Notifications
Clear all

Keloid Scars On My Jawline - Injections Don't Help - Should I Try Laser?

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/23/2015 4:26 pm

I've done 5-6 sessions of cortisone injections but these keloids keep coming back on my jawline, Super annoying and discouraging.

Should I start trying laser?

I don't want to try incision bc they say it's not the right way to treat keloid (it'll come back and get even bigger)

My keloid sometimes swell and itch and red. It all depends on my stress level/immune system I think, cause when I wake up from bed it's smaller.

keloid.jpg

Please help. I've had these for almost 3 years now. I'm so insecure because of them.

And btw I got these from Accutane (after I was done with the treatment, I developed 3-4 more keloids). I also had 1 before I was on accutane.

My face is clear now except for some blackheads on my nose and these scar. Help me please :(

MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/23/2015 6:26 pm

Tried silicone sheets/gel?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2918339/

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/24/2015 8:35 pm

Never tried it.

Do you know how much that costs?

Does it work to eliminate the scar or just reduce its visibility?

ashoka liked
MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/25/2015 8:06 am

Silicone sheets are like $20 at any drug store. If you are patient I'd give it a shot, otherwise pulse dye lasers like Vbeam would work.

MemberMember
(@ponytail)

Posted : 08/26/2015 9:56 pm

Your keloids are really small. I think the main purpose of the laser is get rid of the redness. the injections are more for flattening them and helping with the pain & itching. I'm surprised they didn't work for you, mine are much bigger (also on jawline) and oldddd (8+ years) but they've been flattening out nicely with monthly kenalog injections.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/27/2015 5:45 am

I would also try asking for Kenalog plus 5-FU added. It is a chemotherapy drug, but don't let that freak you out. It is used to stop cells from proliferating. The kenalog is meant to flatten raised scarring and the the 5-FU inhibits their reformation. You'd need to find a dermatologist who is up to date on their literature, because some are clueless and don't even know about this particular use.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10193972

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/31/2015 8:16 pm

Silicone sheets are like $20 at any drug store. If you are patient I'd give it a shot, otherwise pulse dye lasers like Vbeam would work.

What do silicone sheets do? My keloids are bumpy and red. I've had probably 5 injections every month before.. they always come back

Will the sheets help reduce redness?

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/31/2015 9:05 pm

Your keloids are really small. I think the main purpose of the laser is get rid of the redness. the injections are more for flattening them and helping with the pain & itching. I'm surprised they didn't work for you, mine are much bigger (also on jawline) and oldddd (8+ years) but they've been flattening out nicely with monthly kenalog injections.

mine isnt small at all.. the pics are misleading. the bump is annoying :( and i've had this since 2012. before I got on accutane, I only had one of them, and i think its because the facial lady caused that.

When I got on accutane, I got 3-4 more keloids around the area. and the most visible one came from accutane. but then again I blamed my dermatologist for giving me injections on my cyst while it was still very bumpy.

How do I get rid of the redness? Am I hopeless here? Are your keloids red too?

11950832_10154157278247166_1901831979_n.

Look at how inflamed that is

It's embarrassing I feel so self conscious.. I just wanna make sure theres treatment for me out there. Would laser diminish the redness?

I would also try asking for Kenalog plus 5-FU added. It is a chemotherapy drug, but don't let that freak you out. It is used to stop cells from proliferating. The kenalog is meant to flatten raised scarring and the the 5-FU inhibits their reformation. You'd need to find a dermatologist who is up to date on their literature, because some are clueless and don't even know about this particular use.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10193972

Should I ask my dermatologist for that? What are the side effects?

Would it help reduce redness or will it only help with the bumpiness?

11948091_10154157279112166_1540714296_n.

As you can see my keloids are red and bumpy right now. Theyve been there for 2 years

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/31/2015 11:25 pm

Silicone scar sheets help to flatten scars and decrease redness.

It doesn't hurt to ask about the 5-FU from your dermatologist. You'd have to do some research, I'm not totally sure about the side effects.

koons0789 liked
MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 09/01/2015 12:10 pm

Silicone scar sheets help to flatten scars and decrease redness.

It doesn't hurt to ask about the 5-FU from your dermatologist. You'd have to do some research, I'm not totally sure about the side effects.

I will make an appointment asap. Theyre so itchy right now and I scratched them mildly, they look so red and big.. much more than those pics I posted.

Have you personally tried silicone scar sheets on your keloids?

MemberMember
(@fortuneshill)

Posted : 09/01/2015 5:51 pm

If you live in the UK, you may be able to get silicone sheets on prescription free from your doctor. That's what I was going to do.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 09/03/2015 11:33 pm

If you live in the UK, you may be able to get silicone sheets on prescription free from your doctor. That's what I was going to do.

Some other members have also suggested silicone sheets. I will def look into it. Interesting how I've never heard of it until now though.

Let me know how it works for you. I will try them too