Notifications
Clear all

Poll: How Long Did It Take You To Consistently Clear Up On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@tiredanddepressed)

Posted : 09/14/2015 4:37 pm

I've been on accutane for 3 months and 2 weeks, yet I'm still breaking out and looking like crap. Is this normal? I don't get cystic acne anymore, but I still look like crap.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 09/14/2015 5:16 pm

5 months was when I stopped getting actives. I'd still get the occasional closed comedone/tiny insignificant pimple til I finished, but after five months i didn't receive a whitehead

MemberMember
(@ihateusernamesx)

Posted : 09/14/2015 6:42 pm

My first round I was consistently clear for 3 years but didnt clear until the very end of treatment. After my second round I cleared after 4 months!

MemberMember
(@cam0175)

Posted : 09/16/2015 9:56 am

A fair amount of people who are on Accutane still "purge" even after several months. In all the posts I've read, people kept on plugging away and eventually their acne improved. Stick with it and you will see results.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/16/2015 4:45 pm

Entire time i was on tane i got small little red bumps

I was waiting for the magical day as well

Sorry...wish I had more positive uplifting news

I'm 4 mnth post tane now and get small small blips frequently but they either stay the same or go away quickly

kim

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 09/16/2015 7:24 pm

3 and a half to four months

MemberMember
(@lizj2011)

Posted : 09/17/2015 11:16 am

I'm so with you. I'm on Month 3.5 I have a clusterf**k of like 4 smaller cystic bumps on each side of my jaw, so.. so irritating.. On top of that, it's taking longer than normal for them to go away, and my jawline is itchy (i wonder if thats a good sign?) and it's extremely dry so it's like shedding volcanoes.. wtf.

OVER THIS.

MemberMember
(@uncrowned)

Posted : 09/17/2015 9:12 pm

well i purged like a mofo in the first week and it lasted for two weeks and it got better by the end of the first month. Like purge i mean ten whiteheads and ten other cysts etc etc, after that the "purging" went down to five each, and then one, and then just one pimple a week like i am now. Happens differently for everyone

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 09/18/2015 5:32 am

I think it depends on many different factors..dosage, type of acne and your own body...everyone really is different. I used Panoxyl 10 (Benzoyl Peroxide) on and off for over 20 years and it did a great job of controlling my acne but didnt help my overactive oil glands, which is why I'm using accutane (it use to be called roaccutane here in the UK).....I'm still using Panoxyl while on accutane but not as much as both dry your skin. In my case it is 22years of overactive oil glands that trigger my mild acne, so I'm hoping that once the accutane starts working and my oil glands slow down, that I will see enough positive improvements that I can stop using the panoxyl.....I'm only day 5 of 20mg daily (low dosage for my weight 88-90kg) but I'm hoping and praying to start seeing positive results soon in the treatment as (in my case) the treatment is more to repair and treat oil glands and not so much for acne...if that makes sense!

Thanks again for this and many of the threads on this site...I jump on most days to read peoples comments and its a big support!

Kind regards

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/18/2015 11:14 am

I think it depends on many different factors..dosage, type of acne and your own body...everyone really is different. I used Panoxyl 10 (Benzoyl Peroxide) on and off for over 20 years and it did a great job of controlling my acne but didnt help my overactive oil glands, which is why I'm using accutane (it use to be called roaccutane here in the UK).....I'm still using Panoxyl while on accutane but not as much as both dry your skin. In my case it is 22years of overactive oil glands that trigger my mild acne, so I'm hoping that once the accutane starts working and my oil glands slow down, that I will see enough positive improvements that I can stop using the panoxyl.....I'm only day 5 of 20mg daily (low dosage for my weight 88-90kg) but I'm hoping and praying to start seeing positive results soon in the treatment as (in my case) the treatment is more to repair and treat oil glands and not so much for acne...if that makes sense!

Thanks again for this and many of the threads on this site...I jump on most days to read peoples comments and its a big support!

Kind regards

Just wanted to jump in and say good luck!

I started tane for mild acne also but also crazy oily skin..using blotting papers every 1/2 hr and having people ask me why am i so sweaty/shiny

I started on 20mg of tane and within 2 weeks it was amazing..all the excess oil went away and my skin looked clear and 'normal'

I decided to increase my dose 9well as per the dr) to get treatment over quickly and that is where things went haywire

Maybe because i want taking tane for severe acne? but just throwing in my 2 cents

good luck to uou!

kim

MemberMember
(@cshock1)

Posted : 09/18/2015 11:42 am

5 months for me. Usually you'll see a bigger difference after you stop the medicine.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 09/18/2015 12:13 pm

Kind regards

Just wanted to jump in and say good luck!

I started tane for mild acne also but also crazy oily skin..using blotting papers every 1/2 hr and having people ask me why am i so sweaty/shiny

I started on 20mg of tane and within 2 weeks it was amazing..all the excess oil went away and my skin looked clear and 'normal'

I decided to increase my dose 9well as per the dr) to get treatment over quickly and that is where things went haywire

Maybe because i want taking tane for severe acne? but just throwing in my 2 cents

good luck to uou!

kim

Hi Kim, many thanks for your reply. My skin sounds very much like yours....so oily all the time and having to use blotting papers etc....all the time to just try and feel normal......after 22years (now early 40's) I'm tried of living like this as you can never "truly" relax without thinking its nearly time to wipe your face to remove that unwanted oil......As you mentioned, my acne was only ever mild if fact some weeks not many spots at all but it was and still is the oil that controls my life and when I cant control the oil, that triggers the mild acne..... My face is feeling very hot today and lips alittle dry but nothing bad.......

Hope you dont mind me asking...What dosage did you increase too? When I spoke to my Derm at the start of treatment 5 days ago she felt a longer term treatment with a low dose would be the best for me, so maybe I should just stick with the 20mg a day when I next have my appointment...

Thanks again for your reply...appreciate it!

Kind regards

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/18/2015 12:22 pm

No worries

ask anything

Im in my ealry 40's as well

I discussed low dose tane with my Dr (after being denied spiro)

I thought we were on the same page until she handed me my first rx for tane for 60mg

I expressed my concerns and IB

so she suggested i take 20mg the first mnth and increase to 40mg for a mnth than 60mg

I promised myself with each increase I wouldnt increase my dose further (but i did...which i now regret)

I was told mid treatment if I didnt increase to 8o mg the treatment wouldnt work and my oily skin would return (and mild breakouts)

I had the annoying typical side effects but also major lethagy

so decided to increase to 60mg for a brief while so that I could finish my 6mnth treatment

Im 4 mnths post tane and the shine is coming back

though no where near how bad it was pre tane

Im a little concerned with congestion coming back to my nose (again i think due to the oily skin)

GL with your treatment plan

any other questions, just fire away..gl

kim

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 09/18/2015 2:03 pm

No worries

ask anything

I thought we were on the same page until she handed me my first rx for tane for 60mg

so she suggested i take 20mg the first mnth and increase to 40mg for a mnth than 60mg

I promised myself with each increase I wouldnt increase my dose further (but i did...which i now regret)

I was told mid treatment if I didnt increase to 8o mg the treatment wouldnt work and my oily skin would return (and mild breakouts)

so decided to increase to 60mg for a brief while so that I could finish my 6mnth treatment

Im a little concerned with congestion coming back to my nose (again i think due to the oily skin)

kim

Hi Kim...you are a star! thank you for your quick reply, I really do appreciate it! ;)

I did have a 6month course about 7years ago but the oil came back after a year but my acne has been alot better since that last treatment. My current Derm said a low dosage for longer period might be the best way to go as I've already tried the high dosage 6month treatment in the past...My panoxyl 10 has always done a great job with my acne and still does a good job so I'm trying to use it still for the first couple of weeks on my accutane treatment so my skin still has something that it use too (didnt want to completely stop the Benzol Peroxide as it might be more of a shock just stopping completely after 20 years of using it).....but both Benzol Peroxide and accutane are very drying so need to keep that balance right, not even using much moisturizer

yet just a little Garnier Pure A, which is the same I've used the last 10 years....just didnt want to change everything at once as want to protect against the breakout everyone talks about when starting their accutane course........

Thankyou again for allowing me to ask you these questions......Looking back over your treatment, do you feel sticking at the lower dose for longer might have been the better/easier option? Am I right in thinking by sticking on 20mg I would need to be on this treatment for longer (maybe even close to 8-10months?) I dont mind being on this treatment for a longer period if I can reduce the chance of breakouts / side effects...

Kind regards

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/18/2015 2:57 pm

No worries

ask anything

kim

Hi Kim...you are a star! thank you for your quick reply, I really do appreciate it! ;)

I did have a 6month course about 7years ago but the oil came back after a year but my acne has been alot better since that last treatment. My current Derm said a low dosage for longer period might be the best way to go as I've already tried the high dosage 6month treatment in the past...My panoxyl 10 has always done a great job with my acne and still does a good job so I'm trying to use it still for the first couple of weeks on my accutane treatment so my skin still has something that it use too (didnt want to completely stop the Benzol Peroxide as it might be more of a shock just stopping completely after 20 years of using it).....but both Benzol Peroxide and accutane are very drying so need to keep that balance right, not even using much moisturizer

yet just a little Garnier Pure A, which is the same I've used the last 10 years....just didnt want to change everything at once as want to protect against the breakout everyone talks about when starting their accutane course........

Thankyou again for allowing me to ask you these questions......Looking back over your treatment, do you feel sticking at the lower dose for longer might have been the better/easier option? Am I right in thinking by sticking on 20mg I would need to be on this treatment for longer (maybe even close to 8-10months?) I dont mind being on this treatment for a longer period if I can reduce the chance of breakouts / side effects...

Kind regards

No problem.

Glad I could help

I think being on such a low dose you would be looking at a 10mnth treatment (give or take maybe 1 yr)

BUT looking back I think I would have stayed at 20mg longer

I think increasing my dose fried my skin..causing it to be so ultra sensitive now (where I cant even use 2.5% BP or retin-a)

I also think my side effects picked up with my increased dose..and that point i figured i would keep at the higher dose and get treatment over with!

NOT realizing 4mnths post atne mys kin would be this red/sensitive

I assumed after i stopped taking tane my skin would calm down.

Good luck again!

anything else just shoot me a pM

kim

chippy1 liked