Notifications
Clear all

20 Mg/d For 15 Months Vs. 40 Mg/d For 7.5 Months

MemberMember
(@grelacio)

Posted : 08/10/2015 10:35 pm

Hi there,

Visited a dermatologist last Friday and she suggested Accutane mainly because I'm old (23) and minocyclin didn't work with me. Since my acne is not that bad (only recalcitrant, not quistic) she suggested a regime of Accutane of 20 mg/d for 15 months.

Fast forward to today -- visited a second derma because I wasn't 100% sure about using isotretinoin. He suggested --exactly Accutane again due to the same reasons I exposed before. However he elaborated an 8 month plan: 20 mg/d during the first month and 40 mg/d for 7 months.

Which option do you think it's better? I'm slightly worried about dragging the treatment for so long, but then again, I'm not sure if a low-dose is always preferable to a higher one.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@danieg444)

Posted : 08/11/2015 6:51 am

I may be starting accutane also (I know it has a new name now but this is easy to spell lol). While I havent been on it yet I have heard that if you start low it can lessen the side effects. Which makes sense if you think about it. The harder you are on your body with 40mg the more it may cause cause other problems. HOWEVER this is only that I read. I would also think since your isnt sever you may be better off with the lower end. I just wanted to put my two cents in because thats ateast what I am interested in trying. I also found that constantly switching derms only made me more confused on making a decision. Find one that you trust and stick with them. Otherwise you are going to play the woulda, coulda, shoulda, game.

Goodluck with everything! I also have tried antibiotics. Just about done them also.

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 08/12/2015 5:26 am

Its based off cumulative dose so both should get your too the same spot. Its a choice of possibly of worse side effects for a shorter period of time, or less side side effects for a longer period of time. 40mg seems to be a more traditional dose, you will probably notice improvement quicker as well.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/14/2015 8:17 am

The higher the dosage, the better chance you have of it working long term. If you're doing it at all, go in, go hard and get it over with.