two weeks of OCM which I actually loved but it did nothing for my acne. I did some reading and heard of Stridex. I thought ah great, a perfect cure! I used it as instructed (after patch testing on my temple which had no bad effects) and holy cow what a mess. Breakout all over my face within half an hour, big red cyctic spots and HUNDREDS of little bumps under my skin. This was back in August - the first picture in the above series shows what it did to me and I only had one cyst the day before that was taken.  it left me with so so many closed comedones which 2 months later, appear to be wanting to make their way out - here's me yesterday feeling miserable: 

image.thumb.jpeg.ca250941f92ed0fe00d1778

I guess it's a good thing these comedones are sprouting, but jeeeez is it fugly! I expect worse when I start the medication. But at least then it's a means to an end. Moral of the story: don't fix what isn't broken and I am probably never going to use chemicals on my face ever again! 

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 11/01/2015 1:52 pm

Good Luck with accutane! I've been on it a few times and it can be a life saver. While you're on it, treat your body like a temple. Eat well, exercise, reduce stress and try to be patient.

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 11/04/2015 4:22 pm

Good Luck with accutane!  I've been on it a few times and it can be a life saver.  While you're on it, treat your body like a temple.  Eat well, exercise, reduce stress and try to be patient. 

thank you Leelowe1 ! 

So today was the day! Went to see my dermatologist who thinks my skin is worse than when he last saw me, ha. 

The process was straightforward enough, I live in the UK. I had a pregnancy test and once this was proven negative my weight was taken and we talked about the medication and I asked my questions and that was it! I did have to go to the hospital to pick up the medication and to my amazement there wasn't a charge. I was expecting to pay the normal prescription of £8.50 or whatever it is so that was a pleasant surprise. 

Edit to add: my dermatologist told me to stop the antibiotic he has had me on for the last couple of months, lymecycline. I actually stopped this a week or so ago as I was abroad but in the medical information it also says that isotretinoin shouldn't be taken with a tetracycline. 

Earlier today I bought Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser and I've just used them both after taking the tablet with some food. I have to be honest, this moisturiser is not one I would normally use it feels super greasy. I guess I'll eat my words soon enough though ha. 

here are some reference pics for how I am upon starting this medication. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b70bf69bb0f1767c7f4d33a

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 11/06/2015 4:45 pm

Day 3

Not much change so no pictures today! I've not had any dryness yet, possibly a bit more oily if anything? I have a huge cyctic spot on my chin which was on its way before the Roaccutane, it's a nasty one and painful too, I woke up twice last night from the pain!a couple of my blackheads have decided to fall out on their own accord which I am loving ha. I don't know if that's the medication or it's just time for them to get out of my life but either way, I'm glad!

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 11/09/2015 1:01 pm

Day 6

Again, no pictures today! I went on a course this weekend and I did quite a lot of walking around. Both of my legs are now giving me jip and I said to my brother (a doctor) that I think it's the med and he told me to get a grip haha.

So, over this weekend I had one new cyst on Sunday that came up overnight and formed a head the same day and I helped it along (very gently!!) last night and it's subsided greatly. Still there but not hard and red for weeks like most of the others.

Otherwise, two new whiteheads this morning that popped whilst I was (again, gently!) cleansing but they're not totally gone.

Personally have felt like my face is so shiny that you could see your reflection in it but boyfriend disagrees; but what does he know haha. Idid notice my lips are drier today, coincidentally the weather has dropped loads overnight so could be why.

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 11/14/2015 3:10 pm

Day 10

Hello! Some pictures today, with make up on, in natural light: 

image.thumb.jpeg.6d3e94faed501f6a1eac828image.thumb.jpeg.a0f5a321001d8937efec8b8

In the photos, skin doesn't look great. BUT things to bear in mind:
*  It feels smoother - especially on the right side of my face, cheek area 
* all of these are pre-existing lesions and I admit that they look more prominent but also certainly less in number 
* they don't seem to be inflamed, a huge bonus

ALL of these little bumps have been the ones that came from my initial stridex incident almost 3 months ago now. They are slowly coming to the surface as blackheads and exfoliating. It's what needs to happen and I'm actually so happy it is. 

No exceptionally dry skin or lips yet. I got some Burt's Bees in the honey flavour today, very nice stuff and currently 20% off in John Lewis for anyone interested!

will keep you updated. 

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 11/22/2015 12:38 pm

Day 18

Not going to do a picture update this week.

My right cheek is smooth! Feels really soft and normal ha. There is PIH but it's at least not cystic or comedonal.

Left cheek is getting there. Mid October I had about 100 comedones just on that cheek but it's reduced so much. There's still lots there, and more to come to the surface but it's progress for sure.

Chin by far is the worst area and that cyst I had when I started still has s little lump in the skin which isn't painful. Hoping it'll get smaller and maybe even disappear by the end of next week

Speaking of painful bumps, I got the mother of all cysts I the left lower cheek at the start of the week, it was big and painful but very much under the skin. No head has formed but it feels like a small pea, the redness has reduced and it's no longer painful within 3 days. I think that would have normally taken 2 weeks to get to the point it has atm.

Lips are are so very dry, as are my hands. I work in healthcare and have to wash my hands a lot of times a day; if anyone can recommend a really good hand cream I would be grateful. If they end up cracking and bleeding I might not be able to actually work :/

So far things are looking up though. I can go outside not feeling as self conscious as I have been the last few months.

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 11/29/2015 11:15 am

Day 25

Helloo!

So since my last update I got an appointment to see a dermatologist in the county I live in now. I started the prescription with someone from my home town but I now live three hours away from there so I think I'll end up transferring over.

My he new dermatologist agreed that Accutane was the correct treatment but was quite surprised at the dose I was started at (20mg) and said this wasn't really appropriate. She wanted me to go up to 60mg from now on.

I had my hesitations about this mostly as it is such a big jump (I was hoping to go up to 40 for a month first) but she was quite adamant that 60 is what I need for 6 months as my acne is 'severe' because 'at 27 I shouldn't be getting these problems'. Haha she sure had a way with words.

Anyway, what I've decided to do is go up to 40/day until I have completed a month of being on the Med and then I'll go up to 60/day like she's said to do. I've taken 40mg for a couple of days now and my skin is drier already so I'm quite happy that a higher dose will create better results.

Now for my skin - that small residual cyst I had from when I started treatment came up as a blackhead which exfoliated and it is now healing and the other mahoosive cyst I had on my lower left cheek is still there but it's a lot smaller; I imagine it'll come to a head at some point and exfoliate too. Otherwise all about the same. I am sure my next update will be the most interesting ha

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 12/07/2015 9:17 am

Day 31

Hello!

pictures this time as you can see below. I literally just took these after having a shower and moisturising lots so this is the worst my skin could look I think haha  .image.thumb.jpeg.26561b47e41f316173344a0image.thumb.jpeg.a22711c74037363761f9b2c

image.thumb.jpeg.06300e24b36549238d9a800

My chin is great atm still not perfect but pretty good compared to pre-roaccutane. Cheeks are also improving in my opinion, and with make up on it doesn't look too bad if I'm honest. Still a lot of PIH and my lips are super dry but it's all bearable. On Friday I started taking 60mg/day and noticed that I've had a little more breakout on my back. Nothing horrendous or cystic. Also my eyes are a bit drier but otherwise it's all manageable. I've definitely noticed in the last couple of weeks that my face is way less oily too. Woohoo. 

That's all for now. 

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 12/23/2015 8:27 am

Hello!

Not sure what day I'm on but it's something like 6 weeks

my skin is lookingbetter and worse. The right side of my face is totally clear apart from some PIH. I also seem to have developed two patches of eczema here which I haven't had for about ten years. One on the cheekbone and one above my upper lip - I'm seeing the derm tomorrow so will ask what they recommend. My arms also have my old eczema patches coming up again after so long! I guess that means it's working and making my skin dry.

The right side is looking worse - however! This isn't because it has broken me out or anything, it's bringing stuff that I know has been under the surface for months up to a head and it looks more prominent. In October before I started roaccutane, I counted 94 closed comedones on my left cheek alone, not extending down to my chin even. As ofright now Ihave counted 12. That's either inflamed or to come out but that's the TOTAL. I am very happy with that and in a way would like them all to just come and go haha at the moment they are staggering.

apart from that, all ok. Definitely noticed back pain, even when walking. A very dry nose and the eczema as mentioned. Apart from that, I have nothing negative to say except it's difficult remembering to take your Med with you wherever you go for dinner because at this time of year I seem to find myself eating out a lot!

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 01/03/2016 5:33 pm

2 months

hello! 

Happy new year to all. I've just been looking back through this blog and what a difference in my face there is! 

Firstly the negatives: back is bad. I have always had a spot of back pain - possibly sciatica that goes a little down my right leg. It's worse now and sometimes when I am sitting for a while getting up is quite painful, as is bending. I haven't really tried glucosamine because the tablets are really big and I hate swallowing tablets... Haha. Also I haven't used fish oil because I'm vegetarian but I think I should get over my tablet fear as the back pain is not nice. 

Secondly is eczema. Not had any for years but now I have it between my eyebrows ... Which I don't like. And wow my skin is very thin.  My dry nose has been quite bad and itchy and I've had a cold which doesnt help and on occasion I have had minor nosebleeds. In the night I rub my nose quite hard without realising and a few days ago I woke up from my right bridge of the nose stinging. I had accidentally rubbed off a big area of skin!! It wasn't good. Scabbed over which in itself looked ridiculous and has somewhat healed, but wow. That has never happened before! 

Positives are that as of right now, I am 90% clear and since having the cyst I mentioned a few weeks ago on my lower left cheek, I've not had any at all. Woohoo! That one is still there and not come close to a head yet - maybe it won't or maybe it will in years to come, it's very deep. 

Move attached a pic for progress (my poor lips).  The bumps under my lip are scabs which will go and I think there's still a little something on my left cheek. Otherwise I am back to how my skin was pre-Stridex breakout :D 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 01/10/2016 4:45 pm

9 weeks

These were just taken after cleansing and moisturising and I am feelin happy! Lips are a mess though haha. 
I've been using Aveeno Moisturing Creamy Oil along with the cetaphil and I've found that helpful. 
Today I used P20 factor 50 sunscreen as I was out and it was sunny; I am sensitive to the sun anyway and since I was a teenager have had facial skin that burns really easily so I'm taking every precaution with the sun on this Med. i wasn't a huge fan of the stuff, it made me look very shiny. I think if I was planning on swimming or hiking it's fine but not really if I want to walk into town and plan on wearing makeup! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@anotherstar)

Posted : 01/10/2016 5:29 pm

Wonderful progress! I see a big difference in just 9 weeks 🙂

MemberMember
(@criz98)

Posted : 01/10/2016 6:28 pm

Hello, im so happy accutane is working for you!! Me myslef im starting minth two and i hve a question , everytime i go get my prescription my doctor has to send a paper to my insurance to authorize it which take 24-48 hours meaning i have no pills for 1-3 days every month does this happen to you or anyone on accutane ?

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 01/12/2016 5:37 pm

On 10 January 2016 at 2225, anotherstar said:

Wonderful progress! I see a big difference in just 9 weeks :)

Thank you! The change in my confidence is amazing too, I have finally stopped avoiding seeing friends or being seen in daylight! :)

On 10 January 2016 at 2314, Criz98 said:
Hello, im so happy accutane is working for you!! Me myslef im starting minth two and i hve a question , everytime i go get my prescription my doctor has to send a paper to my insurance to authorize it which take 24-48 hours meaning i have no pills for 1-3 days every month does this happen to you or anyone on accutane ? 

Thank you too! Sorry that I can't help with this- in the UK we don't need to go through insurance but someone else hopefully can help you! 

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 03/12/2016 11:20 am

Hello all! 

4.5 months

its been a while since I updated because truthfully, not much has changed. 

I I still have 2.5 months left to go and my lips will finally be normal again ha!  image.thumb.jpeg.3fb3cf05874b400d6c222b2image.thumb.jpeg.abe77c82f41b935bc9aaaeaimage.thumb.jpeg.18886449fd5324b5337d484

Personally, I think this medication has been a miracle. I've never had skin this smooth and soft and I haven't thought about acne or spots since January. The downsides for me are the dry skin and the very horrendously horrible dry lips. It looks like I have a cold sore!! But it'll go. I've been complimented on my skin three times this week. Funny really!

so anyone who is feeling sad or down or waiting for the Accutane to do its thing, just keep going. For me, I couldn't be happier I decided to go ahead. 

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 03/13/2016 4:47 pm

Your skin looks incredible... congrats!
It's great to see someone further down the accutane road getting results like you :)

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 03/18/2016 3:33 pm

On 13 March 2016 at 9:47 PM, WittySock said:

Your skin looks incredible... congrats!
It's great to see someone further down the accutane road getting results like you :)

Thank you! 

I actually went to my hospital appointment yesterday and the nurse (dermatology nurse) said she reckons I can stop after next time if things are ok! Great news indeed, especially with the sun coming out now and I'm beginning to get more eczema. I have noticed that this is leaving some pigmentation even if it's treated and resolved within a couple of days and I've got a very subtle patch on my forehead. In my eyes, it's not worth getting rid of acne and the scars to then have eczema and the scars... So I will probably be done soon. 

what a relief! :) 

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 05/10/2016 3:19 am

Final Update

Hello everyone!

just a final update to tie everything up. I stopped taking the Med about 5 weeks ago and have been discharged from the derm team. I've had no issues since then which is great and my lips are finally back to normal! 

Heres a a pic in natural lighting to show how it is now 

image.jpeg

best of luck to everyone else undergoing this treatment in the future or currently!

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/11/2016 8:39 am

Oh my goodness, if I saw you walking down the street I might hate you a little bit! 😉 You look amazing you can't even tell you ever had any acne! Congrats! 🙂

MemberMember
(@parties03)

Posted : 10/07/2016 3:39 pm

6 month update

Hello! I wanted to give a quick update about my skin for all those wondering about long term what happens. 

Peraonally, I think my oil production has returned to the same as it was before accutane (possibly more?).  Having been off it for a few months I can also confirm that I definitely experienced increased hair loss using it. Nothing drastic, but I certainly noticed it and it has stopped since the drug has been out of my system. 

Acne wise, I have had only one bad cyst which lasted a week and as always, left PIH despite the fact that I left it alone!  Story of my life hAha. 

I still believe that this is the best thing I could have had for my skin. Every day I wash my face and I can't believe what I was going through a year ago. 

IMG_3171.JPG

This is natural lighting minimal make up - you can see the ice pick scars left over (pre accutane) but hey, nobody's perfect ha!  Good luck to anyone else using this medication :)