Am I Using Bp And Antibiotics Right?

MemberMember
(@formula1975)

Posted : 08/14/2015 6:26 am

Hi everyone! (btw this is my first post so bare with

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/14/2015 10:25 am

Hi everyone! (btw this is my first post so bare with)

I was prescribed lymecycline (antibiotics) and 5% benzoyl peroxide by my gp for my moderate acne. I received the antibiotics on the 4th of August and immediately notice a improvement, my skin had a better skin tone and I could feel it was more even as the bumps had been reduced.

I got the BP a few days later and haven't really had the same improvements. Im not really sure how much I'm supposed to be putting on or if I need to wash it off after?! It seems to be very drying on some areas of my skin and was wondering if anyone else has been prescribed similar or the same treatment and how they got on with it. Obviously it's been just over a week so I'm not going to see the biggest improvements.

For context I have mild acne and along the hair line and forehead, moderate acne around the chin/mouth and moderate acne just under my jaw line. All places have what I consider to be scarring rather than spots which I cannot get rid of!!! I'm 16 years old, make and use a gentle face wash about once or twice a day.

Hi - it is a good idea to continue using the BP with the antibiotics, as the combination significantly reduces the chance of developing bacterial resistance. I would say, that if you are noticing alot of dryness from the BP, you might want to add a light, non-comedgenic moisturizer into the mix. I would recommend using a pea-size amount, and maybe only use it once a day for now.

MemberMember
(@formula1975)

Posted : 08/14/2015 10:38 am

Apply it twice/day about 12 hours apart. Since you have assurance against breaking out b/c you're taking antibiotics, you can probably get away w/ an amount that is slightly easy to spread across your skin. The more product you use the more easily you can do this. So I'd say 2 mL for your entire face. No, don't wash it off. Be sure to moisturize after applying the BP.

Once the antibiotics are gone, I'd increase the dosage to 4 mL twice/day. As long as you're doing stuff that provides assurance against breaking out (AHA, zinc, etc.), you can probably get away w/ 2 mL.

I've got the antibiotics for 3 months and my gp said he can easily increase it. Could you recommend a good moisturiser? And what's AHA? And by zinc do you mean a zinc supplement? Is zinc good for acne?!

Thanks

Hi - it is a good idea to continue using the BP with the antibiotics, as the combination significantly reduces the chance of developing bacterial resistance. I would say, that if you are noticing alot of dryness from the BP, you might want to add a light, non-comedgenic moisturizer into the mix. I would recommend using a pea-size amount, and maybe only use it once a day for now.

Could you recommend any good moisturisers? Thanks

MemberMember
(@kingjosie)

Posted : 08/14/2015 10:43 am

youre literally exactly the same as me!! im 16 and have mild acne, and bp worked like a charm showing results within a week but it caused long term damage so i wouldnt use it for too long as the acne can come back worse after you stop and its a pain, trust me (not to scare you, just warning). however, you are supposed to use a moisturizer half an hour after application of bp (apply it too soon after and it can burn) and there shouldnt be too much problem, thats how you usually keep the dryness minimal. but do please be careful with bp! you dont wash it off and you apply it once a day in the evening and keep it on overnight, and be sure that youre applying the smallest/thinnest amount on just the affected areas.

you are using them correctly as bp and antibiotics are often prescribed together. just that very often theyre both quite slow at showing results initially, or one could be faster than the other, its different for everyone.

i got lymecycline after i stopped using bp for 2 months because of the damages it made and personally i only noticed my skin showing no improvement with lymecycline so i stopped halfway through my second pack with no negative effects from stopping cold turkey. but glad to hear you noticed improvements with it! guess my skin is just stubborn ha.

wishing you luck! :)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/14/2015 11:03 am

Apply it twice/day about 12 hours apart. Since you have assurance against breaking out b/c you're taking antibiotics, you can probably get away w/ an amount that is slightly easy to spread across your skin. The more product you use the more easily you can do this. So I'd say 2 mL for your entire face. No, don't wash it off. Be sure to moisturize after applying the BP.

Once the antibiotics are gone, I'd increase the dosage to 4 mL twice/day. As long as you're doing stuff that provides assurance against breaking out (AHA, zinc, etc.), you can probably get away w/ 2 mL.

I've got the antibiotics for 3 months and my gp said he can easily increase it. Could you recommend a good moisturiser? And what's AHA? And by zinc do you mean a zinc supplement? Is zinc good for acne?!

Thanks

This is a great moisturizer. AHA is a type of acid that chemically exfoliates the surface of the skin, which causes the skin to renew so that pores aren't as likely to clog. Yes, a zinc supplement. 3050 mg/day is ideal. Don't take more than 50 mg/day, and be sure to take it w/ food. Studies show it helps about 40% with acne symptoms.

Hi! CP's recommendations are usually spot on. I also like Cerave PM moisturizing lotion. It absorbs really well, it's not greasy at all and it has ceramides which are good for your skin's Ph.

Just a warning regarding Zinc though, taking it for extended periods of time can cause copper depletion which can lead to some pretty scary symptoms if left untreated. You may consider taking a copper supplement in conjunction with the zinc. Also, Zinc can cause some pretty serious nausea for some people, even when taken with food.

MemberMember
(@ezfreezy)

Posted : 08/19/2015 8:10 pm

I would be very careful about consulting a general practitioner for dermatological advice. This is coming from a wealth of experience.

I'm not saying you shouldn't trust your doctor, but in my experience, they are very quick to prescribe oral antibiotics. In my naive, trial-and-error approach to treating my mild acne, I've taken two courses of oral antibiotics administered by two different GPs - one 30 mg doxycycline and the other 100 mg of minocycline.

The pills did clear up my mild acne, but I had a lot of negative side effects that definitely didn't offset the negative effects of acne. Some side effects included heartburn, alcohol intolerance, and nausea to name a few.

However, I found that antibiotics applied topically produced virtually the same results without any of the side effects. Topically, the medicine can be targeted more effectively, rather than digesting it and distributing the drug universally.

Also, I've used the Acne.org BPO (2.5%) that worked just as well as Benzagel-5 BPO cream (5%). BPO may work well enough for you on its own if you follow a strict regimen. (See The Regimen as outlined in this site)

Basically, my point is that you should never follow a GP, or virtually anyone, blindly. Do your own research and be diligent about finding the unbiased pros and cons of every treatment. I cannot judge the severity of your acne, but I would urge you to find an alternative treatment as my own experience and research has shown that oral antibiotics are really not designed for long-term acne suppression. The risks outweigh the rewards in my opinion, but you should become informed enough to make the decision yourself.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/29/2015 5:53 pm

I also like Cerave PM moisturizing lotion. It absorbs really well, it's not greasy at all and it has ceramides which are good for your skin's Ph.

I'm persuaded to try CeraVe PM Moisturizer. Based on everything that I've read, it seems better than the regular Moisturizing Lotion. How dry is your skin?

Currently my skin is moderately dry (although I do get oil slicks on particularly humid days), but I will say that I used Cerave PM before accutane (when my skin was primarily oily) and I had the same benefits- I just used less than I use now. While I was on accutane, I had to layer the Cerave with stronger moisturizers when my skin started to REALLY dry out (especially in the winter time). Now, I use about 1 1/2 pumps for my face and neck, and I wake up with soft (but not greasy) skin.