Notifications
Clear all

Everlasting Cysts

MemberMember
(@spookytwiglet)

Posted : 08/17/2015 6:13 pm

Hi all,

I've been dealing with serious acne on and off for years now. I'm a few weeks shy of 21 years old, and just finishing up a second 7-month course of Accutane. The Accutane has been mostly successful, but I do find I still get cysts once in a while.

The problem is that since I've started the treatment, these cysts take increasingly long to come to a head. They're usually almost painless, too.

About 10 days ago, I got a cyst on my temple injected with Cortisone. It went down for a day or two, but has since come back and it's now quite solid. I've been trying to get a head to form, mostly with some hot compresses and trying to squeeze the pus up to the surface, but I've made little headway. Now it looks especially nasty (at this point, I'm not too worried about scarring), and appears to have multiple centers.

I would go back to my dermatologist, but I'm on holiday for a week. Any ideas how to bring it to a head?

post-485457-0-41391900-1439853185.jpg

post-485457-0-95263300-1439853185.jpg

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/17/2015 7:02 pm

I would stick with the hot compress, apply every 10 minutes once an hour (or as often as you can throughout the day). If it is going to form a head, this regimen should bring it to one in a few days. Also, stop squeezing it, it is highly likely that doing so it prolonging the healing time and pushing the inflammation/infection deeper into your skin.