Notifications
Clear all

Who Has The Best Scar Doctor In The Usa

MemberMember
(@njnightrider)

Posted : 09/12/2015 2:55 am

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been here. I had subcision with Dr. Rappaport from NY about 2 years ago. One session for a mix of rolling, boxcar scars. Outcome was mediocre at best, very little improvement and lots of post inflammatory pigmentation that lasted over a yr (still has some). Fast forward to today, I'm still very unhappy with my scarring. So I'm looking to fly pretty much anywhere in the US to get treated. I don't want to just do lasers, maybe a combination of treatments.......

Long story short, I have rolling/boxcar scars and post inflammatory pigmentation that I want treated. I'm in NJ but willing to travel if you had success with your practitioner.

Thanks in advance!!

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 09/12/2015 8:23 am

IMO: [Edited link out] I reccomend Young if you have serious acne scarring

If you just have rolling and or boxcar, go with subcision + suction with a reputable surgeon that doesn't charge 1k for subcision..

I went to Dr. Rullan in Chula. Grteat doctor + prices.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 09/12/2015 7:36 pm

Robertito, Dr. Young is a terrible doctor. Check out his reviews on Realself.com, especially the older ones. They are shockingly bad. He disfigured quite a few people, but those reviews are buried by new reviews that are very suspect. I'm almost certain the newer reviews are fake and meant to inflate his reputation which is abysmal. One guy he over-injected with fat grafting for a few tiny acne scars and basically the guy went from having a slim face to a round overdone face. It's really really bad.

Do not believe anything you read about this doctor, he is bad. I would not be surprised that he has malpractice suits against him, and will eventually have his license revoked.

Dr. Rappaport does not have good reviews. He uses decades old befores and afters pictures and markets aggressively. I still get spammed by his office.

Dr. Mark Taylor in Salt Lake City, UT does some interesting things. He believes in aggressive subcision and using multiple approaches, not just laser.

He worked a minor miracle on this Asian guy with really severe scars. Granted, this guy never gave us a true long-term update, but the results looked promising.

http://www.realself.com/review/salt-lake-city-ut-acne-scars-treatment-acne-scar-treatment-subcision-fotoma#

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 09/12/2015 7:53 pm

If we were talking worldwide, I think Dr. Davin Lim in Brisbane, Australia has the best before and afters I've seen online. His results are good, and his pictures are routinely ripped off by other clinics who apparently are dishonest enough to pass off his work as their own.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/13/2015 7:53 am

If you can afford go for Dr. Rahimi in LA and Dr. Griffin in Atlanta. They do stem cell fat grafting with subcision which is the best treatment I think.

MemberMember
(@roman95)

Posted : 09/13/2015 3:52 pm

Has anyone ever had a visit with Dr. Nelson Lee Novick for acne or acne scars?

MemberMember
(@ang22)

Posted : 09/13/2015 9:15 pm

I actually got him on the phone a couple months ago! had some questions for the receptionist and he came on the line. He just said he doesn't believe lasers work- I asked if he has any and he said yes but they do not get used. They use them as shelving! Lol. I was shocked with how much his consultation fee was though- can't remember what it was but I'm pretty sure it was over $300! Just for a consult! Seemed friendly but arrogant- so pretty typical I think...his opinion is an interesting one and is similar to a lot of the .org members- that lasers don't help scars. Too bad he has no before and afters to show!

IMO: http://www.drphilipyoung.com/procedures/acne-scar-treatment/ I reccomend Young if you have serious acne scarring

If you just have rolling and or boxcar, go with subcision + suction with a reputable surgeon that doesn't charge 1k for subcision..

I emailed Dr. Rullan in May. This Stephanie Rullan and I emailed a few times and she provided more before and after photos. She said to send some pics and she would have the dr take a look. They never got back to me! I emailed her 2 more times to ask what kind of treatment they would recommend and no one ever did email back. I was disappointed and confused but gave up on getting a reply!

MemberMember
(@njnightrider)

Posted : 09/13/2015 10:51 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! So I looked into all of these and the pictures of Davin Lim were incredible. I'm using my miles for flight and stay but Australia is crazy expensive when I'm off from work. My scarring is moderate, mostly in the cheek area. Doing a little research I think a good procedure for me would be subcision, fraxel re:pair combined with bellafill, and re-cell (sight, I wish, no-recell in US). So I'm looking into some of the names you guys given me to see who can perform all preferably at once. Thanks again and keep them coming, this could be useful to others as well.

I actually got him on the phone a couple months ago! had some questions for the receptionist and he came on the line. He just said he doesn't believe lasers work- I asked if he has any and he said yes but they do not get used. They use them as shelving! Lol. I was shocked with how much his consultation fee was though- can't remember what it was but I'm pretty sure it was over $300! Just for a consult! Seemed friendly but arrogant- so pretty typical I think...his opinion is an interesting one and is similar to a lot of the .org members- that lasers don't help scars. Too bad he has no before and afters to show!

IMO: http://www.drphilipyoung.com/procedures/acne-scar-treatment/ I reccomend Young if you have serious acne scarring

I emailed Dr. Rullan in May. This Stephanie Rullan and I emailed a few times and she provided more before and after photos. She said to send some pics and she would have the dr take a look. They never got back to me! I emailed her 2 more times to ask what kind of treatment they would recommend and no one ever did email back. I was disappointed and confused but gave up on getting a reply!

If I remember correctly Noviks prices were crazy high even tho I went to DR. Rappaport for my first treatment, and DR Rullan's reviews are not too good. Not trying to risk it a second time.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 09/13/2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! So I looked into all of these and the pictures of Davin Lim were incredible. I'm using my miles for flight and stay but Australia is crazy expensive when I'm off from work. My scarring is moderate, mostly in the cheek area. Doing a little research I think a good procedure for me would be subcision, fraxel re:pair combined with bellafill, and re-cell (sight, I wish, no-recell in US). So I'm looking into some of the names you guys given me to see who can perform all preferably at once. Thanks again and keep them coming, this could be useful to others as well.

If your acne scarring is truly moderate I wouldn't bother with any of the procedures you mentioned except subcison. Try Subcision + Suction (2 sessions is ideal) spaced out a few months apart then decide to whether you want to continue with another round of subcision or combine it with repair. Definitely leave that for last if you're going to take that route.

There's also needling and peels that you could combine for a more polished look that's much cheaper than fxl:repair

missamua liked
MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 09/14/2015 3:46 am

I agree. Dr. Lim has the most before and afters I've seen online, and most importantly the pictures seem honest. By that I mean, no doctoring of the photos like by taking the before shot with harsh overhead lighting, and then taking after pictures with a direct flash. If he was in the US, I wouldn't hesitate to go see him.

He's pretty honest in saying that it takes multiple procedures, so if you're in the US, that would be prohibitively expensive and not practical logistically.

Ang22 liked
MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/14/2015 7:01 am

Results look incredible on this one and costs only 300 USD.

http://www.realself.com/review/vadodara-india-scar-removal-41-year-subcision-fat-transfer-cheeks#

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 09/14/2015 8:52 am

I just saw him last week! He is a very knowledgeable doctor and is very nice and spent a lot of time talking with me and explaining everything. He told me the raised scars on my chin are hypertrophic scars so he injected them and said that should make them flatten out pretty nicely. He said I can come back in 3-4 months to get needling done on the area if I want as well. He charged me $350 for 3 injections so I didnt think that was very much. He also told me he has no consultation fee so I just paid the $350 and was on my way. I also liked that he has a no wait policy so when you go into the office he is ready for you so that part was cool. I have seen probably 15 doctors in the last 3 years and he was the only one that really listened to me and really seemed to care. I would highly recommend him and will be making the trek to NYC every few months to see him. I want him to work on a few of my indented scars too.

QuanHenry, blahblahblahblahz, Ang22 and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@njnightrider)

Posted : 09/17/2015 8:39 pm

I just saw him last week! He is a very knowledgeable doctor and is very nice and spent a lot of time talking with me and explaining everything. He told me the raised scars on my chin are hypertrophic scars so he injected them and said that should make them flatten out pretty nicely. He said I can come back in 3-4 months to get needling done on the area if I want as well. He charged me $350 for 3 injections so I didnt think that was very much. He also told me he has no consultation fee so I just paid the $350 and was on my way. I also liked that he has a no wait policy so when you go into the office he is ready for you so that part was cool. I have seen probably 15 doctors in the last 3 years and he was the only one that really listened to me and really seemed to care. I would highly recommend him and will be making the trek to NYC every few months to see him. I want him to work on a few of my indented scars too.

Really? I felt the complete opposite when I called their office. I'm close to the city so he was always an option. I think I'm flying to Salt Lake city guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 09/17/2015 9:44 pm

Wow thats odd who did you talk to? Sunji does all the scheduling but i only talked to him via email before my appointment and he wrote me back right away both times and was very nice. When i went to his office he spent an hour with me talking about everything before he even did the injections he was literally the nicest doc i've ever met. You are so close I would see him if you have the chance he knows so much about all types of scarring and he wont do any procedure unless he thinks its the best option for you. He doesnt use lasers either which i love because having been duped out a few grand on lasers that dont work its nice to finally see improvement on these scars. Good luck to you in whatever you do

;)

MemberMember
(@njnightrider)

Posted : 09/19/2015 10:03 am

Wow thats odd who did you talk to? Sunji does all the scheduling but i only talked to him via email before my appointment and he wrote me back right away both times and was very nice. When i went to his office he spent an hour with me talking about everything before he even did the injections he was literally the nicest doc i've ever met. You are so close I would see him if you have the chance he knows so much about all types of scarring and he wont do any procedure unless he thinks its the best option for you. He doesnt use lasers either which i love because having been duped out a few grand on lasers that dont work its nice to finally see improvement on these scars. Good luck to you in whatever you do

;)

Hey Tracy, this was about 3 years ago so I have no idea but, the fact that you had such a good experience its making me rethink my options, considering he's super close. I'll give them Monday to schedule an appointment.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 09/19/2015 1:47 pm

I think thats a great idea! I do have his email too if you want it. I say go for a consult and see what he has to say and go from there. Keep me updated!

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 09/21/2015 6:08 pm

I think thats a great idea! I do have his email too if you want it. I say go for a consult and see what he has to say and go from there. Keep me updated!

Can you please PM me his email? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@greycinema)

Posted : 09/24/2015 8:20 pm

Bump. I'm also really close to NJ and am willing to travel to whoever's good (which I'm having a really hard time figuring out). Njnightrider, can you give us an update?

MemberMember
(@seehelp)

Posted : 07/06/2016 5:45 am

I am planning to see Dr Nelson Novick in thr future too. I tried email him few times. He seems very nice and answered all my questions very detailed. He said that his price for subcision is range 250-375 per site (i dont know what does 'site' here mean)

Because i live in Europe he also recommend that he has an office in Israel (which is his hometown) and the cost of procedure there is just one-quarter of what he charges in NY. That seems nice to me.

Can you guys give more review for me about him. Does he has consultation fee?

keving100 liked
MemberMember
(@keving100)

Posted : 01/10/2017 10:59 am

On 7/6/2016 at 6:45 AM, SeeHelp said:

I am planning to see Dr Nelson Novick in thr future too. I tried email him few times. He seems very nice and answered all my questions very detailed. He said that his price for subcision is range 250-375 per site (i dont know what does 'site' here mean)

Because i live in Europe he also recommend that he has an office in Israel (which is his hometown) and the cost of procedure there is just one-quarter of what he charges in NY. That seems nice to me.

Can you guys give more review for me about him. Does he has consultation fee?

I would stay away from Nelson Novick. He charges $250 per scar for subcision. I got 5 scars dont for $1250 and i dont see much results. I have about 20 atropic scars on my face. I would rather spend $400 and fly to Dr rullan and get subcision done from him for the whole face for less then $500.
Also Nelson Novick charges $750 for TCA CROSS. His consultation fee is about $400, but he waives the fee if you get treatment done from him.

He doesnt use any special tangential lighting to expose all the scars. He just have a simple lamp besides the bed.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 01/10/2017 9:04 pm

10 hours ago, keving100 said:
I would stay away from Nelson Novick. He charges $250 per scar for subcision. I got 5 scars dont for $1250 and i dont see much results. I have about 20 atropic scars on my face. I would rather spend $400 and fly to Dr rullan and get subcision done from him for the whole face for less then $500.
Also Nelson Novick charges $750 for TCA CROSS. His consultation fee is about $400, but he waives the fee if you get treatment done from him.

He doesnt use any special tangential lighting to expose all the scars. He just have a simple lamp besides the bed.

I was planning on seeing him, no this is a little disappointing. I want subcision with filler but don't want a 2 grand bill.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 01/11/2017 10:43 am

I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Novick either. I went to him for scars, and a full body check. Besides scars on my face I had a rash about a nickel sized that simply wldnt go away. When I got there we ended up on focusing on suspicious moles. I had 4 removed at 350$ each, yes you read that right. I showed him the spot on my forehead, which I had cryosurgery on 10 months prior and he told me it was just healing, and that it was fine. I also had a clogged pore right on my lip line that was noticeable. I asked him if he cld extract it and he said np. It took him all of 2 seconds and he charged me 200$ for it! I was beyond shocked when I saw on bill. He does not accept insurance. Also the body check was 350$. I did know of all these charges prior, except the extraction. I was going to him bc he seemed to know his stuff.

The story gets worse...I got one biopsy result within a week...he sent the biopsies to 2 different labs. I got one result in a week and it was negative thank god. He sent the result via email..w really no explanation..just said it was negative. Well then I waited another week for the other results and got nothing. I called the office 3 times and left messages. (btw always had a problem reaching his office by phone, he seems to prefer email). Waited another week to call bc I had heard nothing, I also had sent emails and nothing. I finally reached the office and his receptionist said she was sorry but they were on vacation. What I found so aggravating is that the whole week he was answering tons of questions on real self.

The receptionist told me she wld look for my results and wld get back to me. Well that day I get an email from Novick ..a very short one stating the results had come back and all was ok. Well this made me mad bc I wanted info on what the suspicious moles were. So I emailed him back asking for the results to be sent to me, which was a whole other ordeal that took about a week.

I got my results emailed finally...well got even more disgusted w him...he got All of my results back in 2 days from both labs, the copies he sent had the fax numbers and dates on them. Like really ...you made me wait weeks for results, but you had the time to answer 50 questions on real self..grrr

The real clincher is that in June I saw a Dr. who was like you need to have the spot on your forehead biopsied. Well it came back as a basal cell cancer and I had to have Mohs surgery. Pisses me off bc Novick blew it off, like I was being paranoid. I told him how long I had the spot and everything, and he was like its nothing. Yes my derm had blown me off too abt it, but also my derm didn't gloathow long hes been in the business and how he was like the first dr. to do botox injections in the US...

I found Novick very arrogant. I do have to say the one good thing I did like abt him is he does not overbook, and there is zero wait time. He makes sure there is enough time for appointments, he does not rush at all. I also can't really comment on how well he does w scars..actually he seems to get pretty good review for that..I just wanted to post my experience with him