Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Social Anxieties

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 09/22/2015 6:13 pm

I'm sure others can relate to this...

As an individual that doesn't deal with acne anymore and hasn't in a very long time I can probably attest to being out of the loop with the feeling of anxiety from acne in social environments. However, I've realized that when I'm meeting someone for the first time I generally don't pay much attention to the amount of acne they have. Honestly I don't really think anything about any superficial blemishes until someone points it out or references it during conversation.

I was a lucky one with my acne, but what little stress I did deal with was all a manifestation of subconscious perceptions of myself. When we look at the mirror our first thought is usually making note of imperfections that we defined as individuals for ourselves. Unfortunately we are generally the harshest critic in this category.

I just always reiterated this idea in my head that imperfections as a form of labeling is an extremely subjective statement considering everyone sees the notion of perfection differently. So what I thought looked terrible and screamed attention didn't even register in the present thoughts of someone I was talking to.

Especially in the realms of dating and infatuations with others, what they looked like was a collective sum that was materialized in my mind from their personality, the choice of clothes, the tone of their voice, smell, hygeine, etc. It wasn't just a highly defined individual characteristic on their face, but a collection of everything they brought to the social interaction.

I've seen guys that had a facial texture comparable to the moon, but the way they held themselves spoke volumes. I'm someone with no facial blemishes at all, but I can't get any girls because my confidence is pathetic!

So to anyone that read this I hope you stop beating yourself up like the things I read in this section. If someone is going to dictate their view of you on that premise then the real question is why are you talking to this person? I've had more people point out that I was wearing a wrinkled shirt or mismatched socks than they've pointed out my skin health.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 09/22/2015 8:28 pm

Woah dude I was just posting a little thought in hopes of it being a positive reinforcement. Taking my statements and correlating their referencing subject into absolutes isn't what I was going for.

I also wasn't expecting proposed theoretical situations to contradict this whole opinionated thought.

Just trying to provide encouragement to live on! I remember my acne phase had me under the assumption that life is horrible. Now I sometimes miss those little moments where I had the joy of popping things on my face.

MemberMember
(@essex11)

Posted : 09/22/2015 10:03 pm

Girls love confidence, not arrogance there's a different. Even if you're not confident act it, I have bad skin. Much worse than my friends however I manage to do as well with girls as them.

However I tend not to date girls long term because it's difficult to be that comfortable around someone when you are not truly comfortable with yourself

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 09/23/2015 8:43 am

Such a great post :) I, too, know guys with severe acne who just ooze confidence and do well because of it. One guy I know is VERY masculine, down the gym all the time, and has SEVERE acne...he has since I've known him when we were 15 (we're both 24 now). He wears a full face of foundation wherever he goes, works on his body, and looks good! He doesn't let his acne get in his way :) He's never been single in all the years I've known him.

Besides...would you really want to be with someone who didn't like you if you had bad skin?

I met someone two years ago when my skin was AWFUL. Worse than it ever has been (even worse than the beginning of this year when I started accutane), but for some reason my skin didn't bother me back then. I was confident, happy, out all the time, working out... and we really hit it off. As time went on I moved countries so it became very difficult, so it fizzled out, but now I am back in England and we are giving a serious relationship a go. I panic and worry about my skin now, and it's ten times better than when we first met... so I know that if he liked me back then with such bad skin, he will like me now if I breakout -- and that gives me so much silent support.

essex11 liked
MemberMember
(@essex11)

Posted : 09/23/2015 9:45 pm

Girls love confidence, not arrogance there's a different. Even if you're not confident act it, I have bad skin. Much worse than my friends however I manage to do as well with girls as them.

However I tend not to date girls long term because it's difficult to be that comfortable around someone when you are not truly comfortable with yourself

So if a man is a good person but doesn't have "confidence" because he has social anxiety disorder and gets nervous arond other people which means he can't "act" confident then does he not deserve to be in a relationship?

What do women on here think? It would really be sad if the entire gender only is interested in relationships with someone who is "confident" over all of their other qualities. Is that really the case as some people online say it is? That sounds extremely shallow to me if that's the case.

Also, the problem with "bad skin" is that if you are very good looking and have bad skin then you will not have as much trouble as someone who is already average/bad looking (even if they had no acne) and has acne on top of it. Women do care about looks, even though for some reason people won't admit it.

Wow you are so negative, I never once said somebody who can't act confident didn't deserve a relationship. I never mentioned looked or how average or bad looking I am. Chill out dude. Plus my argument was for just hooking up, already said I had issues dating.

Such a great post :) I, too, know guys with severe acne who just ooze confidence and do well because of it. One guy I know is VERY masculine, down the gym all the time, and has SEVERE acne...he has since I've known him when we were 15 (we're both 24 now). He wears a full face of foundation wherever he goes, works on his body, and looks good! He doesn't let his acne get in his way :) He's never been single in all the years I've known him.

Besides...would you really want to be with someone who didn't like you if you had bad skin?

I met someone two years ago when my skin was AWFUL. Worse than it ever has been (even worse than the beginning of this year when I started accutane), but for some reason my skin didn't bother me back then. I was confident, happy, out all the time, working out... and we really hit it off. As time went on I moved countries so it became very difficult, so it fizzled out, but now I am back in England and we are giving a serious relationship a go. I panic and worry about my skin now, and it's ten times better than when we first met... so I know that if he liked me back then with such bad skin, he will like me now if I breakout -- and that gives me so much silent support.

This is awesome, glad you found somebody and you feel comfortable. I often think about wearing foundation but never have because if I messed it up and didn't put it on right it would be super embarrassing!

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 09/24/2015 12:15 am

Just letting you know, bare minerals is PERFECT for a man. It's light coverage (so obviously wont cover everything), but gives a skin-looking texture of colour and takes under one minute to apply. I'd say deffo check it out! :)! I even sat in the chair and had the lady put it on me the first time to get my skin tone right - i guess I just didn't care anymore! I just said I was studying makeup artistry or something hahaha xD

But regardless - try keeping positive and confident. :) today i have a couple zits on my back, but I'm just going to tell myself my skin is flawless and pretend

essex11 liked
MemberMember
(@essex11)

Posted : 09/24/2015 12:47 pm

Just letting you know, bare minerals is PERFECT for a man. It's light coverage (so obviously wont cover everything), but gives a skin-looking texture of colour and takes under one minute to apply. I'd say deffo check it out! :)! I even sat in the chair and had the lady put it on me the first time to get my skin tone right - i guess I just didn't care anymore! I just said I was studying makeup artistry or something hahaha xD

But regardless - try keeping positive and confident. :) today i have a couple zits on my back, but I'm just going to tell myself my skin is flawless and pretend

Awesome, I will give it a go one time.....maybe ha!

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 10/06/2015 2:28 pm

I can say without feeling embarrassed that I've used my sister's foundation on numerous occasions when I was in grade school. Mind you I probably did a terrible job with proper application because I would end up with a pretty distinguishable difference in tone of skin, but I paradoxically had extremely olive skin in comparison to the rest of my family.

I'd almost go as far as saying my skin tone resembled what I feel is Egyptian/Armenian complexion.