Notifications
Clear all

Severe Acne Cured Through Diet Changes. With Pictures

MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 08/22/2015 5:21 pm

Hello all!

I have written my testimony/story for those who want to read it!

For those who don't, keep scrolling and I will talk about my cure below :)

I was taking oral medications to treat my acne for about five years. My dermatologist thought it would be okay for me to be on such medications for that long. Somewhere in those five years, there was a time where I didn™t have a period for nine months. My hormones were completely out of order, and after that nine month time frame, I got off Spironolactone in order to try and regulate my body. However, my cycle went absolutely ballistic. I went from having no period, to the heaviest period of my entire life. My body was lost and relied on medication for so long. It tried to regulate itself, but my hormones were completely out of whack. And, you guessed it. After getting off Spironolactone, my acne came back. So, naturally, I was put on another dosage for the next three years.

I went through on and off cycles (yet, mostly on) until my freshman year of college.

December of 2014, I got off Spironolactone because I thought I had ˜outgrown™ the acne phase.

I was clear for a couple of months, but in May of the next year, things took a turn. I started developing deep, cystic acne and it was pretty inflamed. June and July were the worst for my skin. There were some days where I cried. It was SERIOUSLY taking a toll on me, emotionally. My skin was so incredibly bumpy, inflamed, and people even made comments and asked questions about it. One day, I received TWO comments from two older relatives, and these comments were less than 5 minutes apart. It was at church, first thing in the morning, so of course I walked around all day completely paranoid of how I looked. Another time, I was having a great day at work until I heard œMommy, she has lots of spots on her face, a little boy said, loudly. It literally ruined my positive attitude for the day, and it™s difficult when you don™t feel confident enough to even look people in the eye.

So obviously this was hard for me mentally, and I avoided pictures as much as I could, but I did find a few from this time period that I can share with you guys to show how bad it was. I am wearing foundation in some of them, but you can still clearly see the bumps and cysts that are impossible to cover. Here™s an interesting fact: last summer, my forehead was extremely broken out, but cheeks were clear. This summer, my forehead is clear and all my acne was on my cheeks. Interesting right? Keep in mind, these pictures don™t do it justice; I just completely avoided the camera at this time in my life. They are attached below.

It was May when I broke down and cried because I saw my skin starting to break out pretty badly. I was almost 20 years old, why did I have skin problems? Basically everyone I knew had perfect skin. So, I started doing some research.

It took me a few months to really perfect this all, as it does for everyone. If you™re going to treat the source and find a holistic cure, you™re going to have to experiment with it and find what works.

You may be thinking, œwell she probably drank a ton of sodas and ate a ton of candy/chips/processed foods before. Wrong; I am an athlete, and NEVER touched soda and had a pretty good diet. However, I workout 4-5 times a week, and it was very crucial that I was taking in enough calories in order to put on more muscle mass. Therefore, my breakfast smoothie, at the time, consisted of almond milk, banana, TWO scoops of peanut butter, oats and a vegetable supplement. I was also taking in lots of carbs, such as white rice and wheat toast to pack on some weight! Out of these items, bananas are the only thing I still eat regularly. Why? I explain that below.

Now, my skin is looking better and better every week! The bumps and cysts that I used to have are now completely flat due to cleaning up my diet! And WITHOUT an oral medication. My skin is completely smooth, and its amazing to run my fingers over it. I have red marks from my acne, but I have gotten them before, and they will fade. They are not the icepick/boxed scars that leave dents in the skin, which is why I am confident they will fade on their own.

Here is what I have learned about my body and my skin the past few months, and what has helped me tremendously:

I eliminated gluten: Not only do many people have a gluten-acne connection, but gluten is hard to digest even for those who don™t have an intolerance!! Gluten promotes inflammation, and it WILL wreak havoc on your gut. Ultimately, gluten causes a multitude of problems for lots of people. After taking acne medications for nearly five years, I suspected I have Leaky Gut (the lining of the intestines are damaged, meaning particles of food can literally leak through the holes of the lining and make their way into the bloodstream) and Leaky Gut is a very common cause of skin problems. Gluten will damage the gut even more, and I needed to HEAL my gut, so I avoided it.

I eliminated soy: Very controversial. Soy can create an imbalance of hormones= acne. I personally saw a difference after avoiding my vegetable supplement that contained soy. Soy can also wreak havoc on gut.

I also eliminated dairy, legumes, refined sugars, processed foods= Dairy has a huge connection with acne, and some people say its because the hormones injected into the animals end up in our bodies when we eat dairy. If you™re going to eat dairy, look for ORGANIC/CAGE FREE/NO HORMONES OR ANTIBIOTICS/ ETC.

Peanuts are legumes, and I was eating peanut butter daily. Legumes impair zinc absorption!!! Lots of people take zinc supplements and it clears their acne! Well, stop it from the source. Stop eating legumes so your body can properly absorb zinc in the first place.

Refined sugars, processed foods, and even carbs such as rice= insulin spike. I was eating oats and white rice everyday for the calories, and I stopped. œElevated levels of insulin cause pimples to form. Insulin is a hormone that is released in response to eating, and tells your cells to take in sugar from the blood (glucose) and store it for later use. Insulin levels and blood-sugar levels are closely related (diabetics measure their blood-sugar levels to determine if they need to inject insulin), and blood-sugar levels are controlled directly by what you eat. Sugary and starchy foods, like table sugar, potatoes, and bread, can raise blood-sugar levels quickly for relatively small portions. ( http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Prevent-Pimples-and-Acne-by-Eating-Right/step2/Keep-your-insulin-levels-low/ ) there are multiple articles on this. Look into it.

I™m still looking into nuts: Nuts can cause acne for a lot of people. I was drinking almond milk everyday, and didn™t cut it until July. I believe it has made a huge difference. However, I don™t necessarily think it was the almonds, but the INGREDIENTS in the almond milk. It wasn™t an ˜organic™ brand, so there was a ton of krap in it. I wasn™t drinking it for the nutrition, so I thought I may as well drop it and use water instead for smoothies. My smoothies taste the exact same, and my skin has been looking better. We just weren™t meant to take in so many ˜chemicals™/ingredients that are in almond milk.

Basically, I was following an anti-inflammatory Paleo diet. I also added lots of fats. GOOD OMEGA-3 FATS ARE ANTIFLAMMATORY AND RESET YOUR HORMONES. For example:

I take coconut oil everyday (good source of fats, helps balance hormones, fights bad bacteria in the gut, and skin problems are usually a sign of something wrong in the gut)

I also take L-glutamine to support the lining of my intestines and gut everyday, and I now supplement with certain multivitamins that contain extra Vit D, Zinc, Selenium, etc. I believe this has helped a lot, as most people see a huge change with Vit D and Zinc. I eat lots of sweet potatoes as my carb source!

Here are a few other benefits of my lifestyle change:

1.) Clear skin with no more medication!

2.) BMs that aren™t uncomfortable (lol sorry, my digestive system is just so much better!)

3.) LOWER blood pressure!

4.) Less body fat/lean physique! And so much more...

I believe what we put into our bodies is a TRUE reflection of how we look and feel!! Gluten insensitivities/other internal problems such as Leaky Gut can even cause anxiety and depression, which of course, doctors prescribe pills to treat. I used to make fun of people who had to eat œorganic, but now I love this cure and am trying to spread the word!! Studies on cultures that live a Paleolithic lifestyle show they had CLEAR skin! Our ancestors didn™t have acne, and definitely had less diseases. (The Dietary Cure for Acne by Loren Cordain will cover this, look into it as well.) If you™re reading my post, give this lifestyle change a shot. Any questions??

Typical Day for me:

Breakfast-Green smoothie with water, ice, a banana (carbs in the morning, makes smoothie sweet), 2 big handfuls of spinach, (fiber, good for digestion, anti-inflammatory), half avocado, (balance hormones, good source of fats, filling, sweetness) blueberries, (reduces insulin levels!!!, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory), 5-8 grams of glutamine, 1-2 tbsp coconut oil.

If this isn't enough, I'll have Sweet Potato Pancakes (literally just 2 eggs and 1 cooked medium sweet potato in the blender to create a batter, fry like a regular pancake)

Here is, in a simple form, what I eat:

Meals: 1 protein (chicken, fish, turkey, eggs, etc) 1 carb (squash, sweet potato, etc) 1 fat (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, etc)

I basically just focus on whole, REAL foods! It is what our bodies are meant for.

Don't overcomplicate it! Address your inflammation from nutrition with WHOLE foods!

I do have cheat meals on the weekends and still enjoy myself!

You must think of this as a LIFESTYLE CHANGE!

I have included some before photos, and one after photo taken this morning. As you can see, my cheeks are now nearly flat, I just have some 'left over acne' that will flake off in the next few days. I have only been doing this for about 2-3 months, and am looking forward to seeing even more progress in the next few months :) Thanks for reading! I hope this can help others, I had to share what worked for me!

it is a lifestyle change :)

The third photo is showing the same cheek as the last photo!!!! Crazy....

post-473355-0-94398600-1440281481.png

post-473355-0-45560200-1440281843.png

post-473355-0-69455200-1441312599.jpg

post-473355-0-34865400-1441312731.jpg

post-473355-0-80377500-1441312748.jpg

S33kingS0lution, AhaGuru, Coce99 and 12 people liked
MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/22/2015 8:37 pm

good for you - I too am gluten free, soy free and dairy free....haven't gone paleo yet, I am very thin and I can't afford to lose weight

you look very slim too....are you able to maintain your weight on this diet?

and good for you for doing it the hard way!! so great when you find your answer!!!!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 08/23/2015 7:35 am

Wow your skin is looking so much better :) I have also found that eliminating grains (as well as processed food) improves my skin. I guess you could call it paleo. I am still experimenting. I find too much fruit makes me break out as well so have to b careful and like u i am still not sure about nuts. ??? Mrsrobinson i am thin as well and have trouble putting on weight. Honestly though i never put on weight before when i was stuffing my face with lots of carbs and junk food! I have not lost weight being on this diet but my bmi puts me in the 'underweight' category. I think its just my genes. The diet can b annoying sometimes but for me its worth it for better skin. It hasnt been a complete cure - i have started taking some supplements - fish oil etc. And vitex to see if i can try to further balance my hormones.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 08/25/2015 11:37 am

good for you - I too am gluten free, soy free and dairy free....haven't gone paleo yet, I am very thin and I can't afford to lose weight

and good for you for doing it the hard way!! so great when you find your answer!!!!

I have definitely leaned out, but I'm at a healthy weight! I know in the picture where I'm wearing a red shirt, it was taken at an awkward angle so it looks like a big head on a small, underweight body lol but that is not the case. my face is just really lean! for you, i would suggest taking in more calories, and good fats. try more lean meats, eat avocados, salmon, olive oil and eat squash, sweet potatoes, etc for your carb sources!

Wow your skin is looking so much better :) I have also found that eliminating grains (as well as processed food) improves my skin. I guess you could call it paleo. I am still experimenting. I find too much fruit makes me break out as well so have to b careful and like u i am still not sure about nuts. ??? Mrsrobinson i am thin as well and have trouble putting on weight. Honestly though i never put on weight before when i was stuffing my face with lots of carbs and junk food! I have not lost weight being on this diet but my bmi puts me in the 'underweight' category. I think its just my genes. The diet can b annoying sometimes but for me its worth it for better skin. It hasnt been a complete cure - i have started taking some supplements - fish oil etc. And vitex to see if i can try to further balance my hormones.

thank you :) keep experimenting! eat lots of fat to balance your hormones. coconut oil everyday has worked for me. keep me updated!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 08/30/2015 5:53 pm

I have definitely leaned out, but I'm at a healthy weight! I know in the picture where I'm wearing a red shirt, it was taken at an awkward angle so it looks like a big head on a small, underweight body lol but that is not the case. my face is just really lean! for you, i would suggest taking in more calories, and good fats. try more lean meats, eat avocados, salmon, olive oil and eat squash, sweet potatoes, etc for your carb sources!

thank you :) keep experimenting! eat lots of fat to balance your hormones. coconut oil everyday has worked for me. keep me updated!

I agree fats are so important. I read about so many people going on low fat/raw vegan sort of diets to help their skin. Well i tried that for 4 weeks and my skin was TERRIBLE. Probably because i was eating ALOT of fruit = too much sugar!! I try to eat salmon quite a bit, eggs, avocado and also find full fat goats milk yogurt agrees with me (i know dairy's supposed to b bad !) Havent used coconut oil very much but will give it a try - thanks.

MemberMember
(@lilysmith)

Posted : 09/01/2015 3:20 am

I have already noticed that when I start eating more sugar and flour my skin gets much worse so I try to avoid them.

MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 09/03/2015 4:08 pm

This is absolutely amazing. I have done very things similar to you. Check out my first blog I wrote on how I cleared my skin. You may find some helpful tips for your self! : )

thank you! i read it:) its awesome, focusing on whole foods can do SO much for the body!!!! :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/04/2015 9:47 pm

How long did it take you to see improvements?

MemberMember
(@user465288)

Posted : 09/05/2015 1:17 pm

If you are active, you can gain muscle, getting lean without getting skinny and fix acne on something very close or similar to the Ornish diet. You might need to eat a lot. Remember that Not All Carbs Are Created Equal

MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 09/09/2015 4:06 pm

about 2-3 months!!! its a lifestyle change, not a quick fix :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/09/2015 5:24 pm

Did you continue to break out when you began to make these changes. I'm eating a similar diet and I am still breaking out with at least 3 actives a day! I've also done paleo in the past for months with no results.

MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 09/09/2015 6:15 pm

Did you continue to break out when you began to make these changes. I'm eating a similar diet and I am still breaking out with at least 3 actives a day! I've also done paleo in the past for months with no results.

At first, yes, I was still sort of breaking out. It takes a few months to really cleanse your system. What do you eat exactly???

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/09/2015 6:34 pm

At first, yes, I was still sort of breaking out. It takes a few months to really cleanse your system. What do you eat exactly???

squash, cauliflower other veggies and grass fed organic meats, wild salmon, olive and coconut oil. Some berries. It's low glycemic and super healthy. My face has almost as many bumps as yours dead and its getting worse daily. I feel cysts developing under my chin and neck.

i have a prescription for spiro but wanted to try this before doing that. At what point can i expect to see less iflammation? This is so discouraging. Plus I am losing massive amounts of weight despite all the fats im eating.

Cacti liked
MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 09/10/2015 11:01 am

squash, cauliflower other veggies and grass fed organic meats, wild salmon, olive and coconut oil. Some berries. It's low glycemic and super healthy. My face has almost as many bumps as yours dead and its getting worse daily. I feel cysts developing under my chin and neck.

i have a prescription for spiro but wanted to try this before doing that. At what point can i expect to see less iflammation? This is so discouraging. Plus I am losing massive amounts of weight despite all the fats im eating.

How long exactly have you been eating like this?? Have you ever been tested for food allergies?? I'm going to assume you also don't consume vegetable oils in your cooking, right?? What is your skin care routine? And do you take any multivitamins?? I feel like the mulitvitamins really helped me. I took a certain kind for women that had extra antioxidants/extra Vit D and Zinc too...

And try not to be discouraged. I know what you are going through, and it is hard, but please try to have faith. Try honey masks, or soaking a towel in hot water/salt and letting it sit on your face and repeat that process for about 20 mins to help pull some pus out. I know its gross,but i did that and it helped a lot of the cysts come to a head.

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/12/2015 4:46 pm

I've been tested for everything under the sun by both MD's and naturopath. I've even been to one of the best naturopaths in NY and he wasn't able to help. I cook in healthy oils and I currently follow a paleo diet minus nuts, eggs and nights hades. I've done multivitamins and it hasn't worked. Diet never worked for me at all. My skin care is washing and moisturizing as I've developed dermatitis and can't use much of anything at this time. I'm attempting to switch my cleanser to a b5/aloe Vera cleanser. I'm definitely an anomaly. In any event , if this diet thing doesn't help, I'm trying spiro so I can at least rule it out. The emotional impact of having moderate acne at 32 is something that cannot be put into words.

MemberMember
(@seekintoberealagain)

Posted : 09/12/2015 8:39 pm

Wow... I'm so happy I came across this site and saw this topic it's scary how similar your attitude and acne is to mine. Only real difference is i had delicate skin to begin with (meaning i scar easily) so it's hit me hard in that respect. Though I've followed your same thought process in eating only organic whole foods talking supplements working out measuring my cals antioxidants the lot. Even though i pretty much did that before i got acne have always been crazy into diet and sports (World Ringside champion 2 years running and quite high in my American Football etc). Well all before the acne knocked me about xD. Any-ways I've learned a couple things through reading your post and I'm grateful for it! :)

A good example is I knew zinc was a cause of acne but i didn't know the reason was if you had a deficiency in it. I never knew that nor did i know about grains. I'm thinking if i add these to my daily routine i should be on the fast track to a happier face :P So thanks for your post you've helped me so i'm glad you took your time to make it. must of took some time and confidence to take photos and show it to people at least it would be for me i have trouble even looking at my own reflection sadly but that's my hurdle to overcome. Thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 09/13/2015 12:52 am

I've been tested for everything under the sun by both MD's and naturopath. I've even been to one of the best naturopaths in NY and he wasn't able to help. I cook in healthy oils and I currently follow a paleo diet minus nuts, eggs and nights hades. I've done multivitamins and it hasn't worked. Diet never worked for me at all. My skin care is washing and moisturizing as I've developed dermatitis and can't use much of anything at this time. I'm attempting to switch my cleanser to a b5/aloe Vera cleanser. I'm definitely an anomaly. In any event , if this diet thing doesn't help, I'm trying spiro so I can at least rule it out. The emotional impact of having moderate acne at 32 is something that cannot be put into words.

!

I am 31 with acne so know what you mean.

Diet has helped my skin alot but not cured it. I think there are most likely still underlying hormonal issues that cause acne. Some people are lucky enough that diet alone might be enough to correct their imbalances.

I have never taken spiro but sounds like it might b worth trying - does it lower androgens? I have started taking estroblock (dim) and vitex to try to balance my hormones. So far i have had an improvement but too early for me to get my hopes up yet :)

MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 09/20/2015 6:52 pm

I have already noticed that when I start eating more sugar and flour my skin gets much worse so I try to avoid them.

It sounds like thats the culprit for a lot of people. glad you found your cure:)

Have you ever been tested for a hormone imbalance?

Wow... I'm so happy I came across this site and saw this topic it's scary how similar your attitude and acne is to mine. Only real difference is i had delicate skin to begin with (meaning i scar easily) so it's hit me hard in that respect. Though I've followed your same thought process in eating only organic whole foods talking supplements working out measuring my cals antioxidants the lot. Even though i pretty much did that before i got acne have always been crazy into diet and sports (World Ringside champion 2 years running and quite high in my American Football etc). Well all before the acne knocked me about xD. Any-ways I've learned a couple things through reading your post and I'm grateful for it! :)

A good example is I knew zinc was a cause of acne but i didn't know the reason was if you had a deficiency in it. I never knew that nor did i know about grains. I'm thinking if i add these to my daily routine i should be on the fast track to a happier face :P So thanks for your post you've helped me so i'm glad you took your time to make it. must of took some time and confidence to take photos and show it to people at least it would be for me i have trouble even looking at my own reflection sadly but that's my hurdle to overcome. Thanks again :)

This makes me so happy. I created this to show people what diet/research/vitamins did for my skin! I was incredibly depressed and self conscious and once I found something that began to clear my skin (that wasn't a freaking pill lol) i knew i had to share it. I was so excited to share it too! I knew if i could help somebody, i would be happy. Thanks so much for reading my long post lol. I'm glad you found something that works for you and learned a thing or two. Thanks again for your kind words:)

MemberMember
(@trustyolive)

Posted : 09/27/2015 9:28 pm

I know it sounds crazy, but have you ever heard of the Caveman Regime? You basically don't wash your face AT ALL for 30 days or so. I did it and it really improved my face/lessened my breakouts. You can find more on it if you google- there are testimonies of it even curing cyst acne. Good luck!

Rachkellz liked
MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 11/19/2015 12:14 pm

I'm seeing a lot of posts about gluten/diet changes in the Diet and Holistic Health forum. Just wanted to bump this!

MemberMember
(@kcurry90)

Posted : 12/20/2015 8:30 pm

I am 4 days in to my new diet of no gluten, dairy, vegetable oils or soy. I am 5'7 and currently weigh 120lbs so I'm a little nervous about losing weight eating this way, especially with exercise. Did you find that you had to eat more meals a day or higher amounts of protein to maintain weight? As far as carbs -did you find rice or quinoa to be okay or should that be avoided as well?

MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 02/05/2016 4:51 pm

On December 21, 2015 at 7:30 PM, kcurry90 said:

I am 4 days in to my new diet of no gluten, dairy, vegetable oils or soy. I am 5'7 and currently weigh 120lbs so I'm a little nervous about losing weight eating this way, especially with exercise. Did you find that you had to eat more meals a day or higher amounts of protein to maintain weight? As far as carbs -did you find rice or quinoa to be okay or should that be avoided as well?

I did eat more protein, but I also ate lots of good fats!! They will help keep you full and give you energy, and its a good source of quality calories. Throw avocados into your salads. Eat coconut oil/put it in your smoothies/coffee. Use olive oil as a dressing. Eat hard boiled eggs and salmon! I did lose some weight, but it was just fat, and not muscle weight. Therefore I ended up with a leaner and fitter physique. For carbs, try sweet potatoes, squash, etc. I definitely didn't do rice because of the insulin spike/sugars. The reason I didn't eat quinoa either is because it is a grain. Does this help?

On December 27, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Pord said:

OP, are you still around? Looking for an update.

Thanks for sticking around! It has been a while since I've logged on. When I deviate from eating right for more than a couple of weeks, I can see a difference in my skin. Note that one cheeseburger and fries won't cause me to break out, but it seems if I eat the wrong things for a decent amount of time, I develop a few zits again! Interesting. I actually went about 2 months without eating right, and surely enough I started to break out again. I'm starting to think soy is really bad for me. There are countless benefits of eating right, truthfully.

MemberMember
(@alynine)

Posted : 02/19/2016 12:26 pm

So glad to see diet change helping someone else's skin! I started a paleo diet as well back in December and saw dramatic skin clearance within three weeks, Leading me to believe my acne is definitely food-related skin allergies. My thoughts were reinforced when I fell off the wagon, started eating normal again, and it all came back. So I'm restarting now that I know for sure it's diet related. Everyone acts like I'm crazy for following a "fad" diet and not eating grains or drinking beer now, Haha.

For anyone interested in trying a paleo diet to see if it helps their skin but not sure where or how to start I recommend looking up paleoleap and paleorestart. They provide tons of info, shopping lists, full menus, and recipes.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/19/2016 1:30 pm

Rachkellz, beautiful results!!! Just goes to show that not all clear-skin solutions need to come from a pill or a topical! Bravo!!  Eating healthy and putting the best-quality foods into our bodies is so important, regardless of how clear we are. I also did a complete lifestyle revamp several years ago and feel great at age 43!! Best wishes for great health and continued success!!  :)

Rachkellz liked
MemberMember
(@cacti)

Posted : 03/01/2016 8:57 am

Curious why you've cut eggs out?