Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Journey

MemberMember
(@989898l)

Posted : 09/11/2015 1:51 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm unsure whether anyone will be interested in actually reading my log but if not, it'll be useful for me anyways! It's still early days, I'm only about a month and a half into my accutane course so I haven't logged since day one which sucks but better late than never, right?!

I absolutely love this community because it has helped me so much in the past and I know what it's like to google things every 10-20 minutes and land yourself on this website reading if someone else is going through the same things to make yourself feel better and I feel this is a safe place for not just acne sufferers but also people with other problems as well and it's such a happy part of the Internet, it honestly humbles me so much! :)

Anyways, I started my first month on 20mg and I'm now on 40mg for the rest of my course. Yes, I had an initial breakout and damn, it was bad and I'm still going through it - it really did break me out and my skin was the worst it has ever been which worried me as my skin scars easily (PIH) which sucks so bad! :(

Although, hopefully the red marks will fade and maybe someone can keep up with my log and share your own stories? Anyone is welcome!

The photos I am posting are collages of the left side of my face and the right side of my face throughout the time I've been on this drug, no improvement yet I know but hopefully soon! (Sorry for the ew pictures) post-479523-0-24039000-1441997366.jpgpost-479523-0-37759000-1441997407.jpg

MemberMember
(@kitp)

Posted : 09/11/2015 4:42 pm

Hey :)

I literally started accutane today so I'm really glad you have posted your journey :) it's comforting to read other peoples experiences. My derm has put me on antibiotics to try and ease the initial break out as he said that my acne scarring would be classed as a disfigurement as it is (! Not what you want to hear!) I hope your IB settles soon :)

I wish you all the best with your journey and will be following your log :)

Kitty x

MemberMember
(@989898l)

Posted : 09/12/2015 4:56 am

Hi Kitty!

Makes me kinda nervous/excited someone is following my log! I now pronounce us acneBFF's hahaha! :D

I'm sorry to hear your derm said that but there are options to help that about 6 months after your course so don't think that it's the end! You can always have the baby smooth skin you want but if you don't mind me asking, what anti-biotic are you on? And also, what contraceptive are you on?

I was on the depo injection but I think it made my acne way way worse so I've stopped that now, boo. :(

Wish you the best of luck too!

KitP liked
MemberMember
(@kitp)

Posted : 09/12/2015 6:02 am

Acne BFFS sounds good :)

To be honest I didn't feel that the scarring was that bad, but I also think I was a bit in denial about how bad my acne really was. In reality I am OK about scars, its the spots that I don't like :)

I have the Mirena coil and I also use condoms. I know that the Mirena can make acne worse but I haven't actually noticed too much difference and have had it over a year now,

Do you wear make up? I still haven't found the trick of how to cover pimples properly without it looking quite obvious. I use Jane Iredale make up products which are really high quality but I am no make up guru!

I am on a 6 week course of erythromycin which may get extended depending on how my skin does with the intiial breakout. I have read on here that this can make some people quite nauseous but I took the 500mg dose this morning and feel OK. I think because I was already taking Lymecycline before on an empty stomach so maybe I am used to it?

Anyway I hope your skin is starting to show signs of improvement :) xx

MemberMember
(@989898l)

Posted : 09/12/2015 7:43 am

Yeah, I was on lymecycline before I took accutane and it didn't seem to do too much but I'm glad that you haven't had any problems with the birth control, that's awesome to hear!

And yeah, I do wear makeup when I go to college but I try my hardest not to wear it any other time which is a struggle leaving the house with volcanoes all over my face, hahahah! ;)

But, I do recommend using your fingers but do make sure they're clean obvs but I've tried everything from brushes to beauty blenders and none of them work as well as using the warmth from my fingers and also a good tip I like is to have short nails too because I feel all the muck and dirt from my nails when they're long may transfer onto my face, ew!

But, I just recommend using a green concealer first as that takes away redness and then put a heavy duty concealer on top and then finish off with foundation and if you use power, make sure to dab not to swipe, that goes to all applying products because you'll get 10x better coverage! My foundation was actually too orange for my skin and I started to look like an orange so I decided to mix it with pure white foundation but found out it has jojoba oil in which I think is making my foundation separate, wah. :(

But deffo just use your fingers, they're the best tool we have! And just dab dab dab! But I do feel your pain with the whole covering spots, it is not easy to cover bumps at all but sometimes you just need to accept that it's not your fault and you're trying your very best to help your skin.

Best of luck lovely!

KitP liked
MemberMember
(@989898l)

Posted : 09/15/2015 6:40 am

Hello acne.org!

I'm unsure of what day it is anymore and how long I've been on this drug but it's coming close to 2 months, it will be on the 22nd of this month which isn't too far away.

As for my mood, I'm having a pretty rough day and looking at my skin I know the acne itself will soon heal but it's the red marks that bother the hell out of me and I know that they could possibly take years to heal, I'm currently using the Eucerin Spot Corrector, I'm unsure if I'm seeing results or not so I'll get back to you on that one.

But, my skin isn't showing any improvement so far, just staying the same and because I'm wearing makeup more frequently now, wiping it off obviously irritates my skin - I wish I had perfect skin, don't we all?!

Anyways, I'm trying to stay positive and look on the bright side but it's difficult when I feel I'll be stuck with these red marks for a long ass time! :(

MemberMember
(@989898l)

Posted : 09/19/2015 11:05 am

Hello everyone!

I seem to have taken 2 steps back, my second month will be on the 22nd of this month. I've attached a photo to give you a better idea, I hope it goes away soon and I'm really worried about the red marks left behind.

Anyone got any ideas that would work for me?post-479523-0-83845900-1442678725.jpg

MemberMember
(@989898l)

Posted : 09/27/2015 2:37 pm

Sorry I've been slacking a bit with this log although nothing much has happened. There has been no improvement, seems as if I'm still going through breakouts.post-479523-0-02940300-1443382648.jpegpost-479523-0-41017100-1443382663.jpeg