Clear all

First Time Accutane User / Claravis 40Mg

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 08/29/2015 10:43 pm

Products Used

Claravis 40mg/pill

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

Paulas Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel / Desert Essence Jojoba Oil / Nivea Cream

Paulas Choice Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense

Lip Balm: Carmex, vaseline

Shampoo by Maple Holistics (just a random one I found on Amazon)

Bamboo cloth

Unless otherwise specified, each day I take 40mg. I feel like that quantity is a lot for someone who has mild

acne, but the nurse insisted.

Ill be doing daily updates. I keep a record of my skin routine anyhow.

8/21/15 Day 18/22/15 Day 28/23/15 Day 38/24/15 Day 48/25/15 Day 58/26/15 Day 6maybe dry lips. One acne spot cropped up overnight right above my lip and below my nose. Still oily skin

8/27/15 Day 78/28/15 Day 88/29/15 Day 9

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 08/30/2015 11:47 am

8/30/15 Day 10: Woke up to some flaking on the left side of my face near mouth/nose. Skin still oily. Biggest side effect is dry lips as of now.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 08/31/2015 6:37 am

8/31/15 Day 11: Nothing to report, really. Not much difference in skin and side effects than the past couple days.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/01/2015 8:00 am

9/1/15 Day 12: Just dry lips and flaky scalp. Skin a little less oily.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/02/2015 7:16 am

9/2/15 Day 13: So far just dry lips that need vaseline/carmex at all times. Scalp is kinda flaky and itchy, too. Other than that, minor bumps on the skin that just sit there and flatten after a while. Skins a bit less oily, but I still need to use a blotting sheet at work every couple hours.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/03/2015 7:17 am

9/3/15 Day 14: Dry lips and dry, itchy scalp. Face is kinda dry too. Even with two applications of jojoba oil within an hour it is barely holding off the effects. Still have oily skin. Few acne spots, but they're not whiteheads or anything. Just small bumps. Other than that, no noticeable effects.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/04/2015 7:10 am

9/4/15 Day 15: Still have oily skin, getting somewhat annoyed. Figured it'd decrease somewhat after two weeks. Just managing dry lips, skin, scalp at the moment. No joint pain or anything else. Some spots cropped up, but nothing significant. Still able to workout (run, lift weights) w/o any issues.

MemberMember
(@aaronithink)

Posted : 09/04/2015 8:30 am

9/4/15 Day 15: Still have oily skin, getting somewhat annoyed. Figured it'd decrease somewhat after two weeks. Just managing dry lips, skin, scalp at the moment. No joint pain or anything else. Some spots cropped up, but nothing significant. Still able to workout (run, lift weights) w/o any issues.

Happy to have found your log, we seem to have started on exactly the same day. My symptoms so far have been following exactly the same track - extremely dry lips and dry itchy scalp. I've also had a small breakout the last few days, but nothing extreme.

Good to have another log to look at so I can compare and see where I'm at 😛

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/05/2015 10:48 am

Happy to have found your log, we seem to have started on exactly the same day. My symptoms so far have been following exactly the same track - extremely dry lips and dry itchy scalp. I've also had a small breakout the last few days, but nothing extreme.

Good to have another log to look at so I can compare and see where I'm at 😛

Hi, glad to see you're enjoying the log.

9/5/15 Day 16:

Side effects: Dry lips. Need lip balm on them constantly. They're not so dry where its cracked or anything, but it's uncomfortable w/o apply some on. Dry scalp. if I scratch my head, small white flakes will fall off. Itchiness is bearable, though. Dry skin (face). Biggest issue at the moment. Mostly around my nose. Thinking of putting vaseline at night as the jojoba oil isn't strong enough. Besides that, everything is good except for a couple acne spots on left side of temple and cheek bone. Oily skin is about 75% or so of day one.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/06/2015 11:36 am

9/6/15 Day 17:

Scalps not so itchy anymore. Lips dry as usual. I just need to apply lip balm and it's a non-issue. As to the dryness around nose, I have been putting a sliver of vaseline after a shower and by the morning, there's no flakiness. Skin's still oily, but it's getting less and less as I approach the third week. I have just two acne spots on my left temple, but they're subsiding, so everything's looking good for now.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/07/2015 11:20 am

9/7/15 Day 18:

Side effects:

Slightly itchy scalp

Dry lips

Dry skin

I will getting a blood test this weekend, so hopefully nothings too high or too low. Skin's a bit less oily and I don't have to use as many oil blotting sheets. I am still able to exfoliate w/o much issue. Physical exfoliation that is. Haven't tried any chemical exfoliation since I went on accutane.

MemberMember
(@aaronithink)

Posted : 09/08/2015 7:58 am

How often are you going for your blood tests? Was going to wait until a few days before my next appointment to get my second.

9/7/15 Day 18:

Side effects:

Slightly itchy scalp
Dry lips
Dry skin

I will getting a blood test this weekend, so hopefully nothings too high or too low. Skin's a bit less oily and I don't have to use as many oil blotting sheets. I am still able to exfoliate w/o much issue. Physical exfoliation that is. Haven't tried any chemical exfoliation since I went on accutane.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/08/2015 8:30 am

I am from U.S., so not sure where you are from. The accutane program (iPledge) requires monthly blood test and then the doctor will evaluate the results and determine whether to increase or decrease dosage.

9/8/15 Day 19:

Dry skin, lips, scalp are all manageable right now. T-zone is definitely less oily. Cheeks a little bit less as well.

MemberMember
(@aaronithink)

Posted : 09/08/2015 9:01 am

I am in the U.S. as well, South Florida. Just seemed like slightly early to be going, but I may have been thinking about the timeline incorrectly.

My cholesterol on my initial blood test was super high (before I had started isotretinoin) so I've been going pretty extreme with a cholesterol lowering diet to try and get things in line before my next blood test (really hope that the dermatologist isn't going to stop giving me the accutane, my cholesterol has always been decently high). Want to give as much time as possible for things to improve lol.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/09/2015 8:34 pm

It's about 10 days earlier than my one month since starting accutane. Guess it's not a big deal for the the accutane nurse.

9/9/15 Day 20: Pretty much my only issue is how to exfoliate effectively w/o reddening my skin or drying it out too much. I wear sunscreen, so there's a thin layer that I can see after I cleanse. Other than, my t-zone is a lot less oily, but my cheeks surprisingly are still somewhat oily.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/10/2015 8:20 am

9/10/15 Day 21: no change from last few days in terms of side effects. However, I am now double cleansing at night to remove the buildup of sunscreen. Seems to work. This morning, my sunscreen was able to be applied smoothly.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/11/2015 8:30 am

9/11/15 Day 22: 3 weeks now. Any acne spots have been cleared or clearing up. Itchy scalp no longer much of a concern. Just dry skin and lips for now.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/12/2015 9:48 am

9/12/15 Day 23: Skipping today's 40mg dosage. Skin is dry and looks like crap. Skin is not moisturized enough while I sleep, so when I apply sunscreen/moisturizer the following morning, it just balls up and looks horrific. However, I have been only using jojoba oil to moisturize. Last night I used it in combination with a moisturizer, so we will see that works. Otherwise I will try slathering on vaseline-heard that works.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/13/2015 11:17 am

9/13/15 Day 24: Always waking up with a tight, dry face. However, my dry issue from yesterday was remedied by mixing jojoba oil and a moisturizer. So there's only dryness around nose. Just gonna take 40mg 2 days off 1 day on. Other than that, oiliness is down in my t-zone and slightly on cheeks. One acne spot on chin.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/14/2015 8:48 am

9/14/15 Day 25: Just dry lips and dry areas around side of nose. Nose has less blackheads. Also, got back my test results. Everything seems fine. HDL is up, but LDL down. Will be meeting with the derm/nurse tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/15/2015 6:43 pm

9/15/15 Day 26: Met with the accutane nurse. She wanted me to alternate between 80mg and 40 mg each day. I told her I did not want to do that as my skin wouldn't be able to do it. But my next appointment will be 5 weeks from now, so I will just go at my pace. Face is dry, lips dry. Recently purchased the nivea moisturizing. It's really greasy and thick the last time I used it. The Paula's Choice moisturizer is too weak.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/17/2015 8:17 am

9/16/15 Day 27: Previously I went 3 days w/o taking a capsule, now 2 days on. Will be receiving the new moisturizing in the mail today. Side effects still limited to dry lips, skin, and hair.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/18/2015 12:46 am

9/17/15 Day 28: still just dry lips, skin. Will be trying out a new moisturizer tonite. Hopefully this addresses the dry skin.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/18/2015 8:34 pm

9/18/15 Day 29: New moisturizing is pretty greasy and thick. But it does its job and keeps the dryness away. Will need to cleanse twice, however. So as of now, just dry lips.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 09/19/2015 11:47 am

dans corti balm is meant to be the ultimate lip saviour x

llduo liked