Notifications
Clear all

Tiny, White Pustules All Over After Dermapen! What Is Going On?

MemberMember
(@pverma23)

Posted : 09/13/2015 11:36 am

Yesterday afternoon, I had my first Dermapen session with a trained professional. She used a 1.5mm needle and put Proderm Hydrogel on my skin after the treatment. Yesterday was as expected: my face was red and a bit sore, nothing out of the ordinary. I was washing my face with tepid water and reapplying the gel every two hours as directed.

This morning, however, was another story. I woke up to find my face covered in tiny white pustules, like whiteheads! It's so awful; it looks horrific and it feels like a slight prickly pain. My skin is red and inflamed, as I was told it would be, but these whiteheads...I don't know why this is happening!!

I'm very worried about this . I tried to call her clinic, but she is closed on Sundays so I won't hear from her until tomorrow. In the mean time, has anyone experienced this? Any idea what I should do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 09/13/2015 12:17 pm

That's strange. It was likely the hydrogel that clogged up the pores.

Try oil cleansing! With hot water, soak a cloth (preferably a microfiber one) and then just cover your whole face with it for 20-30 seconds. Then rinse. Repeat once a day. This has kept my acne at bay as well.

Do you have a picture?

PVerma23 liked
MemberMember
(@pverma23)

Posted : 09/13/2015 1:07 pm

Try oil cleansing! With hot water, soak a cloth (preferably a microfiber one) and then just cover your whole face with it for 20-30 seconds. Then rinse. Repeat once a day. This has kept my acne at bay as well.

Do you have a picture?

Thanks for your response, Robertitoo. You may be right, it could be the gel. It's supposed to be key in the healing process though, not sure what would happen if I just stopped using it completely. I will definitely try the oil cleansing method! :) I do have pictures...but they're so gross I don't even want to post them lol :(

MemberMember
(@fortuneshill)

Posted : 09/13/2015 3:39 pm

Do you have a picture?

I do have pictures...but they're so gross I don't even want to post them lol :(

It's an Acne forum, I wouldn't worry too much, no one would see it any different than any other photo posted on this forum :D.

MemberMember
(@pverma23)

Posted : 09/15/2015 1:27 pm

Yesterday afternoon, I had my first Dermapen session with a trained professional. She used a 1.5mm needle and put Proderm Hydrogel on my skin after the treatment. Yesterday was as expected: my face was red and a bit sore, nothing out of the ordinary. I was washing my face with tepid water and reapplying the gel every two hours as directed.

This morning, however, was another story. I woke up to find my face covered in tiny white pustules, like whiteheads! It's so awful; it looks horrific and it feels like a slight prickly pain. My skin is red and inflamed, as I was told it would be, but these whiteheads...I don't know why this is happening!!

I'm very worried about this . I tried to call her clinic, but she is closed on Sundays so I won't hear from her until tomorrow. In the mean time, has anyone experienced this? Any idea what I should do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi people, in case anyone encounters a similar issue, I would like to just give an update.

I had the treatment on 4PM Saturday afternoon. Woke up Sunday with whiteheads/white pustules over the areas (cheeks) where the Dermapen had been used. I was not able to contact the clinic - they were closed on Sunday. I continued the regular regime the woman who performed my treatment had told me to follow: rinse every two hours with plain water and apply the provided gel. Throughout the day the whiteheads were getting bigger and worse. My skin was becoming increasingly red and sore.

Monday morning, I woke up and the whiteheads were even WORSE. I kept up with the water rinse and gel until I finally got a hold of the woman. She told me that my skin was reacting in this way because even though I did not have any active pimples at the time of the treatment, my acne IS still active and I am extremely acne prone. She said that this was normal and that I should continue rinsing every two hours with water, using the gel and that I should NOT apply anything (cleanser, toner, moisturizer makeup) on my skin until the whiteheads and redness are gone.

By Monday evening the whiteheads actually had started to die down on their own. It is now Tuesday morning (almost 72 hours since the treatment). Redness has greatly reduced. Few whiteheads are left. Skin is still a bit sore to the touch and gets flakey/itchy (the gel really helps these symptoms).

crys31 liked
MemberMember
(@crys31)

Posted : 04/05/2018 2:52 pm

I came across your reviews three years later and I'm currently struggling with the same issue. After my 3rd session of micropen full face , it never fails that I get dramatic white pustules on my chin only. It is barely my second day so hopefully it goes away by tomorrow

MemberMember
(@fionabach)

Posted : 06/22/2019 7:56 am

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for this thread! I went through the EXACT same thingas what happened to PVerma23. I got microneedling done with hyaluronic acid on Wednesday at 3pm. My face was red and inflamed for the rest of the day but it was smooth and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The next day (Thursday), I woke up to angry clusters of whiteheads that were just beginning to surface. It was so disgusting, I shudder just thinking about it. Throughout the day, it kept getting worse as the whiteheads came to the surface. The itchiness also worsened so my sweet boyfriend went out to buy aloe vera leaves for me because I couldn't leave the house looking like this. The aloe helped soothe the itchiness and redness somewhat, it definitely provided relief. But I still looked absolutely horrendous. I kept re-applying the aloe every 2 hours or so, depending on the itchiness (I rinsed with cool water first). At night, I washed with castile soap and applied CeraVe moisturizer.

The next morning (Friday), I looked even worse because all the whiteheads came to a head, my forehead was the worst. It was just COVERED in tiny whiteheads. My chin was also affected as well as between my eyebrows, around my nose, and the apples of my cheeks. It looked so horrific I wanted to cover up all the mirrors. By that evening the whiteheads began popping on their own. No bleeding or anything thank God, I didn't want them to get worse or infected. I went to bed with far fewer whiteheads but the red scars left behind were raised and extremely inflamed. I woke up this morning (Saturday) and the inflammation and redness died down a lot. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. My skin is very dry today though so I've been moisturizing a lot with CeraVe. It's also still itchy and flakey, but the aloe gel helps relieve that. I finally feel brave enough to leave the house today to get groceries. Crossing my fingers that the redness will continue to subside and the dryness will go away.

I just want to thank everyone who participated in this thread. I cannot even explain how much you've helped me get through this nightmare. Just knowing that it got better for PVerma23, gave me so much hope even when my face was at its worst. And it's amazing that my skin went through the exact same trajectory as hers, I mean day for day. So thank you, thank you, and please, if you're suffering with this right now, don't lose hope, don't touch your face, use aloe for relief, drink water, sleep and it will get better!

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 06/28/2019 10:44 am

It has been a long time since that post but I had similar reaction on some places and these pustules transformed into millia - white clogged dots under the skin.

MemberMember
(@emily-parker0gmail-com)

Posted : 12/19/2020 11:38 am

I have the same thing after microneedling at home for first time. Did it finally go away?

MemberMember
(@alexalex)

Posted : 05/10/2021 1:07 pm

Hi everyone!

I have had two micro needling sessions.

The first time I had at least 30 whiteheads/pustules on my chin sprout ( honestly the best verb I could think of) the day after and it gotworse by 3rd or 4thday. I should add on these days my skin was itchy and I wanted to like shave them off or something, I was very annoyed but I used all my self control to leave them alone.On the fifth day there weremaybeone or two left. A week later it was cleared and I never got them again or even a pimple on my chin ( which is crazy cause I have had something going on my chin since I was a teen andI am in my mid 30's now).

The second time I still had white heads/pustules on my chin but far less. I would say 10 angry ones. Five days later they were gone. I handled it better the second time around because I knew the results would be worth it. Also the redness was less. I think your skin gets the program.

It was very tricky the first time to stay calm cause some of the descriptions online were very chill such as a slight red discoloration the day after. They did not describe my personal skin's reaction. I was a tomato face for 3 days with volcanos erupting on my chin.But a month later after the treatment my skin was glorious!! Radiant! Luminous!!!Be patient. It will get better I am sure of it. You need to go through one skin cycle ( which is about a month) for the first results to show. I think it will just keep getting better and better.

MemberMember
(@lady-srm)

Posted : 07/12/2021 10:13 pm

On 9/13/2015 at 11:07 AM, PVerma23 said:

Thanks for your response, Robertitoo. You may be right, it could be the gel. It's supposed to be key in the healing process though, not sure what would happen if I just stopped using it completely. I will definitely try the oil cleansing method! :) I do have pictures...but they're so gross I don't even want to post them lol :(

The same thing has happened to me twice. I agree, it™s awful. I™m breaking out more than I have in my entire existence. I don™t know what it is either. I have one more appt in my series. I don™t think I™ll do this again if only fir this reason.