Depression And Obse...

Notifications
Clear all

Depression And Obsession With No One To Talk To

MemberMember
(@bombardjo)

Posted : 08/20/2015 9:37 am

Hey everyone,

I'm really new to this site. I'm 21 and should be enjoying my life to the fullest extent. But I'm held back by my moderate acne, ocd, and depression. I have been doing some research and realized I suffer from Acne Exorciee. I'm so self conscious and depressed about my acne and will most of the time attack my face and make it worse. I know what in doing is terrible but I can't stop. I am currently on Tretinoin 0.1% and using a Benzoyl Peroxide wash in the morning. I should be happy I'm using something to help my skin but I'm so impatient and unhappy. Mentally I know I'm not helping the medication help me clear my skin by picking the way I do but I have no idea how to stop. I really need someone to talk to and some real advice!!!

MemberMember
(@cassie88)

Posted : 08/20/2015 11:25 am

You are not alone and I know exactly how you feel. Just two days ago all the stress and unhappiness caused me to pick a cyst on my cheek. I now have a HUGE yellow scab and feel even worse. When you get to the mirror and are about to pick just try to pause and think about how in just a few minutes you will feel so much worse and guilty.

The danger is when you get into the "zone" as I call it where you just go into a frenzy and pick at every little bump on your face. I had managed to not pick for several weeks by forcing myself to stop and think how in a few minutes i could destroy my face. I remembered the times I had picked and then immediately regretted it wishing i could go back in time just by 2 minutes.

I think a big factor is there are so few people we can go to about this. I'm trying to find support groups for OCD and dermatillomania near where I live, maybe you could do the same?

*DarkHeart*, M=DontGiveUp, April96 and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@kathdenmark)

Posted : 08/20/2015 11:38 am

I've suffered from the same problem through many years.. Its never been as good as it is now; my picking is at a minimum! It has really helped me to have constant company around me, so i wouldn't have any desire to pick and then look all red and bumpy... Like Cassie88 wrote - you are truly not alone!!!

A tip to avoid the "zone" when you enter either the bathroom or another room with a mirror: have a timer with you.

What do you do with your skin after you have picked?? Cover it with makeup or leave it be?

MemberMember
(@bombardjo)

Posted : 08/20/2015 11:58 am

Thank you for the advice and support! Usually I pick in the morning before a shower or at night before I was my face. One big issue is I don't know who to talk to because no one I know has this issue or understands what immgoing through.

MemberMember
(@ben007)

Posted : 08/21/2015 1:29 am

So your obsessive and frustrated about the acne and therefore react in skin picking? And are you seeing or seeking any type of counselling? I'm sorry to hear you have depression.

I used to skin pick at my face abut 5 years ago (thankfully no scars!).The first thing I used to do when waking up was looking at my pimples. So eventually being able to avoid examining or noticing flaws on my face actually really helped my moderate acne. In your case however, I think you need to work out a routine that makes morning and night washes quick as well as keeping yourself busy to avoid any touching.

I used to be able to slightly conceal scabs using make-up powder.

MemberMember
(@cassie88)

Posted : 08/21/2015 5:56 pm

I don't know if it will help but maybe start a 30 day no picking challenge on these forums or something? I'll join you!

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/22/2015 7:03 am

I don't know if it will help but maybe start a 30 day no picking challenge on these forums or something? I'll join you!

MemberMember
(@bombardjo)

Posted : 08/22/2015 10:04 am

I think it would be a really good idea for me to start a challenge. I've been really trying to be good since my last attack on my face (Wednesday) but this morning I did pop a couple but not a full on attack. I guess thats no excuse but starting right now i will try my absolute hardest. i just need to remind myself how much harm i am doing.

MemberMember
(@cassie88)

Posted : 08/22/2015 10:23 am

Yes like you say it will never be better if you pick. Its difficult though, today I was subconsciously rubbing my face feeling for all the imperfections! Sounds like you doing pretty well though, hang in there!!!

And this will sound crazy but sometimes what helped sometimes for me was having a red light or putting some vaseline on my mirrors (like those 80s soaps lol) so I couldn't see all the details and pores on my face - just anything that took focus away!

I think it would be a really good idea for me to start a challenge. I've been really trying to be good since my last attack on my face (Wednesday) but this morning I did pop a couple but not a full on attack. I guess thats no excuse but starting right now i will try my absolute hardest. i just need to remind myself how much harm i am doing.

MemberMember
(@kathdenmark)

Posted : 08/22/2015 3:38 pm

My beautician suggested to me once that IF i decided to pick, it was best to do so when the skin is clean. That minimizes the risk for infection and so on... If you use a BHA or AHA afterwards it also takes the worse of the redness etc away i find. :-) So if you have to pick or feel an urge - clean the slate and do it, or slather yourself in oils/creams/etc to make the urge go away. That helps me the most :)

If you are doing a 30 day challenge IM IN! Unfortunately felt a small bump on my forehead and felt the urge - didn't succeed to resist... :/

Lots of support from me!

MemberMember
(@bombardjo)

Posted : 08/22/2015 10:33 pm

Thank you for the tip and I appreciate the support!

My beautician suggested to me once that IF i decided to pick, it was best to do so when the skin is clean. That minimizes the risk for infection and so on... If you use a BHA or AHA afterwards it also takes the worse of the redness etc away i find. :-) So if you have to pick or feel an urge - clean the slate and do it, or slather yourself in oils/creams/etc to make the urge go away. That helps me the most :)

If you are doing a 30 day challenge IM IN! Unfortunately felt a small bump on my forehead and felt the urge - didn't succeed to resist... :/

Lots of support from me!