Notifications
Clear all

Ortho Cyclen Log

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 09/14/2015 2:18 pm

Hello All!

Like all of you I am on a quest to clear my skin and bring my body to some form of hormonal balance. A little about my acne i actually never had acne issue until I went on another bcp (for PCOS and irregular cycles) called Lutera. I was on that for 2 months or so and came off of it because I was getting really weird side effects like night sweats, nausea and mild acne of course. When I came off of it all hell broke loose and I started experiencing hot flashes, more acne, extremely oily skin, and body acne. I became severely depressed for about 6 months and began researching and started using Dong Quai, Licorice Root and Peony Extract. While this did help regulate my cycle initially i started getting weird side effects and worse acne and stopped.

Now I actually tried Ortho Cyclen before and took it for about 11 days and broke out in BAD cystic acne. I am prone to cystic acne but don't experience them often. Spiro also causes me to breakout in cysts but to be fair I've never given either medication a fair shot... the cysts really scare the crap out of me. Now why dont I try something like yasmin/yaz you ask? Well I also suffer from hormonal migraines with Aura. I did actually try Yasmin this summer for 4 days and immediately got off and not only experienced worse acne but also migraines.

So why ortho cyclen? Well the brief amount of time I took it my chest acne cleared up almost immediately. The skin on my face aside from the cysts that formed was super soft and smooth. And when I came off of it not only did I not get anymore cysts my skin on my face got much clearer and my chest actually stayed clear until I tried to mess around with Yasmin. Weird stuff lol. So here I am about to start Ortho again and the whole purpose of me doing this is to hopefully get support to get through this initial breakout period. And to commit myself to sticking to regimen and maintain a positive attitude which is hard because acne makes me super depressed. Hopefully this will be a way for me to track my success and help out others going through something similar to me. Will start Ortho soon and have started Metformin 500mg. Wish me luck guys will keep this updated! Thanks

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 09/16/2015 10:43 pm

Well this us more for myself than for anyone else I guess.

Status of skin:

Extremely oily, red, plenty of clogs waiting to turn active. I have a HUGE cyst right under my eye that just came to a head tonight so I had to pop it. I am not kidding I've had this for over a month and this is the second time it's inflamed. Oddly my cysts never come to head this one did. Now it's so inflamed and feels huge under my skin in such an obvious place. Ugh. My chest is okay no clogs. My back is messy clogged oily bumpiness.

Thoughts:

I have a derm appointment on the 28th to a new guy. I'm hoping that we can speak about accutane. I've been getting more and more cystic breakouts alot of inflammation. I will start bcp on Sunday but I'm hoping that if they don't work out and my skin goes really bad we consider it at least. I'm just so depressed over my skin man. I feel like I've tried so much already switching topicals and antibiotics and my skin just always looks like shit. I'm praying to God that this year I really get a hold of my skin and feel beautiful again.

Regimen:

Purpose cleanser AM

2.5% bp AM

Doxy 100mg (took 2 today)

Advil liquid gels (took 2 for that cyst)

Purpose cleanser PM

Tazorac gel 1% PM

Wish me luck bless you all!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/19/2015 11:34 am

Status of skin:

Extremely oily, red, plenty of clogs waiting to turn active. I have a HUGE cyst right under my eye that just came to a head tonight so I had to pop it. I am not kidding I've had this for over a month and this is the second time it's inflamed. Oddly my cysts never come to head this one did. Now it's so inflamed and feels huge under my skin in such an obvious place. Ugh. My chest is okay no clogs. My back is messy clogged oily bumpiness.

Thoughts:

I have a derm appointment on the 28th to a new guy. I'm hoping that we can speak about accutane. I've been getting more and more cystic breakouts alot of inflammation. I will start bcp on Sunday but I'm hoping that if they don't work out and my skin goes really bad we consider it at least. I'm just so depressed over my skin man. I feel like I've tried so much already switching topicals and antibiotics and my skin just always looks like shit. I'm praying to God that this year I really get a hold of my skin and feel beautiful again.

Regimen:

Purpose cleanser AM

2.5% bp AM

Purpose cleanser PM

Tazorac gel 1% PM

Hi Krissy. I feel you with the never ending acne...ugh! Hormonal intervention is such a draining no thing as it can take months and things may or may not work. Keep positive! It's worth giving the bc a try because accutane will not stop your acne if it's truly hormonal.

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 09/19/2015 11:58 am

Status of skin:

Thoughts:

Regimen:

Purpose cleanser AM

2.5% bp AM

Purpose cleanser PM

Tazorac gel 1% PM

Hi Krissy. I feel you with the never ending acne...ugh! Hormonal intervention is such a draining no thing as it can take months and things may or may not work. Keep positive! It's worth giving the bc a try because accutane will not stop your acne if it's truly hormonal.

Thanks so much for your advice and response. My acne is totally hormonal I just hate the worse before better stage. Last time I took ortho I got so discouraged even though my chest magically cleared. And initially my face was clearing and was so smooth then the cysts just freaked me out. They are so deep and painful and I'm afraid it ultimately won't work. It just embarrassing to be 25 and going to work with a face full of painful cysts. I have my pills and will be starting tomorrow. Hopefully this initial breakout won't last too long. Thanks so much for the well wishes and the support it means alot to me.

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 12/17/2015 2:29 pm

So I have been doing a poor job updating this and I'm sorry to anyone whos reading.

I've actually been on Ortho Cyclen for a little while. I'm about a week into my third pack. I haven't really experienced the freak initial break out I experienced last time. I was so afraid to say that but I am thankful. In the last month I have gotten one cyst which is fine. I started with one on each cheekbone. Now as far as my skin on my face I'm still oily as ever and still breaking out not too badly tho. So I just saw a new derm and they offered me accutane. And I'll be starting in a month. I'm praying this will be it for me. So stay tuned accutane log coming soon!!!!

Have a beautiful holiday!!!

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 12/25/2015 6:10 pm

Just wanted to update for everyone. I'm still waiting to start accutane. I'm concerned though about this birthcontrol and maybe it's not working for me. On the plus side I am not getting cysts anymore YAY! My skin is just slightly less oily but not by a whole lot. I notice my makeup last longer which is nice. But for some reason this month my chest is breaking out again..after being clear for 2 months. My skin on my face feels more congested than ever. I'm still breaking out but thankfully still one at a time and they're still small and pop. I'm just so confused this is my third month does this mean it's not working for me? It's so bizarre the first two months my face was improving now it not feeling that way.

MemberMember
(@antonellad)

Posted : 06/25/2016 4:13 am

if you have pcos then you most likely have a condition called insulin resistance you dont need to start accutane or take the pill those are the worst things you could do for you and your skin , you need to treat your insulin resistance by diet correction and supplements 
you have to stop eating sugar in all forms except for fresh fruit but not the juice though because there is no fiber only sugar in it even if it is natural
if you do this your acne will clear dont bother taking supplements that can regulate your cycle like peony and licorice, that is a good choice by the way, but not for your type of pcos witch must be insulin resistance type.
to improve this condition you can also benefit from supplements such as berberine (which is a natural herb that science has proved to be as effective as metformin), inositol, magnesium and vitamin d do this and acne will clear for the diet part you could try going keto or peleo you just need to avoid sugar in all forms 
good luck :)