Notifications
Clear all

Can't Afford Accutane

MemberMember
(@chellerscheckers)

Posted : 08/20/2015 5:04 am

Hello,

I have been struggling the past year with increasingly oily skin and terrible acne. I'm 18, and my dermatologist told me my body is done developing and now I'm moving into the "adult acne" stage. I took Accutane when I was in the 7th grade, and it cleared up my skin completely and it stayed that way for years. Before Accutane, I had tried almost every cream and pill available and nothing worked on me. I had severe acne all over my face, neck, chest, and back...and I was only in middle school! In the past 2 years my acne has started to come back. My dermatologist put me on antibiotics because those were the only things that seemed to help keep my skin clear. I tried stopping them earlier in the year, but a month after I stopped taking the antibiotics my skin became very oily and I was breaking out in large pimples all over. They put me back on the meds, but now I have to quit taking the pills in a few weeks.

I'm an incoming college freshman, and my brother is in college too, so money has become a lot tighter for us. My dad's company provides insurance for us, but it doesn't cover Accutane. The only time they will help is after we have paid over $4,000 for the treatment. Then the insurance starts to kick in. But we can't afford that right now. I have no idea what to do. I had depression and anxiety when my acne was really bad and I don't know if I can handle having such severe acne again. I know it will come back after I am off the antibiotics. I have tried many creams and ointments but nothing ever works on my skin. Accutane was the only thing that ever worked for me but it's out of our budget now. We would be paying over $1,000 a month for the pills, lab work, and doctor visits.

Please, I am DESPERATE! If anyone can offer up any help or ideas, it would mean the world to me. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@merch)

Posted : 08/22/2015 12:46 am

Why dont u try low dose accutane,like 10mg per day for 6 months, you will be clear then,but after the clearence u need to use retinoid to maintain the skin as with low dose accutane the acne is likely to come back within 6 months

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 08/22/2015 3:42 am

Your derm sounds like he's bullshitting. He thinks your body is done developing just because you're legally an adult in the United States? Does he know that many people develop past 21? You're still a teenager. You know how many people's acne finally goes away in their early 20's? But he's using that as if it's a good excuse to 'call it quits' and hop on the tane.

Anyways, I'm downing your derm. No offense to you. If you really wanna take the accutane route, I think merch gave some good advise. But if you want the full dosage, there's a few ways around getting it without paying for it. Perhaps ordering it despite the fact that the insurance company won't cover it, and "pay it back" later.

But going natural and figuring out what may be causing it is another good route if you'd consider doing that. It's not the easiest route, but it's the safest and most effective if you succeed.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/22/2015 1:51 pm

Hello,

I have been struggling the past year with increasingly oily skin and terrible acne. I'm 18, and my dermatologist told me my body is done developing and now I'm moving into the "adult acne" stage. I took Accutane when I was in the 7th grade, and it cleared up my skin completely and it stayed that way for years. Before Accutane, I had tried almost every cream and pill available and nothing worked on me. I had severe acne all over my face, neck, chest, and back...and I was only in middle school! In the past 2 years my acne has started to come back. My dermatologist put me on antibiotics because those were the only things that seemed to help keep my skin clear. I tried stopping them earlier in the year, but a month after I stopped taking the antibiotics my skin became very oily and I was breaking out in large pimples all over. They put me back on the meds, but now I have to quit taking the pills in a few weeks.

I'm an incoming college freshman, and my brother is in college too, so money has become a lot tighter for us. My dad's company provides insurance for us, but it doesn't cover Accutane. The only time they will help is after we have paid over $4,000 for the treatment. Then the insurance starts to kick in. But we can't afford that right now. I have no idea what to do. I had depression and anxiety when my acne was really bad and I don't know if I can handle having such severe acne again. I know it will come back after I am off the antibiotics. I have tried many creams and ointments but nothing ever works on my skin. Accutane was the only thing that ever worked for me but it's out of our budget now. We would be paying over $1,000 a month for the pills, lab work, and doctor visits.

Please, I am DESPERATE! If anyone can offer up any help or ideas, it would mean the world to me. Thank you.