Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Acne After Stopping Birth Control (Not Cystic)

MemberMember
(@andreafvp)

Posted : 09/12/2015 2:15 am

I am desperate for an all natural cure for my acne!

I had really bad acne three years ago because i was working at a french fry restaurant. After I quit I started using chemicals on my face & then i also went on birth control so my skin was completely blemish free. I'm trying to switch to a more natural lifestyle now. I've stopped using the chemicals & I went off birth control 3-4 months ago. My skin is COVERED in papules, pustules, blackheads and whiteheads. It's been hard finding all natural cures that aren't for cystic acne. My skin regimen at the moment is Herbalism face wash from lush, an apple cider vinegar toner, argan oil as a moisturizer & I've just started using grease lightning as a spot treatment. I also take evening primrose capsules to balance out my hormones. I've tried so many remedies (washing my face with coconut oil, washing with raw honey, witch hazel toner, tea tree oil spot treatment, charcoal soap, etc). At this point I'm just desperate for a cure (preferably one that works on chest acne, as well)! Or at least something to stop the big white ones from sprouting. I find it hard to look at myself and it's causing me stress which i know makes it worse. If anyone has gone through the same thing I have & has any recommendations, I would be so thankful!!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/12/2015 7:56 am

Hello. The misconception is that it has to be all or nothing. Natural is great but it may not work for your skin. It seems that you're doing way too much. Pick 1 or 2 things to use and good vet it a few months. Also, if you haven't addressed it, diet could help.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 09/17/2015 7:47 pm

I'm in the same boat as you right now and came here looking for solutions. I don't know what to do either!

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 10/06/2015 6:41 pm

There is a phenomenon I've always called endocrine overcompensation or estrogen rebound as some may say. (Never found any academic literature that properly labels this action.) It can observed within our metabolic regulatory activities as well. e.g glycogen supercompensation It is the result of oral contraceptives and their associated ability to alter the females' uterus, notably it's endometrium layer and stroma tissue.
Birth control and it's interactions with the hypothalamus-pituitary-ovarian axis can be described as atrophic and/or inhibitory to it's natural function. It is well documented that atrophy of any endocrine or exocrine gland leads to diminished activity in comparison to it's previous behavior prior to contraceptive-mediated alterations. Inversely, once the compound accentuating it's presence by adjusting the natural biological communication within the female endocrine's negative feedback loop mechanism, over compensatory actions can occur. This can be described as over production of oestrogens and/or progestagens to presumably compensate for what it was perceiving to be diminished hormone synthesis. (Human body ignorantly will begin some extreme over compensatory measures in the hopes of nullifying any distinguished reduction in function.)