Notifications
Clear all

Closed Comedones And Differin

MemberMember
(@thalazine)

Posted : 08/20/2015 2:48 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for years now. I can't seem to find anything that helps my problem though.

I have pretty bad closed comedones all over both sides of my face on my cheeks and jawline, as well as my chin. Wearing makeup makes them look worse but I'm too insecure about my face to not wear it, and I only started wearing makeup a month ago. I've had these closed comedones for over a year so that is NOT the cause. I have tried so many different products and literally nothing has made the slightest difference, so I really need help. My inflammatory acne would be at mild/moderate, depending on if I couldn't resist the urge and start picking at all my closed comedones, which sometimes results in them turning into inflamed pustules, and once those go away it turns back into a closed comedone.

2.5 months ago I went to the dermatologist for a different problem and asked about these at the same time, and was prescribed Differin 0.1%. Since then, I have been using it every night. I had no IB, and also have seen no change in my inflammatory acne as well as my inflammatory acne. Literally nothing has changed in the past 2 and a half months.

My current skin care routine is:

AM

Wash face with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Apply Paulas Choice 2% BHA/ Paula's Choice 8% Glycolic Acid AHA (sometimes I alternate days, other times I'll put BHA and then AHA on top)

Moisturize with Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer

Makeup

PM

Use cleansing wipes to remove makeup

Wash face with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Apply Differin

Sometimes apply Aztec Secret Clay Mask mixed with ACV

Please tell me if this sounds okay or if I should be changing anything in my routine. Sometimes I manually exfoliate as well.

Does anyone know, is there still hope for me with Differin? I would have expected at least SOMETHING to have happened in 2.5 months, but literally nothing has changed. If not, what other things could I try that would help get rid of these stupid closed comedones? Thank you!

MemberMember
(@veronikavanquish)

Posted : 08/21/2015 3:09 am

I've been battling closed comedones for akmost two years now myself. I found all those AHA AND BHA products to be temporary fixes, only helping for a day or so. And oddly enought the Lush face mask "Love Lettuce" made the most significant temporary difference. Unfortunately the effect of these products all started to decline for me and I am now at the point where nothing helps..so I guess the question is...what can we do to help our skin deal with the closed comedones on it's own? For good?