Notifications
Clear all

Ketosis And Accutane

MemberMember
(@tcoun)

Posted : 08/16/2015 3:26 am

I recently started Isotretinoin (80mg/day) and i was recently made aware that I could hurt my liver by doing a combination of taking the meds, and being in the state of ketosis (since the liver has to constantly supply ketone bodies). I don't really know who to ask since my dermatologist isn't exactly a gastroenterologist. I really don't want liver failure, but I also don't want to have to quit accutane...and I can't exactly stop being in ketosis, as I am doing it for health reasons (I do not tolerate sugar or gluten well). What do you think? I can't find much about it on google either, so any ideas/suggestions would be helpful. :)

MemberMember
(@acnesuffer9)

Posted : 08/16/2015 7:02 am

whats ketosis?

MemberMember
(@tcoun)

Posted : 08/16/2015 12:25 pm

whats ketosis?

I'm debating explaining,or simply just waiting until someone comes around who knows an answer lol.

whats ketosis?

Ketosis is a state in which the body uses ketone bodies (rather than carbohydrates) as fuel for energy. It's good for people who have seizures, and for those who need the benefit of the stable blood sugar.

MemberMember
(@mikkurs)

Posted : 08/16/2015 12:33 pm

I recently started Isotretinoin (80mg/day) and i was recently made aware that I could hurt my liver by doing a combination of taking the meds, and being in the state of ketosis (since the liver has to constantly supply ketone bodies). I don't really know who to ask since my dermatologist isn't exactly a gastroenterologist. I really don't want liver failure, but I also don't want to have to quit accutane...and I can't exactly stop being in ketosis, as I am doing it for health reasons (I do not tolerate sugar or gluten well). What do you think? I can't find much about it on google either, so any ideas/suggestions would be helpful. :)

Even if you don't tolerate gluten or sugar well, that doesn't mean you're stuck being in a ketosis diet. Theres plenty of gluten-free carbohydrates, like brown rice and buckwheat, and they wont make your blood sugar spike : )

MemberMember
(@tcoun)

Posted : 08/16/2015 3:40 pm

Even if you don't tolerate gluten or sugar well, that doesn't mean you're stuck being in a ketosis diet. Theres plenty of gluten-free carbohydrates, like brown rice and buckwheat, and they wont make your blood sugar spike : )

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I use it to combat my hereditary high blood pressure.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 08/16/2015 7:54 pm

Ketones are produced using enzymes that are not involved in the conversion of isotretinoin to retinoid derivatives. Also, people generally enter ketosis every night while sleeping. You should be just fine.

MemberMember
(@tcoun)

Posted : 08/17/2015 10:31 pm

Ketones are produced using enzymes that are not involved in the conversion of isotretinoin to retinoid derivatives. Also, people generally enter ketosis every night while sleeping. You should be just fine.

WOW! Thanks!

Wait, I just thought about what you said lol. That can't be true, because the body will still use the liver's store of glycogen (it stores approximately 500 carbs). Even with moderate exercise, it takes about 2 days to deplete that, so there's no way you enter into ketosis every night. What you may be referring to is catabolism (of the muscles), but whatever, I still probably shouldn't freak out over it as long as I'm feeling ok. Thanks though!