Notifications
Clear all

Will Vinegar Always Cause Purging?

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 09/01/2015 11:24 pm

I've heard that apple cider vinegar is great for acne and scars, and started using it. However, I've seen a few people talk about how their skin purged or broke out more, which is something that I really can't have happen because my acne is worse than ever at the moment. My face looks nothing like my profile pic right now; my breakout is so bad that makeup can barely cover it. I want to use vinegar again but I'm scared of the purging, does it always happen ?

MemberMember
(@stephen-j)

Posted : 09/05/2015 7:09 pm

Hello!

Everybody's skin is different! What might work for one person might not work for another person! I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it depends on your routine, skin type, etc.

Do you mind telling me about what your normal routine is?

Hope you're acne gets better! :)

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 09/07/2015 11:49 am

I use a tea tree wash, toner, and lotion from the body shop. They seem to be working good for reducing scars and redness, but don't really prevent pimples from forming..

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@stephen-j)

Posted : 09/07/2015 9:31 pm

I use a tea tree wash, toner, and lotion from the body shop. They seem to be working good for reducing scars and redness, but don't really prevent pimples from forming..

Thank you!

Okay cool! The Body Shop was my very first acne cleanser forever ago! I don't know too much about the Body Shop, but I did find a section on their site dedicated to products that say they are for acne. Here's a link: http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/shop-by-line/tea-tree.aspx#/tea-tree.aspx

Also, here's how to find this page (incase you lose the link or if you're looking for other products in a broad category)

Image: ?dl=0

Hope this helps! :)

MemberMember
(@dan-crow)

Posted : 09/08/2015 1:51 pm

Purging can happen virtually any time you use a new product. It's not something you can definitively say can or cannot happen so be prepared for it to happen if you introduce a new treatment to help combat your scars or acne or what not. If you 100% can't afford to have the purge form then don't use the vinegar. It would be nice to use a product that guaranteed no purging, one can dream right?

MemberMember
(@smallpox)

Posted : 09/16/2015 8:32 am

Are you diluting the ACV and using moisturizer after you use ACV? It dries your skin out, so that might be what's causing your skin to break out.

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 09/21/2015 11:19 pm

ACV may help topically but I believe it is only temporary. In my experience, even when diluting it, the anti-bacterial benefits of ACV were not very powerful. And when I diluted the ACV less, it would aggravate my skin, thus causing more acne. I would be careful with it and not rely solely on ACV. There are much better and more effective treatments available :)

EDIT: For the original poster, your "purging" may be a reaction to the irritants in ACV. You can try to dilute it more, but do not be at all surprised if your results end up lackluster. I really wanted ACV to work for me too but all it did was exacerbate my acne. :\ Perhaps try a different treatment! :)

MemberMember
(@thenatural)

Posted : 10/28/2015 4:16 pm

It might, but it has only been helping me. I started using it twice a day and it has reduced my acne and redness (inflammation). It got a little worse when I stopped doing it twice daily, but now it's starting to go away again from doing it often. I mix half water, with half apple cider vinegar, and use it morning and night. I'm going to stick with it for a month or two to see if all my acne will finally go away.

I use aloe vera as a moisturizer, if that matters.
Apple cider vinegar has over 400 reviews on this site, so I figured it was worth a try, and, so far, it may even get rid of all the acne.