Notifications
Clear all

Impossible To Find A Moisturizer With Good Ingredients...

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 09/02/2015 7:49 pm

I recently stumbled on this list of comedogenic ingredients:

http://www.acne.org/comedogenic-list.html

So I went through my moisturizers to find that nearly all of them contained offending ingredients. CeraVe AM seems to be alright, but I had to return CeraVe PM to the store cause it has cetearyl alcohol and ceteareth 20... I also have a huge thing of CVS knock off Cetaphil which has a few offending ingredients.... I've been scouring the internet for a nighttime moisturizer (basically just a non-SPF one) without one of these ingredients but have been unable to find anything... so frustrating!!

I haven't moisturized at night the past 2 days and it's been fine, but I'm sure that's not smart long-term.

Any non-SPF moisturizers with good ingredients that you'd recommend? The fewer ingredients, the better, honestly...

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 09/03/2015 11:35 pm

I agree with Control Panel....even the most simplistic aqueous cream is likely to have cetearyl alcohol and ceteareth and only a tiny minority of people have any adverse reaction to such things.

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 09/04/2015 12:59 pm

kiss my face under age ultra hydrating facial moisturizer is the best ive found yet [Edited link out] it has nothing irritating or acne causing. i think ive done an ingredient analysis on every moisturizer out there. it all natural so you will find it at natural food stores. ive also seen it at walgreens and cvs. you would think at least non-comedogenic organic/natural moisturizers would be easy to find but theyre not. this ones really good though.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 09/04/2015 2:24 pm

On 9/3/2015 at 1:58 PM, Control Panel said:

Please don't limit your moisturizers to that list. I don't think it's that accurate.

Also, for the past week I've been mixing Acne.org Moisturizer w/ Acne.org AHA+ twice/day for the past week. It's the best thing I've tried. My skin is still a bit flaky, but I'm actually able to open my mouth to eat. It's definitely more moisturized.

The 2nd thing I recommend is CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. It helps w/ flakes, but it isn't as moisturizing as the combination which I just mentioned. I've used the CeraVe every day (in the past) w/ no problems, and I'm acne prone.

Yeah I've also used CeraVe. It's nice. I'm just concerned that it has cetearyl alcohol and ceteareth-20. I've never looked into the Acne.org stuff. I like picking my stuff up at stores when I run out. But I guess I could give it a shot...

On 9/4/2015 at 11:59 PM, hopeless87 said:

kiss my face under age ultra hydrating facial moisturizer is the best ive found yet [Edited link out] it has nothing irritating or acne causing. i think ive done an ingredient analysis on every moisturizer out there. it all natural so you will find it at natural food stores. ive also seen it at walgreens and cvs. you would think at least non-comedogenic organic/natural moisturizers would be easy to find but theyre not. this ones really good though.

There's so many oils in that though! I'm afraid of oils. Who knows if it's warranted, but 6 years of constant acne will make you afraid of just about everything under the sun.

MemberMember
(@stephen-j)

Posted : 09/09/2015 6:36 pm

I'm actually having the same issue you're having at the moment! For the past week, I've been searching through a ton of stores, searching for a descent moisturizer, and yet nothing. The only ok moisturizer I've found to work is the Neutrogena moisturizer, which I've been using forever. (I don't really care for it that much, to be completely honest with you.)

I do suggest, however, that you check out Lush. It's a fresh, handmade cosmetic company that uses only fresh and natural ingredients. (I however can't use some of their best moisturizers because of almonds) If you are interested in their products... I will warn you, it is very expensive compared to most moisturizers; and they do expire. (The price you pay for fresh/natural ingredients with little to no preservatives) On their website, you have the capability to look through every single one of their ingredients, and they even have a page dedicated to each ingredient, in case you want an in-depth view of each individual thing they use in their products.

Here's a link to lush: https://www.lush.com/

Here's a link to the moisturizer page (on the US website): http://www.lushusa.com/Moisturizers/moisturisers,en_US,sc.html

Hope you find an awesome moisturizer! (and also let me know if you find one, haha!)

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 09/10/2015 11:08 pm

I understand the frustrations in searching for the right moisturizer for you. Just make sure you're picking a moisturizer that's meant for your skin type (dry, combo, oily). I'm using Neutrogena's oil-free moisturizer for combination skin. It doesn't moisturize that well but it doesn't give me that annoying shine or any breakouts thus far. I too liked Cerave's PM lotion for a while (like a year) but it was too emollient for my oily skin and I think was the main cause of my clogged pores.

My problem right now is finding a moisturizer w/ SPF 30+. It seems I'm sensitive to most active ingredients in sunscreens :(

I digress. My apologies. I recommend doing a little bit of research on moisturizers for your skin type and not paying any mind to that list you got there. You have to take into consideration how all those ingredients work together too and how that might affect your skin. I also recommend avoiding anything that has fragrance in it. If it does contain fragrance, I think it may be okay so long as it's located near the end of the ingredient list. That means there won't be as large amount of it in the overall product.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 09/12/2015 7:05 pm

I'm actually having the same issue you're having at the moment! For the past week, I've been searching through a ton of stores, searching for a descent moisturizer, and yet nothing. The only ok moisturizer I've found to work is the Neutrogena moisturizer, which I've been using forever. (I don't really care for it that much, to be completely honest with you.)

I do suggest, however, that you check out Lush. It's a fresh, handmade cosmetic company that uses only fresh and natural ingredients. (I however can't use some of their best moisturizers because of almonds) If you are interested in their products... I will warn you, it is very expensive compared to most moisturizers; and they do expire. (The price you pay for fresh/natural ingredients with little to no preservatives) On their website, you have the capability to look through every single one of their ingredients, and they even have a page dedicated to each ingredient, in case you want an in-depth view of each individual thing they use in their products.

Here's a link to lush: https://www.lush.com/

Here's a link to the moisturizer page (on the US website): http://www.lushusa.com/Moisturizers/moisturisers,en_US,sc.html

Hope you find an awesome moisturizer! (and also let me know if you find one, haha!)

Wow that site is really cool, thanks for sharing! I actually just found the Simple replenishing rich moisturizer which seems to have mostly good ingredients and hasn't given me any problems so far (at least i dont think it has....im not breaking out any worse than usual lol..)

Nice name too! ;)

I understand the frustrations in searching for the right moisturizer for you. Just make sure you're picking a moisturizer that's meant for your skin type (dry, combo, oily). I'm using Neutrogena's oil-free moisturizer for combination skin. It doesn't moisturize that well but it doesn't give me that annoying shine or any breakouts thus far. I too liked Cerave's PM lotion for a while (like a year) but it was too emollient for my oily skin and I think was the main cause of my clogged pores.

My problem right now is finding a moisturizer w/ SPF 30+. It seems I'm sensitive to most active ingredients in sunscreens :(

I digress. My apologies. I recommend doing a little bit of research on moisturizers for your skin type and not paying any mind to that list you got there. You have to take into consideration how all those ingredients work together too and how that might affect your skin. I also recommend avoiding anything that has fragrance in it. If it does contain fragrance, I think it may be okay so long as it's located near the end of the ingredient list. That means there won't be as large amount of it in the overall product.

yes, I try to avoid anything with fragrance! There's no need for that :) I think i have dry skin. I really have never been sure. My face looks more dry than shiny, that's for sure. I'm sorry you're having trouble finding an SPF 30+ moisturizer. The CeraVe one works decently for me but I'm not sure if it has the right ingredients for you

MemberMember
(@destalinization)

Posted : 09/12/2015 8:05 pm

I relate so much to the moisturizer struggle. I also wear makeup, and finding something that plays nicely with my skin AND my makeup has been just about impossible for me. I've honestly found that my skin seems to stay a bit cleaner without a moisturizer even though I know it needs one. I have oily/combination skin in addition to being acne prone, and my friend with a similar skin type just recommended that I try MAC's Complete Comfort Creme. She swears by it so I'm hoping I can see some positive results for myself as well...especially after my most recent foray into moisturizers resulted in some nasty dry patches.

I can keep you updated if you like! It's an expensive product, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Stephen23 liked
MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 09/21/2015 1:22 pm

Coconut oil- Extra Virgin, cold-pressed organic. Teeny, tiny amount massaged in before getting out of the shower, pat dry.

Hand down the best moisturizer ever!

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 09/21/2015 10:27 pm

Coconut oil is very comedogenic. I tried it and it clogged my pores so bad. I think it may be good for some people but not for those with combo-oily skin.

MemberMember
(@pleasednest)

Posted : 10/02/2015 6:36 pm

I've never commented on a blog before but would like to recommend Manuka Doctor. Like all of you, I've done my fair share of research over the years and tried using Manuka honey on my skin as its full of good bacteria which will naturally fight the bad bacteria we all seem to have too much of... :(

But Manuka Doctor is a range specifically designed for acne prone skin (they also do an anti aging range too) It doesn't contain any harmful chemicals and as I mentioned before, it's full of good bacteria. One of the main ingredients is actually bee venom... You can even buy it in super drug. I've been fighting a losing battle with acne for over 10 years and have always kept a religious cleansing routine. This will not cure cystic acne (the type I have) but it's made a huge difference, even with scarring and helped with redness and inflammation. It's the only product I've EVER bought and actually thought... Wow! That's made a difference... Each of the products are around £15 each but for me, it's worth it because I know it works. They do a moisturiser, cleanser, exfoliator, toner and a serum. I've tried all of these and with regular usage, each one lasts about 2 months. (The toner bottle is quite small and runs out quicker) Sorry if this information is useless to some but just wanted to mention it as we're all fighting the same battle. Best of luck to everyone with their fight against the spots! X

Stephen23 liked