Notifications
Clear all

HELP! Diet, Supplements and Exercise not working.

MemberMember
(@ruby14)

Posted : 10/06/2015 4:06 am

I have had acne for 14 years now and have tried nearly everything under the sun. I've tried countless over-the-counter products, prescriptions, both oral and topical, from dermatologists and have done 2 rounds of Accutane. My skin was great for about 6 months after finishing the Accutane, but then my acne returned. My acne is along my jaw/chin area, I don't get it anywhere else. Typically this type of acne is hormonal, however mine was never helped by being on a birth control pill. I began to research the connection between diet and acne and decided to eliminate dairy, gluten, peanuts, sugar and "bad" oils (I only used Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and home-rendered Tallow). I should also mention that I've been a pescatarian for 7 years (2 of those years were spent being vegan) and so the tallow was a big deal for me since it comes from beef. I eat a LOT of vegetables (both raw and cooked), eggs from my own free-range chickens, some rice and potatoes, a little fruit, some nuts and fish occasionally. And of course the fats I mentioned before. I also drink 4 cups of green tea a day and besides that I only drink water. I also started taking some supplements daily: 30mg zinc, 5,000iu vitamin A, 400iu vitamin E, 2000iu vitamin D, 600mg NAC, and a B complex vitamin. I exercise at least 4 days a week and walk a LOT. I stuck with this diet for 3 full months (NO cheats!) but saw no improvement in my skin. I still get new pimples almost daily, sometimes a few each day. After the 3 months, I started eating some dairy to see if it would make my skin worse; it didn't. Then I added in some gluten and sugar and my skin was bad, but not any worse than it was during the 3 month diet. The gluten and sugar did give me a headache so I'm laying off those for now. My skincare routine is pretty simple: wash my face at night with cetaphil cleanser, raw honey mask a few times a week, pure organic aloe, cetaphil moisturizer. I don't do anything in the morning. I am feeling so defeated, as I was so hopeful the diet and supplements would be the answer to my long-running struggle with acne. My hyperpigmentation is out of control and it's only getting worse. I don't know what else to try! I have read some research that suggests eggs and onions (because of the iodine) can cause acne so I'm considering eliminating those and seeing what happens, but it seems like you can be allergic or sensitive to any food! Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try to help my acne? I should also mention I live in Malawi, Africa so access to a lot of foods and products is limited. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 10/06/2015 3:51 pm

I asked 3 dermatologists about food allergies/intolerances and they've said it doesn't have anything to do with acne.

For example, I've kept this strict diet for 7 months now: I haven't had sugar, dairy, chips, fast-food, oceanic fish, high glycemic index food, corn, eggs, bananas, grapes, nuts, almonds, soda, sweets, pasta, pizza, potatoes, foods rich in iodine etc. None, zero. The worst breakout I had was about 2 months ago, it wasn't much, about 7-8 cysts that went away in maximum 15 days. I'm pretty sure it was from drinking over 1L/day of orange juice (Pfanner, no added sugar).

So basically, I've kept a diet similar to yours, but also without some of the food you ate, for a longer period of time. I also ate gluten.

It did help as my face was pretty clear, but my dermatologist told me I have to keep it for the rest of my life. I'm now starting to eat everything again and see how my body reacts. I went from having severe acne to having clear or almost clear face. But then again, the diet might not have been what did the trick, for some people is not working. It might have been the antibiotics and creams I used for a few months when I changed my diet, or I'm
simply out growing acne. Or it might just come back any day now. :) My dermatologist told me that you have to be fully committed, otherwise it won't work, you have to cut out completely these foods, basically eat like a diabetic. It is worth to give it a shot for a few months, but I'm not willing to keep it for the rest of my life.

Bottom line, diet is not working for everyone and 3 months might be not enough.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 10/06/2015 4:19 pm

People miss the major factor in the significance of dieting and advice from dermatologists.. they are not properly versed on nutrition!!

I know for a fact that the development of nutritional knowledge isn't the forefront in the teaching surrounding those who are studying dermatology. (I have a classmate who is in my chemistry II class that is pursuing a career in dermatology.)

I am notorious for being the kind of person that goes to my doctors appointments with a folder containing a myriad of scientific data and research to have as source material when I tell my doctor he is incorrect. A few of my physicians have started to allocate more time on my visits because they enjoy the discussion. I've even had a few beers with endo outside the realm of patient-physician relationship to discuss new data. You must remember that besides their required participation in refresher courses and clinic provided classes, the knowledge they possess is mediated by their personal motivation to greater development of medical/pharmaceutical comprehension.

I'm not trying to disrespect your physicians at all. I'm fairly certain they still possess more knowledge regardless of my endeavors.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/06/2015 4:22 pm

I have had acne for 14 years now and have tried nearly everything under the sun. I've tried countless over-the-counter products, prescriptions, both oral and topical, from dermatologists and have done 2 rounds of Accutane. My skin was great for about 6 months after finishing the Accutane, but then my acne returned. My acne is along my jaw/chin area, I don't get it anywhere else. Typically this type of acne is hormonal, however mine was never helped by being on a birth control pill. I began to research the connection between diet and acne and decided to eliminate dairy, gluten, peanuts, sugar and "bad" oils (I only used Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and home-rendered Tallow). I should also mention that I've been a pescatarian for 7 years (2 of those years were spent being vegan) and so the tallow was a big deal for me since it comes from beef. I eat a LOT of vegetables (both raw and cooked), eggs from my own free-range chickens, some rice and potatoes, a little fruit, some nuts and fish occasionally. And of course the fats I mentioned before. I also drink 4 cups of green tea a day and besides that I only drink water. I also started taking some supplements daily: 30mg zinc, 5,000iu vitamin A, 400iu vitamin E, 2000iu vitamin D, 600mg NAC, and a B complex vitamin. I exercise at least 4 days a week and walk a LOT. I stuck with this diet for 3 full months (NO cheats!) but saw no improvement in my skin. I still get new pimples almost daily, sometimes a few each day. After the 3 months, I started eating some dairy to see if it would make my skin worse; it didn't. Then I added in some gluten and sugar and my skin was bad, but not any worse than it was during the 3 month diet. The gluten and sugar did give me a headache so I'm laying off those for now. My skincare routine is pretty simple: wash my face at night with cetaphil cleanser, raw honey mask a few times a week, pure organic aloe, cetaphil moisturizer. I don't do anything in the morning. I am feeling so defeated, as I was so hopeful the diet and supplements would be the answer to my long-running struggle with acne. My hyperpigmentation is out of control and it's only getting worse. I don't know what else to try! I have read some research that suggests eggs and onions (because of the iodine) can cause acne so I'm considering eliminating those and seeing what happens, but it seems like you can be allergic or sensitive to any food! Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try to help my acne? I should also mention I live in Malawi, Africa so access to a lot of foods and products is limited. Thank you!

There is not significant amounts of iodine in eggs & onions to worry about. You could however try avoiding them a bit to test for allergy.

Is your acne different since you began avoiding sugar/gluten/dairy? Do you eat citrus? My jawline acne was due to a citrus intolerance. And dairy doesn't noticeably cause acne for me. But there's too many ways that it impacts the events involved in acne formation for me to make it a big part of my diet. Especially unfermented dairy.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 10/06/2015 4:42 pm

MemberMember
(@pinkie25)

Posted : 10/06/2015 7:01 pm

I struggled with pretty severe acne for over 20 years. Like you, I had also tried countless supplements and diets. Nothing ever worked. Just this year, I have FINALLY discovered what works for me. Search for Winged Serpent on Acne.org and read everything on his regimen. It's basically cut out sugar(which I did faithfully for a while, but have started cheating) , drink only water and lots of it, and the most important part -500 mg sustained release Pantothenic acid(he says once a day- I take twice a day- for a combined 1,000 mg). With this take 500 mg L-Carnitine. Also juice fresh vegetable juice-with a juicer-every morning. I do sweet potato combined with either cucumber, beet, celery, carrot...I use acne.org cleanser and stridex cleansing pads. I don't think anyone has ever struggled as much and for as long as I have with acne. And now with this regimen I am actually clear thank the Lord.

Oichi liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 10/06/2015 7:15 pm

I had severe cystic acne for 7 years. I ignored all the Dermatologist and Doctors. I went found thecauseof my acne. Leaky gut and Candida overgrowth which caused food sensitivities. I avoid thesefoods,and suddenly, after 7 years of disfiguring acne, my acne started going away! I'm happy to say I am clear today.

Now to all the dumb asses who blindly follow doctors' and derms' advice: Acne is a billion dollar industry, so of course they will take advantage of you for money! Dermatologists aren't trained in nutrition, or acne. They are trained to label acne, and shove chemicals down your fucking throat in exchange of your cash (or your insurance's if you're lucky). The medical industry claims to 1. Not know what causes acne 2. Not have a fucking clue as to how to cure it & 3. That Accutane is the closests thing to a cure there is and ever was (which could not be further from the truth)

They also claim that it's strictly hormonal and non-preventable, and just a part of life you have to accept. In doing so, you give them money until you die, or the shit "magically dissapears" which doesn't really happen for everyone. Meanwhile, I cure my own acne at 18, leaving all the "top ranked in my state" doctors with they're jaws wide open. Because they thought I was a fuckin idiot, when in reality, they were the ignorant fucks.

Oichi liked
MemberMember
(@pinkie25)

Posted : 10/06/2015 7:22 pm

Wanted to add, I also eliminated fluoride as much as possible (no fluoride toothpaste and no tap water if it has flouride) since I broke out a lot around my mouth and chin. Not sure if that is a factor. I haven't had the nerve to reintroduce it yet.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 10/06/2015 7:50 pm

I can attest to the presumption that hormones aren't the biggest factor. I'm someone who weekly injects testosterone with esterifcations along with many other anabolic/androgenic sex steroids and seldom develop any sort of blemishes.

I wouldn't see why fluoride would be the focus of tooth paste causing clogged pores rather the fillers and gelatinous agents that are frequently used as ingredients in the production.

MemberMember
(@ruby14)

Posted : 10/06/2015 11:27 pm

There is not significant amounts of iodine in eggs & onions to worry about. You could however try avoiding them a bit to test for allergy.

Is your acne different since you began avoiding sugar/gluten/dairy? Do you eat citrus? My jawline acne was due to a citrus intolerance. And dairy doesn't noticeably cause acne for me. But there's too many ways that it impacts the events involved in acne formation for me to make it a big part of my diet. Especially unfermented dairy.

No, my acne is the same since doing the strict 3 month diet; same type of acne, same frequency. As for citrus, I only have lemon occasionally, like if I make guacamole or on top of fish. I've thought more about the eggs, and I didn't eat them for 4 years and my acne was still bad. Though from what I read it sounds like you can develop an allergy at any time, is that right?

I know your derms say food intolerance is not a thing, but that's not their line of expertise. When your only tool is a hammer, all you see are nails.

If you want to test your food hypothesis, and don't want to spend a fortune on a food allergist, try a juice fast and and see if that has a positive effect on your skin. You'd be surprised the foods that Chinese medicine prohibits for damp conditions. http://amycdarling.com/pdf/Avoiding_Damp_Accumulation_Through_Food_Choices.pdf

That said, I can't put any oils on my face. Even taking vitamin E orally seems to make me break out. Fish oil REALLY causes breakouts for me, personally. However- have you gotten your vitamin D levels tested? I found that mega dosing D helped me tremendously.
(If you're trying to eliminate oils and need moisture- not all of us do- 99% Aloe mixed with DMAE powder is my go-to moisture/serum. I'm also really sensitive to shampoos and conditioners that end up on my jaw line. )

Unfortunately I live in Africa so I can't get my vitamin D levels tested nor can I try a juice fast as juicers don't exist here. Also, just to clarify, I'm not currently seeing a dermatologist because there aren't any where I'm living. I tried Oil Cleansing a while back and it broke me out horribly, so I totally understand the horrors of oil on the face. Since my skin was just as bad before I started taking the Vitamin E, I don't think the oral pill is causing my acne.

I struggled with pretty severe acne for over 20 years. Like you, I had also tried countless supplements and diets. Nothing ever worked. Just this year, I have FINALLY discovered what works for me. Search for Winged Serpent on Acne.org and read everything on his regimen. It's basically cut out sugar(which I did faithfully for a while, but have started cheating) , drink only water and lots of it, and the most important part -500 mg sustained release Pantothenic acid(he says once a day- I take twice a day- for a combined 1,000 mg). With this take 500 mg L-Carnitine. Also juice fresh vegetable juice-with a juicer-every morning. I do sweet potato combined with either cucumber, beet, celery, carrot...I use acne.org cleanser and stridex cleansing pads. I don't think anyone has ever struggled as much and for as long as I have with acne. And now with this regimen I am actually clear thank the Lord.

I'll have to look into those Pantoehnic acid pills once I move back to the States. I can't find them here where I'm living. All the vitamins I'm currently taking were brought to me by a friend visiting from the States.In the B complex I'm taking, there is 100mg of Pantothenic acid, but I'm guessing that dosage isnot be enough to make a big difference. And as I mentioned, I would love to do fresh juice, but I don't have access to a juicer. I am very intrigued by this regimen though and it's amazing that you are now clear after such a long struggle with acne, gives me hope!

MemberMember
(@ruby14)

Posted : 10/06/2015 11:45 pm

I'm also wondering about nightshade allergies...is that common? I'm thinking that since I've had acne for so long maybe I'm allergic to a food I eat all the time...I eat onions and tomatoes nearly every day and peppers often. Has anyone had experience with nightshades causing acne?

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 10/07/2015 2:07 am

I'm also wondering about nightshade allergies...is that common? I'm thinking that since I've had acne for so long maybe I'm allergic to a food I eat all the time...I eat onions and tomatoes nearly every day and peppers often. Has anyone had experience with nightshades causing acne?

I eat a lot of jalapenos that grow in my garden.as well as lots of cayenne pepper and some bell peppers and i don't seem to have any problems. But it's the onions and garlic that break me out. Especially onion and garlic powders

MemberMember
(@ruby14)

Posted : 10/07/2015 2:24 am

I eat a lot of jalapenos that grow in my garden.as well as lots of cayenne pepper and some bell peppers and i don't seem to have any problems. But it's the onions and garlic that break me out. Especially onion and garlic powders

Interesting! I think I might eliminate nightshades for a while and see what happens. How long do you think before I would notice a difference?

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 10/07/2015 2:41 am

Interesting! I think I might eliminate nightshades for a while and see what happens. How long do you think before I would notice a difference?

Probably in a couple days, that's how it normally goes for me. Whenever i breakout and the breakout keeps getting worse.. or doesn't go away then i know it's something im eating.. I tried to eat organic gluten free bread everyday from costco becuase i got so tired of eating meat all the time, and ended up breaking out really bad after a week of eating the bread everyday, even though the ingredients seems to be pretty clean.. i noticed more clogged pores. But if i eat it only in moderation, like once a week, i didn't breakout at all. So maybe certain foods are not meant to be eaten everyday ,im not a tomatoe person so i can't really say if that breaks me out, but im sure if i had like 1 or 2 slices it wouldn't break me out. and i could probably have the garlic and onions once or twice a week and get away with it

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/07/2015 10:12 am

30 years from age 10 to 40 for me. And we've had people much, much older here.

You don't have to drink only water. You just should not drink sugar. Smoothies are better than juices. And don't require another machine that has only one use. All meals should be low to moderate glycemic, but few need to avoid all sugar. However, added sugar should be a rare treat. High doses of Pantothenic acid can have side effects.

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@pinkie25)

Posted : 10/07/2015 10:37 am

Ok, to be more specific, I had acne for about 28 years. And I said what worked for ME. You said smoothies are better than juice. If you're talking nutritionally, then I believe that is debatable. Also Pantothenic acid in HIGH doses can be harmful. I sincerely doubt anyone would have much trouble with 500 mg sustained release - which is what Winged Serpent recommends. This regimen is so simple- compared to the endless supplements and elimination diets I've tried over the years. But it has worked for me.

MemberMember
(@devin-mooers)

Posted : 10/07/2015 11:33 am

@ruby14, I'd try removing eggs for ~2 weeks and see if that helps. We recently had a guy on our forum who was following our diet recommendations to a T, but was still breaking out - once he stopped eggs, he cleared up pretty quick. Just something to try, sounds like the rest of your diet is pretty on point.

Citrus doesn't bother me, unlike @alternativista, butI don't seem to do particularly well with dark chocolate. Everyone's got their own individual reactions to certain foods - figuring this all out can be pretty tough, but it's well worth it.

MemberMember
(@ruby14)

Posted : 10/08/2015 8:52 am

@ruby14, I'd try removing eggs for ~2 weeks and see if that helps. We recently had a guy on our forum who was following our diet recommendations to a T, but was still breaking out - once he stopped eggs, he cleared up pretty quick. Just something to try, sounds like the rest of your diet is pretty on point.

Citrus doesn't bother me, unlike @alternativista, butI don't seem to do particularly well with dark chocolate. Everyone's got their own individual reactions to certain foods - figuring this all out can be pretty tough, but it's well worth it.

Thanks for the advice! I actually did the 3 month diet after reading your website - such a great resource! Since I'm already a couple days into eliminating nightshades, I'm going to stick with that for 2 weeks and then I'll try eggs. And if that doesn't help, I'll try eliminating onions.

MemberMember
(@hopeshine)

Posted : 10/12/2015 1:36 pm

I am 28 yrs old girl suffering from acne.I had acne for the past 14 years or so, I had a course of roaccutane who got me clearfor about 2 years but it s been back for a year now and I cant stand it!

I have been quiting the pill, gone gluten free and eating really healthy for over 4 months without much success. I am back to eating a little of gluten only in social situation and a little more flexible with myself and now taking supplement (Vit D - 10 000 UI every 2 weeks ,Zinc = 30 mg a day, multi-vitamins Nature's Plus source of life) and trying to have a lot of green teas. I am exercising once a week and doing yoga at least once a week too.

I am so tired as I thought I should consider taking isotretinoin again or a birth control pill, even though I know it can do more harm then good .. I am wondering what is it that I do wrong? I have the feeling my problem is hormonal but I am lost about what I can do more.

The acne is wrecking my confidence and I would love so much to see it gone..

What is it that I m doing wrong? Please help.. any advice? @alternativista you seem to have so much knowledge, could you please give me idea?

Thanks for reading and caring,

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/12/2015 3:54 pm

In regards to diet and supplements, one piece of advice I can give you is to not get caught up in the one miracle cure. Everyone will give you what works for them and if you try it and don't succeed, you blame yourself. Alternavista gives good universal advice which doesn't encourage going overboard by cutting out mass food groups and living off the dirt if the earth. Start with eating nutritional dense food (which it seems you do already) and then you can slowly reduce things such common allergens. At the end of the day, it may or may not work for you but know that acne doesn't define you and there is life even if your skin looks like crap. Don't put life on hold as you continue your search

good luck

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/12/2015 7:57 pm

Are you sure that it's acne?

Rosacea bumps can look a lot like acne but is caused by weak blood vessels.

Unlike common acne, which results from clogged pores, rosacea is caused by weak blood vessels just below the surface of the skin. When these blood vessels leak, the skin turns red. Larger leaks cause small, pimple-like red spots to break out on the face, and scar tissue can cause lumps and bumps to form under the skin.

I have had both types of bumps most of my life. Even dermatologists have a hard time telling the difference between them without opening up the bumps with a scalpel. The acne is relatively easy to get rid of. The rosacea bumps (which often resemble deeper pimples or cysts) will stay until you strengthen the blood vessels.

MemberMember
(@jasminejr)

Posted : 10/13/2015 2:31 am

ruby14

Have you tried Magnesium supplements?They worked for me. It took about a month to really start having an effect though. Also would suggest avoiding heated and processed unsaturated oils during the first month of supplementing Magnesium. I have had acne since I was 17. What I found was processed and heated unsaturated oils caused my spots, if they were taken out I never got spots. When I supplemented Magnesium consistently for a month I was able to eat processed oils with vastly reduced spots. So these were the two things that were affecting me. Olive oil is good for the skin but only if it is cold pressed. The same goes for all un saturated oils, eg, sunflower oil. For cooking I would suggest butter, ghee or coconut oil, as they stay more stable in the cooking process and less inflammatory to the body. Hope this helps. There are probably many causes for acne but the things I have mentioned are fairly common causes and cures for acne but not mentioned enough.

MemberMember
(@jasminejr)

Posted : 10/13/2015 2:56 am

Hope&Shine

The two things that worked for me were consistent supplementing with Magnesium oil and removing processed and heated un-saturated oils such as sunflower oil, rapeseed oil, olive oil etc. (I found cold pressed un-saturated oils like olive oil etc and heated saturated oils/fat such as butter, coconut oil to be no problem)I found From the age of 17 until I was 24 if I ate any processed/heated un-saturated oils at all I would always break out in spots. Then when I supplemented with a full does of Magnesium every day, after about a month I found I could eat some processd un-saturated oils with either no spots or minimal very small none painful ones. So would suggest cutting out or cutting down on toxic oils until you have been supplemnting magnesium for a few weeks. I hope this helps, it worked for me.

MemberMember
(@ruby14)

Posted : 10/13/2015 3:04 pm

ruby14

Have you tried Magnesium supplements?They worked for me. It took about a month to really start having an effect though. Also would suggest avoiding heated and processed unsaturated oils during the first month of supplementing Magnesium. I have had acne since I was 17. What I found was processed and heated unsaturated oils caused my spots, if they were taken out I never got spots. When I supplemented Magnesium consistently for a month I was able to eat processed oils with vastly reduced spots. So these were the two things that were affecting me. Olive oil is good for the skin but only if it is cold pressed. The same goes for all un saturated oils, eg, sunflower oil. For cooking I would suggest butter, ghee or coconut oil, as they stay more stable in the cooking process and less inflammatory to the body. Hope this helps. There are probably many causes for acne but the things I have mentioned are fairly common causes and cures for acne but not mentioned enough.

I haven't tried Magnesium - I will see if I can find them where I'm living. How much do you take?

I am a week into the nightshade elimination and yesterday I got 6 new pimples. Is it worth sticking it out another week?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/14/2015 11:09 am

Magnesium is a really good thing to get adequate amounts and most people don't get enough. Food sources of magnesium are greens & seeds. It's a major component of chlorophyll, which is why it's in leaves. & I suppose it's in seeds to provide the magnesium the sprout needs to make it's first leaves until it's roots get deap enough to get it from the soil.

If you want to try supplements, take it at night. It relaxes muscles & blood vessels. It's very helpful for sleep. You could also take epsom salt baths or make magnesium oil to get it topically. Epsomsalt is magnesium sulfate & the sulfur is also good for the skin topically. Both are also very good for sore muscles and sleep.