Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone ?

MemberMember
(@nomsies)

Posted : 09/12/2015 5:55 pm

Okay, anyone who has done sufficient research on Spiro or has taken it: I need your help!

I was on Accutane because I had a few small cysts/nodules and Accutane then gave me severe cysts! It went away after that but came back after stopping. I don't want to take another course of Accutane so I'm thinking good Ol' Spironolactone.

I'm starting to get those harder/soft 1cm bumps under my skin again that are kind of red/purple so I'm gutted. A lot of people who take Spiro have normal acne (in photos I've seen) so will this help my type of acne? My acne is mostly inflammatory, the cystic or whatever they are kind, and then the whiteheads and etc - which I don't mind.

I'm an eighteen year old girl, super skinny, thin hair and a HIGH sex drive. I'm worried Spiro will give me even thinner hair, make me lose even more weight/muscle and diminish my sex drive :( Libido is so important and I basically have a teenage boys! Insight on this drug? I'm worried most it will make it worse and give me a tumour or something.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 09/13/2015 10:02 am

spironolactone is a diuretic, so you may lose water-weight, but it shouldn't affect your muscle mass (as long as you exercise). In terms of your hair, it is actually known to support hair growth in women. Some women have reported a diminished sex drive with spiro, I did not. That being said, it's a valid concern to bring up to your doctor.