Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Happy With Their Derm?

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 08/25/2015 3:38 pm

I truly hate going through the roller coaster experience of feeling good with a doctor then... next day they change personalities. Please, if you are in s. Cali, feel free to recommend a derm if you are happy with them. Has anyone else suffered from poor communication from their derms? I won't mention the specific doctor I'm dealing with right now. I also consulted with Dr. R. and Emer too and didnt feel comfortable with them. I just want to know, has it been difficult for anyone else to just get a quote for a procedure with a derm or to get an email response from a derm? Just tired and frustrated today. If i were a doctor, I would at least care about patients and respond! I thought I found a good derm but then she doesn't reply to my email, meanwhile I see she's constantly updating her instagram account! I kind of want to tell their office that.

MemberMember
(@gisselles02)

Posted : 08/25/2015 5:25 pm

Why don't you just make a consultation appointment? And I'm pretty sure not responding to an email doesn't make a dermatologist bad at their jobs. They have a life too and if you're really eager to talk to your doctor about something then I would suggest to just wait for your next appointment to do so.

254fgjjk liked
MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 08/25/2015 8:09 pm

Why don't you just make a consultation appointment? And I'm pretty sure not responding to an email doesn't make a dermatologist bad at their jobs. They have a life too and if you're really eager to talk to your doctor about something then I would suggest to just wait for your next appointment to do so.

I don't appreciate the rather rude tone of your reply, gisselles. I understand that you have really no knowledge or details of the situation because I left those out, but still does not make it for you to talk to me like that. For anyone else who can have a respectful conversation with me, I already had a cosmetic consult with this doctor. So the next time I see this doctor would be if I pay and have the cosmetic procedure, there's no go between appt. it's not for medical purposes. I was ready to go through with a procedure, just needed a quote and had a follow up question but their front desk keeps telling me they'll get back to me. Her receptionist told me the way to follow up with the doctor with follow up questions is at a specific email address. It has been over a week, and I also asked them for a quote on the procedure. One week to reply about one quote..and they dont pick up their phone or just take messages. The receptionist said she doesn't know how much it would be and that the doctor needs to decide that but even she's asked her and emailed her but never got a response from the doctor. Past doctors I've been to respond within a few days or even same moment I ask them for a simple quote. I hope the doctor responds, because i initially liked her at the consult but.. my time is important too and the receptionist thanked me for being patient today, acknowledging it's all a bit bizarre.

254fgjjk liked
MemberMember
(@dan-crow)

Posted : 08/26/2015 1:22 pm

If you're unhappy with your derm. look at finding another one. There's plenty of derms to choose from, look for one who is attentive to your needs and doesn't just want to shoo you away or want to prescribe you the generic treatments and then lead you out the door. I find the best one's are willing to listen to your problems and are willing to give you advice. Doing your research on the internet armed with knowledge is your best bet then you can go into your derms office and be prepared.

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 08/26/2015 1:45 pm

Thank you Sebderm Relief. I agree with you on all the points you made. This was a first time consult and it went very well and I found her to be very attentive and helpful. But timely responses to basic questions are important too..so yeah i hope that all this is cleared up otherwise I know I have other options out there for sure.

MemberMember
(@mementomori)

Posted : 08/27/2015 3:14 pm

Sorry about the tough luck you're having when it comes to finding a derm.

I had the most rude and unprofessional "derm" that I felt compelled to write a review on Yelp to warn others. After doing so, I reveived a letter in the mail that was formally saying that Dr. **** doesn't feel it's necessary for me to come back. Not that I would have...

Anyways, if the derms you're seeing aren't making you comfortable, get out of there. Never settle. They aren't worth it.

Given your location, I think there would be many others you can choose from. It's hit or miss. I hope you have better luck!

MemberMember
(@gisselles02)

Posted : 08/28/2015 3:05 am

Sorry you weren't happy with my response but you can't assume that I was being rude because I see in no way how I could have offended you. I was giving an honest response and you're clearly the one being rude to me which I don't appreciate. Besides when my acne was very bad and I wanted to see a professional asap about it, the clinic would always tell me to make an appointment and wait my turn, which I would and I am now happy with my results. If you have a good doctor then it shouldn't be a problem regardless whether or not you can contact them when you please. But if you're unhappy with your treatment or your doctor is not giving you the attention you need when you see her then that's when I believe you should start looking somewhere else. I used to have a dermatologist who couldn't care less about my needs and he actually gave me a prescription with an active ingredient that I specifically told him and wrote down that I was allergic, but he gave it to me anyways. He made my acne worse, he was very ignorant, and I'm pretty sure he only wanted my money instead of wanting to actually help me so I finally decided to leave him for another derm. I'm currently seeing a Dr. Douglas Blose in Downey and he has helped me tremendously. I am very grateful of that clinic and the people there. They are really sweet and they really try to help you as much as they can.

Ps I'll make sure to include smiley faces next time I post so you don't get the wrong idea:):)

I'm really serious when it comes to this subject so I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was being disrespectful. Understand that I was simply giving a suggestion and not a harsh remark

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 08/28/2015 2:00 pm

No, i dont accept rudeness masked as "honesty." I've talked to many many honest people here who express their opinions but know how to do it appropriately. You made assumptions instead of asking questions to find out more. Your suggestion was basically to quit complaining, and then for you to turn the whole thing around on me and say that I somehow wronged you says nothing about me and everything about the kind of person you are..smiley faces added to such remarks mean nothing.

Thank you Mementomori, that was really helpful...I agree with you completely.

I'm glad you spoke up so that others can benefit from hearing your feedback. I'm not surprised by the doctor's response, and like you said, it was meaningless as you would not return to such a person for care anyways. And the most important thing is that you did the best thing for you and helped others in the process. This derm was not my long time derm and I wasn't looking for one, just someone to perform a one time cosmetic procedure. But it would be nice to find a derm to have in general, and I've already found some others I like! Well done and thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@gisselles02)

Posted : 08/28/2015 10:47 pm

If you really feel that way then that's fine, but you don't even know me so I can care less about your judgment. I'm sorry I ever posted. Have a Goodnight

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 08/30/2015 3:13 pm

Hi there. I have been pretty lucky with the derms I have had over the years. And I have almost always been with Kaiser which I know a lot of people despise and hate. I lived in so cal for ten years and actually had a great derm at kaiser in the valley. When I moved back to nor cal same thing I felt like I got lucky with my derm and she was super attentive and nice. I liked her best because she once had acne herself and she put me on accutane at the time for a third time and she herself had been on accutane. I actually couldn't make every monthly appointment when I was on accutane because kaiser derm hours suck always between 830-4 when I am always working so she kindly let me do a phone appointment every other month which I know they are not suppose to let you do when your on accutane. I was living in Texas for two years very recently and I had blue cross. I loved being able to choose my own doctor and I had a really good derm there too. However, I do feel like i was rushed in and out and he too would say email or call if I had any questions about medications etc and always found it hard to get him to respond. However, I do like that he is the first derm to admit that he felt I had hormonal acne and said you don't have to have PCOS to have hormonal acne. He put me on spiro and it helped a lot. It did not cure me and make my oily skin disappear like accutane but it did do wonders for my skin. I would say the second best thing to accutane. However, now I am back in nor cal yes I move a lot..lol and back with kaiser. The only thing that bothers me is I keep getting told by kaiser doctors that I can't have hormonal acne or be put on spiro because I don't have PCOS yet my derm in Texas said the complete opposite so which one is the truth? I think its really important to have a good derm you like and is receptive especially for acne. For me it means a lot when you get a doctor who understands how acne can affect your social and emotional. When I was in So cal my derm was very aware how acne can affect their confidence she really wanted to work with me and try and improve my acne, but also not giving false hope and was realistic. I Hope things work out if not if I were you I would switch derms. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@scar_tissue)

Posted : 08/30/2015 3:23 pm

I had a consultation with a derm who brought up all these prescriptions I already knew about, I felt like she was just listing things, that appointment was a little over $200, was not happy haha.

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 09/08/2015 1:37 pm

Haha...ugh. Scartissue, I can definitely empathize with that.. Sorry that happened and I hope you found someone more helpful x thanks for sharing so that I may feel less alone x

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences Ninergirl. I appreciate it. I'm so glad you've generally had good experiences. I can really relate to the frustration you described about receiving conflicting advice. If you should ever feel comfortable sharing the name of the socal derm, a private message would be appreciated. If not that is cool too. I feel like I've explored all the local popular derms, so I will always be open to word of mouth referrals for the not so well known derms.

MemberMember
(@scar_tissue)

Posted : 11/12/2015 10:11 pm

Yeah, when I left the consultation room and went up to the receptionist for a follow up appointment I told them I did not want to see her and wanted a different dermatologist :) I felt kinda bad but not really. If i'm paying that much money, I want someone i'm happy with. 

MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 11/13/2015 10:13 am

I just picked a dermatologist but Im nervous because they always make me feel bad about myself. I dont need to be reminded of how horrible my skin is.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 11/13/2015 12:13 pm

I'm sorry you guys have all had bad derms! My brother went to an awful one as well.

my derm, personally, was and is fantastic. If anyone is based in london, england, and needs a good derm, feel free to PM me for the details

MemberMember
(@getschwifty)

Posted : 11/13/2015 12:23 pm

I truly hate going through the roller coaster experience of feeling good with a doctor then... next day they change personalities. Please, if you are in s. Cali, feel free to recommend a derm if you are happy with them. Has anyone else suffered from poor communication from their derms? I won't mention the specific doctor I'm dealing with right now. I also consulted with Dr. R. and Emer too and didnt feel comfortable with them. I just want to know, has it been difficult for anyone else to just get a quote for a procedure with a derm or to get an email response from a derm? Just tired and frustrated today. If i were a doctor, I would at least care about patients and respond! I thought I found a good derm but then she doesn't reply to my email, meanwhile I see she's constantly updating her instagram account! I kind of want to tell their office that.

Hi Snowflake!

I live in LA, and I am currently with Dr. Rachael Cayce. I think she has two offices (one in Beverly Hills & one near Downtown LA - I go to the Downtown LA one). She is very caring, knowledgeable and experienced. She has two physician's assistants who are just as awesome and knowledgeable as well. They respond to my email and phone calls (I email them photos of my skin on a regular basis). She has pleasant workers working for her -- both the receptionists and the assistants carrying Ipads to take your information and photos of your face for progress comparison.

I bawled in her office a week prior, especially since I'm going through a bad purging phase with tazorac. She was very compassionate, gave me a hug and just made me feel better overall. I love her so far, even though I've only been seeing her for a month. You can read yelp reviews about her too, and you can see how many people are satisfied with her service!

Lore91 liked
MemberMember
(@purplestove)

Posted : 11/26/2015 10:53 pm

On 8/30/2015, 351, Scar_Tissue said:

I had a consultation with a derm who brought up all these prescriptions I already knew about, I felt like she was just listing things, that appointment was a little over $200, was not happy haha.

My derm does that to me. And constantly ends our sessions by pushingaccutane, which I've said from the start I'd like nothing to do with unless my skin gets crazy again (myacne is consistentbut mild these days, mostly scars that bug me. ) It's basically a list of 5 options, never changes. I just like the rx retin-a she gives me. I need to find a new one.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 11/28/2015 6:13 pm

I really like my derm. She listens to me, answers all my questions and is willing to prescribe a wide range of meds. It's not her fault that my acne is stubborn. Keep on keeping on as there is many derms that honestly care.