Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zurib19

Let's Talk Acne Safe Make Up : )

A lot of people here in the forum have asked for recommendations on a good mineral foundation or any make up for acne. However there really isn't such thing. And the existing ones usually contain a small amount of salycilic acid along with a whole bunch of other crappy ingredients that can break you out in the long run. Here are some brands I recommend as they are 100% acne safe and free of cloggy ingredients. Hope you guys give them a try!

- Tarte BB cream (light coverage, yet it helps to even out skin tone and redness)

- Alima Pure sattin matte mineral foundation (hands down the best mineral make up)

-Alima pure blushes (Apricot is my favorite)

-100% Pure foundation powder (made with fruit pigments, yumm!

- Estee Lauder Double wear (only use on special occasions as it can be too much for an everyday use. Acne safe igredients yet not 100 clean).

Good luck Beauties!!

Check out more tips on my IG account; @{USERNAME REMOVED} :hifive:

Edited by Control Panel

Hi

Today I just tried almay smart shade™ skintone matching makeup to cover up my old red marks. I was sure to completely clear my skin before trying makeup to see if it will break me out. Most people who reviewed it claimed that it didn't break them out. Also, there are no "comedogenic" ingredients, so I'm hopeful that I won't break out either. I'll know within 3 weeks.

BTW, it's a liquid foundation. Does anybody know if gently "placing" a water-soluble cleanser on my skin is enough to take it off? I applied only the foundation--nothing else. I hope that I won't have to scrub the makeup off my skin. That would probably cause more acne!

Edited by Control Panel

I think what makeup breaks someone out will be very individual. All the makeup you listed except for the Alima would break me out. In general I think mineral makeup is best for people who are prone to acne, but some people even have problems with ingredients in mineral makeup. I would suggest for someone with acne prone skin to start by testing the very basic mineral foundations first. This include the ones that include the most basic ingredients such as mica, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and iron oxide.

I've been using the double wear and its the ONLY thing that covers all my red marks and scars and stays on! It has take so long to figure out how to apply it properly though lol was just wondering how do you apply it Zurib19?

Hi

Today I just tried almay smart shade™ skintone matching makeup to cover up my old red marks. I was sure to completely clear my skin before trying makeup to see if it will break me out. Most people who reviewed it claimed that it didn't break them out. Also, there are no "comedogenic" ingredients, so I'm hopeful that I won't break out either. I'll know within 3 weeks.

BTW, it's a liquid foundation. Does anybody know if gently "placing" a water-soluble cleanser on my skin is enough to take it off? I applied only the foundation--nothing else. I hope that I won't have to scrub the makeup off my skin. That would probably cause more acne!

Hello,

I've heard a couple of good things about that foundation and based on YOUR skin type I think you are the only judge testing it out on your self. Since its a liquid foundation you do want to make sure to take everything off. Even if a foundation is "non comedogenic" it can still clog your pores if there are any residues. I recommend toning your face after washing. I always get some make up left over when I know I'm not taking it all off. Let me know how its working for you. You can actually break out from a product from up to 3 months of using!! Ah!!

I think what makeup breaks someone out will be very individual. All the makeup you listed except for the Alima would break me out. In general I think mineral makeup is best for people who are prone to acne, but some people even have problems with ingredients in mineral makeup. I would suggest for someone with acne prone skin to start by testing the very basic mineral foundations first. This include the ones that include the most basic ingredients such as mica, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and iron oxide.

Totally agree. What works for me may not work for you, right? And Alima pure is definitely MY fave. There can be many lose mineral foundations out there but talking acne prone I always like to go with what's worked for me and many others. Bare Essentials for example contains other ingredients that have broken many people out. Including my self. Boo!! What's your fave?

I've been using the double wear and its the ONLY thing that covers all my red marks and scars and stays on! It has take so long to figure out how to apply it properly though lol was just wondering how do you apply it Zurib19?

Doesn't it have amazing coverage? Lately though I have been feeling its a little drying for my skin so I make my skin is nicely moisturized from within in, and out. I mix it with the tarte BB cream since that is more on the hydrating side. I also like to use a beauty blender for the whole face or my fingers at time when only used to sorta conceal my hyperpigmentation. Hope this helps! : )

Hi

Hello,

I've heard a couple of good things about that foundation and based on YOUR skin type I think you are the only judge testing it out on your self. Since its a liquid foundation you do want to make sure to take everything off. Even if a foundation is "non comedogenic" it can still clog your pores if there are any residues. I recommend toning your face after washing. I always get some make up left over when I know I'm not taking it all off. Let me know how its working for you. You can actually break out from a product from up to 3 months of using!! Ah!!

Before cleansing I rub a moisturizer across my face to loosen the makeup. Today is day 4 of using it.

3 months?! I thought acne could take only up to 3 weeks to appear once it has formed.

Hi

Hello,

Before cleansing I rub a moisturizer across my face to loosen the makeup. Today is day 4 of using it.

3 months?! I thought acne could take only up to 3 weeks to appear once it has formed.

Every person is different, but yes, it can take up to 3 months for a "seed" to come up to the surface from using a new product. Some people can swear they break out over night from a new product, when in reality it could have been something they were already using before. The food does take a lot less to break you our. i,e, dairy, greasy foods, etc.

I like Origin's Silkscreen powder. But I have no idea if it's acne safe... This would be something worth looking into. I read reviews on makeupalley where women would not see an increase of their blemishes... Right now I'm trying Paula's Choice Healthy Skin powder w/ SPF 15. It's okay. It doesn't go on as smooth and nicely as Origin's. I've tried mineral makeup and yeesh! I hate how it punctuates every rough spot and makes everything so shiny. So not worth the money, imho.

Doesn't it have amazing coverage? Lately though I have been feeling its a little drying for my skin so I make my skin is nicely moisturized from within in, and out. I mix it with the tarte BB cream since that is more on the hydrating side. I also like to use a beauty blender for the whole face or my fingers at time when only used to sorta conceal my hyperpigmentation. Hope this helps! : )

omg yes the coverage is amazing. But like you say it is drying and on the red patches it dries up which is pain in arse lol. What I do is moisturise the hell out of my skin and add a drop of oil to the foundation, but I might have to try your method its sounds a lot better!

Anyone know of any good concealers? I don't wear full foundation and powder, I just cover spots. I have been using the glamoflauge by Hard Candy for a long time, and it works pretty well as far as coverage goes, but I end up getting tiny little clogged pores in the areas where I use it. :(

I second Origins Skin Screen! Ive been using it for many years and it never broke me out plus the coverage of the powder is awesome! Im using Dermablend Smooth Liquid Foundation and it works great! it has nice full coverage. I use the silk screen powder over it and my skin looks flawless :)

I second Origins Skin Screen! Ive been using it for many years and it never broke me out plus the coverage of the powder is awesome! Im using Dermablend Smooth Liquid Foundation and it works great! it has nice full coverage. I use the silk screen powder over it and my skin looks flawless :)

Thanks for seconding it! I had no idea if Silkscreen was the culprit to my clogged pores or not. It's received amazing reviews so that's why I've been using it for so long. I just wish it wasn't so expensive ($28.00)!!

Anyone know of any good concealers? I don't wear full foundation and powder, I just cover spots. I have been using the glamoflauge by Hard Candy for a long time, and it works pretty well as far as coverage goes, but I end up getting tiny little clogged pores in the areas where I use it. :(

Be careful with that concealer as it can definitely be super cloggy since its soooo thick. There is a new concealer I have been trying and so far I am LOVING! It's the Tarte amazonian concealer stick. The one in the little purple metal tube/stick. I like that it has good ingredients! didn't really find any cloggy one. Check it out! : )

Honestly, there are so many types of make up... We all just need to make sure that we choose those that are non-comedogenic. This is all that you need to know.

Non-comedogenic products are specially formulated to not clog your pores. You also have to make sure that the products are not too oily. 

Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation - probably the only foundation that never caused me breakouts and actually improved the look of my skin. I am afraid of trying new products especially foundations cause I had really bad experience in the past from experimenting so now when I find something I stick to it. 

Everyone that is looking for good light-medium coverage, this one is a gem. 

I'm loving the liquid foundation from Mineral Fusion!
Has great ingredients like chamomile extract, shea butter, vitamin e, vitamin c, pomegranate extract, etc.

Buildable coverage and feels good on my skin. Not too heavy :)

On 8/26/2015 at 1:34 PM, Zurib19 said:

A lot of people here in the forum have asked for recommendations on a good mineral foundation or any make up for acne. However there really isn't such thing. And the existing ones usually contain a small amount of salycilic acid along with a whole bunch of other crappy ingredients that can break you out in the long run. Here are some brands I recommend as they are 100% acne safe and free of cloggy ingredients. Hope you guys give them a try!

- Tarte BB cream (light coverage, yet it helps to even out skin tone and redness)

- Alima Pure sattin matte mineral foundation (hands down the best mineral make up)

-Alima pure blushes (Apricot is my favorite)

-100% Pure foundation powder (made with fruit pigments, yumm!

- Estee Lauder Double wear (only use on special occasions as it can be too much for an everyday use. Acne safe igredients yet not 100 clean).

Good luck Beauties!!

Check out more tips on my IG account; @{USERNAME REMOVED} |::hifive:

More and more I find it makes little to no difference. Makeup can make an existing breakout worse for me, but it doesn't cause it. That's why giving it up never worked and I no longer blame makeup. I realize that everyone is different and I have certainly used makeup that didn't agree with me (the typical bad experience with mac), but my skincare and health are the bigger factors.

My skin is oily and I look bad with a matte finish because it turns cakey on me and the matte finish highlights my skin imperfections. Very dewy looks obviously don't work either as I'm already prone to shininess. So I stick with natural, satin finishes and prefer medium, buildable coverage. The less makeup I can get away with, the better I look since my skin oil tends to make my makeup wear poorly. 

Many recent formulas heavy on the silicones results in my skin oil breaking it up into little dots of pigment sitting on the surface. I'm not sure why some do this and others don't.... but I am having more success with Asian makeup. My favorites right now are Etude House and Koh Gen Do (see sig). I also like Laura Mercier photo finish and Chanel lumiere velvet (the only matte makeup that doesn't look gross on me, probably because it's so lightweight...rarely use it because it has alcohol listed high in the ingredients, also probably why it stays matte and doesn't get cakey). 

I'm interested in thoughts on acne safe makeup remover and possibly a toner. Maybe I should just use makeup remover just for eye area and use the cleanser in the regimen to remove makeup? What are your tips and tricks?

I find that the removal of makeup causes my breakouts usually, especially if I've rubbed the skin either with cotton pads or with  a face cloth. So now I completely saturate the cotton pad in makeup remover ( I use micellar water) so that there is less irritation because the cotton pad is so saturated that it is almost dripping wet that it is just gliding on the skin. I do this if I'm wearing heavy face makeup, if it's just a light layer of foundation and concealer then just cleansing twice is usually enough to remove it.