Notifications
Clear all

Why Would I Scar All Of A Sudden Whereas I Didn't In Five Years,regardless Of Picking Or Popping?

MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 08/24/2015 2:24 am

I have been dealing with acne for over 5 years.I would pop a zit whenever I saw a head and sometimes would also pick my skin.I never had problems with scarring till early June this year.

It was last February when my acne aggravated a bit,so I saw a dermatologist.He prescribed me Azithromycin 500 mg three days a week for 14 weeks along with some OTC products.I finished the antibiotic course and changed my dermatologist when I started having cysts.The new doctor prescribed me Doxycycline 50 mg a day for 60 days and Clindamycin lotion to use on zits.
But the problem is from early June this year,I noticed that my skin is scarring when a pimple is completely healed( I didn't pop or pick).Later,some new spots came and I popped them and ended with rolling scars.Frightened with the fact that I would end up with more scars,I stopped popping my zits.But the result is same.NO MATTER WHAT-REGARDLESS OF POPPING AND PICKING-I AM GETTING ROLLING SCARS,NOT FOR JUST CYSTS BUT FOR SMALL PAPULES AND PUSTULES.
What can be the reason behind scarring?Is it because of antibiotics?I understand that deeper acne lesions can cause scarring,but why small papules and pustules would start to scar now when I didn't scar in my life.
My life is starting to get meaningless.I hate to look at the mirror now.Please do help!
MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 08/25/2015 8:42 pm

Don't think antibiotics can cause scarring to start occurring but over time the skin loses a little of its robustness from ongoing spots. Life is never meaningless though and you will get through the struggles! There's a lot of support and understanding people and ideas to try on these forums so read on but also focus on the good stuff that makes you happy

MemberMember
(@theguy123)

Posted : 08/25/2015 8:54 pm

I'm in a very similar position to you! I've had acne for the past 4/5 years and used to pop my spots and they never scarred. As soon as I went on accutane I didn't pop my spots but somehow had lots of scars and red marks left over. Its annoying because my spots were so bad on accutane and I never poped them but they have still left red marks. On my forehead I had a lot of small spots which I thought wasn't a problem until they left me with rolling scars. It's annoying but we are just unlucky so hang in there and try to get treatment if it bothers you as much as me. For rolling scars, subcusion, chemical peels and laser resurfacing seem to have the best results. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 08/25/2015 11:34 pm

This happened to me but only my lower cheek after using Retin A. I'm thankful I don't get acne anymore (knock on wood)

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 08/26/2015 12:12 am

Yep all my major rolling scars came when I was on antibiotics or retin a. Its dumb, I know I'm not delusional because I've never noticed horrible scarring before these medications.