Notifications
Clear all

Gluten And Lactose Free Diet Seems To Be Working!

MemberMember
(@medstudent2015)

Posted : 08/07/2015 4:59 pm

So I have been trying the whole no gluten and dairy thing to see if it helps with the clarity of my skin. Much to my excitement, it seems to be working! I tried to keep all other variables constant (same facial cleansing routine, same oral meds, same water intake, same exercise schedule, ect.) My old pimples are drying up and no new ones are forming. It's only been a week, but it's a good start.

Contrary to popular opinion, I refuse to believe that diet and acne unrelated. Every system in the body is connected, this includes the digestive system and skin. I think the reason this theory keeps getting shut down as a myth is because every body is different and reacts to substances/chemicals differently, making it hard to conduct a study with statistical significance regarding the link between diet and acne.

Disclaimer: The reason I think the no gluten/dairy thing is working for me is because I have always had food sensitivities. What works for me might not work for you, but I thought I would share my progress in case there is anyone out there is curious about the link between diet and acne.

MemberMember
(@travcf)

Posted : 08/10/2015 6:57 pm

I am strongly considering this diet. I have been having really bad cystic acne lately and am ready for a major lifestyle change. Please keep me informed.

MemberMember
(@ripvanwinkle)

Posted : 08/11/2015 10:31 am

People also generally don't want to believe that acne and diet are connected because people are emotionally connected to their food. They are also addicted. Cutting food out of your life requires a bit of a grieving process and frustration. "How come everyone else can eat junk?!!"

Congrats on the progress. Paleo diet with an emphasis on really avoiding vegetable oil is what cleared me. I also take cod liver oil every day, even in the summer.

Remember vegetable oil doesn't come from vegetables. You'll never see broccoli oil or celery oil. Avoid canola, safflower, sunflower, soybean, cottonseed, and corn oils. Marketing gimmicks!

MemberMember
(@ripvanwinkle)

Posted : 08/11/2015 3:17 pm

People also generally don't want to believe that acne and diet are connected because people are emotionally connected to their food. They are also addicted. Cutting food out of your life requires a bit of a grieving process and frustration. "How come everyone else can eat junk?!!"

Or maybe, just maybe, they've been living on a healthy diet for YEARS and have been monitoring their food/cutting out foods for YEARS with no effect on their acne.

It's not that I don't believe you. It's that I wonder if you've identified the right food yet. It took me a long time. Have you completely eliminated all grains, dairy, and vegetable oils? I have to be extremely strict to keep clear.

MemberMember
(@mikkurs)

Posted : 08/11/2015 4:35 pm

Or maybe, just maybe, they've been living on a healthy diet for YEARS and have been monitoring their food/cutting out foods for YEARS with no effect on their acne.

Changes in diet doesn't work for everyone, there's no one cure for acne. But eating healthy and avoiding evil foods like vegetable oils is good for you regardless :) hope you find something that helps.

MemberMember
(@medstudent2015)

Posted : 08/13/2015 9:18 pm

I am strongly considering this diet. I have been having really bad cystic acne lately and am ready for a major lifestyle change. Please keep me informed.

So it's been another week and my skin is even more clear! I'm not going to lie, sometimes I cheat and eat a little gluten, but I have been very strict with the no dairy! I think that's helping my skin the most. I have also increased my veggie intake and am drinking more herbal tea.

If you interested in learning more about diet and acne check out Essena O'neil on youtube. She had cystic acne and cured it with a vegan diet. I was skeptical at first but it makes sense. Cystic acne is usually caused my an imbalance of hormones and a lot of animal products have hormones in them. My plan is to eventually go full vegan, but I like meat too much so I am taking baby steps. :)

Hope this helps! Let me know if me know if you get and success with this diet too!

It's not that I don't believe you. It's that I wonder if you've identified the right food yet. It took me a long time. Have you completely eliminated all grains, dairy, and vegetable oils? I have to be extremely strict to keep clear.

I had a really healthy diet before eliminating the gluten and dairy. If I were to pick a popular fad diet out there right now I would say it's closest to the whole foods diet. I don't eat anything processed for the most part and cut out vegetable oil a long time ago. I cook exclusively with olive oil. I do sometimes cheat and have little gluten in the form of a whole wheat English muffin or something but that's about it. No white flour or anything overly processed.

This is possible too! Acne is a symptom, not a disease. It can be caused by a number of different things going wrong in the body. Diet may have nothing to do with it for some people. Curing acne is all about finding what works for you.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 08/14/2015 2:38 am

I wasn't gonna comment, but screw it.

I cleared my severe acne by finding out what foods were triggering my acne. Most people with severe acne aren't likely to clear on any one else's diet. They would have to do a food elimination diet to figure out what foods do it to ya. Different foods trigger different people's acne, so it's probably not going to clear on someone else's diet.

For ex: Grapes, apples, cabbage, Cheese, Soy, Yeast, Cornbread and much, much more triggered my acne. Too many grains tear down my gut, leaving me more prone to acne.

Glad this worked for you.

P.S.

I wasn't attacking you. I was just saying this so all the new jacks know that it's not always about choosing a diet.

MemberMember
(@medstudent2015)

Posted : 08/14/2015 8:35 am

I wasn't gonna comment, but screw it.

I cleared my severe acne by finding out what foods were triggering my acne. Most people with severe acne aren't likely to clear on any one else's diet. They would have to do a food elimination diet to figure out what foods do it to ya. Different foods trigger different people's acne, so it's probably not going to clear on someone else's diet.

For ex: Grapes, apples, cabbage, Cheese, Soy, Yeast, Cornbread and much, much more triggered my acne. Too many grains tear down my gut, leaving me more prone to acne.

Glad this worked for you.

P.S.

I wasn't attacking you. I was just saying this so all the new jacks know that it's not always about choosing a diet.

Thanks and I completely agree with you. Diet changes don't work for everyone. I'm glad that you found what works for you though!

MemberMember
(@medstudent2015)

Posted : 08/14/2015 8:57 am

So it's been another week and my skin is even more clear! I'm not going to lie, sometimes I cheat and eat a little gluten, but I have been very strict with the no dairy! I think that's helping my skin the most. I have also increased my veggie intake and am drinking more herbal tea.

If you interested in learning more about diet and acne check out Essena O'neil on youtube. She had cystic acne and cured it with a vegan diet. I was skeptical at first but it makes sense. Cystic acne is usually caused my an imbalance of hormones and a lot of animal products have hormones in them. My plan is to eventually go full vegan, but I like meat too much so I am taking baby steps. :)

Hope this helps! Let me know if me know if you get and success with this diet too!

>>>

I had a really healthy diet before eliminating the gluten and dairy. If I were to pick a popular fad diet out there right now I would say it's closest to the whole foods diet. I don't eat anything processed for the most part and cut out vegetable oil a long time ago. I cook exclusively with olive oil. I do sometimes cheat and have little gluten in the form of a whole wheat English muffin or something but that's about it. No white flour or anything overly processed.

This is possible too! Acne is a symptom, not a disease. It can be caused by a number of different things going wrong in the body. Diet may have nothing to do with it for some people. Curing acne is all about finding what works for you.

Actually acne is classified as a skin disease to people that have medical backgrounds.

Go ahead and tell me that a severe form of acne like acne conglobata is caused by just a diet or by giving some vague response by saying it's a "symptom of something" to the people who are suffering from it. And also tell me that it's not a skin disease.

The point of me saying that acne is a symptom, not a disease, was not to discredit anyone with severe acne. When my acne was as its worse, it WAS severe.

Furthermore, I have experience in the medical field and that is my opinion based on what I know about acne firsthand and and the literature I have read. There is research out there that suggests that some forms of acne, like acne vulgaris, a more common form of acne, ARE in fact a symptom of something else.

Here is a link to an article posted by the Nation Institute of Health.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367783/pdf/brmedj07319-0013.pdf

Excerpt: "It does, however, already seem clear that in acne we are dealing with a condition which cannot be regarded as a local disease of the skin with a single aetiological factor. It is an expression in the skin of malfunction elsewhere manifested by certain groups of susceptible individuals."

And in regards to acne conglobata, medscape says the following:

"The simultaneous presence of pyoderma gangrenosum, acne conglobata, suppurative hidradenitis, and seronegative spondyloarthritis has been suggested as a new linkage with the designation being PASS syndrome.[3] Acne conglobata may also be associated with the SAPHO syndrome, which consists of synovitis, acne conglobata, pustulosis, hyperostosis, and osteitis. SAPHO syndrome is characterized by distinctive osteoarticular manifestations and a spectrum of neutrophilic dermatoses, including palmoplantar pustulosis.[4]"

Even this more severe form of acne seems to be a symptom of other ailments.

I could link to more articles defending my position, but my point of making this post was not to argue about what constitutes a disease. The point of this post was to share something that worked for me with other people open to the idea of changing their diets to cure their acne. You are entitled to your own opinion and by no means have to agree with me, but there is no reason why you need to be negative or hostile.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@ripvanwinkle)

Posted : 08/14/2015 9:30 am

I just don't believe acne occurs in "healthy" individuals. If you have acne, you are doing something wrong. Acne is absent in isolated, primitive societies. What is the greatest difference between them and us? Probably food. Do they get more sun and physical activity and face to face socializing? Yes, yes, and yes. However, I think we can only mimic them as best as possible. We aren't all going to start working outdoors or go back to living in tribal mud huts around a campfire. We can, however, try to eat only foods that exist in nature. That is the basis of my reasoning to avoid most modern, western food.

Has anyone ever read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price? He discovered a lack of disease in isolated people around the world. It doesn't mention much in the way of acne since he focused on dental problems but I think the principle is probably the same.

To think we can go from hunting/gathering to agrarian...to go from unprocessed wild food to factory served...I think it's silly to think we won't suffer consequences. To treat this skin condition with medicine is missing the point. We need to back up and re-examine where this disease is really stemming from. I don't think it's a lack of Benzoyl Peroxide, or the addition of one food.

We have diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease absolutely rampant in every society that considers itself "advanced". I think acne is related to this. Do poor, third world people get these diseases? Yes, but they are in no way isolated and living on their traditional diets. Let's further examine people who are.

MemberMember
(@medstudent2015)

Posted : 08/14/2015 3:14 pm

I just don't believe acne occurs in "healthy" individuals. If you have acne, you are doing something wrong. Acne is absent in isolated, primitive societies. What is the greatest difference between them and us? Probably food. Do they get more sun and physical activity and face to face socializing? Yes, yes, and yes. However, I think we can only mimic them as best as possible. We aren't all going to start working outdoors or go back to living in tribal mud huts around a campfire. We can, however, try to eat only foods that exist in nature. That is the basis of my reasoning to avoid most modern, western food.

Has anyone ever read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price? He discovered a lack of disease in isolated people around the world. It doesn't mention much in the way of acne since he focused on dental problems but I think the principle is probably the same.

To think we can go from hunting/gathering to agrarian...to go from unprocessed wild food to factory served...I think it's silly to think we won't suffer consequences. To treat this skin condition with medicine is missing the point. We need to back up and re-examine where this disease is really stemming from. I don't think it's a lack of Benzoyl Peroxide, or the addition of one food.

We have diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease absolutely rampant in every society that considers itself "advanced". I think acne is related to this. Do poor, third world people get these diseases? Yes, but they are in no way isolated and living on their traditional diets. Let's further examine people who are.

This is spot on with my approach to health in general. I think avoiding processed foods is paramount to skin clarity and overall well-being.

MemberMember
(@fvckacne)

Posted : 08/14/2015 4:40 pm

Sigh.

MemberMember
(@medstudent2015)

Posted : 08/16/2015 5:23 pm

If all this is true then why hasn't it worked for my acne? How do you know that people in isolated tribes don't have acne, because one guy who was visiting there wrote a book saying it? I can go to my local mall and see no people with acne, does that mean that no Americans have acne either?

Also, lol at anyone that thinks that people in primitive tribes somehow live better than everyone else and have some secret. I've read up on many of them and they have diseases and suffer from violence, murder and other problems like other societies, except they don't have any decent technology. I always think it's funny when privileged western peple think that there's these secret primitive third world socities where everything is perfect when they wouldn't be able to last living that way for more than a day.

"Much of "holistic dentistry" is rooted in the activities of Weston A. Price, D.D.S. (1870-1948), a dentist who maintained that sugar causes not only tooth decay but physical, mental, moral, and social decay as well. Price made a whirlwind tour of primitive areas, examined the natives superficially, and jumped to simplistic conclusions. While extolling their health, he ignored their short life expectancy and high rates of infant mortality, endemic diseases, and malnutrition. While praising their diets for not producing cavities, he ignored the fact that malnourished people don't usually get many cavities."

Like I said earlier, the root cause of acne is highly variable among acne sufferers. If you have changed your diet and aren't seeing the results you want, then it is very likely that something else is causing your acne. However, even if having a clean diet doesn't completely cure your acne, it's not like it's going to make it worse. In fact, it may even help clear you up a little.

I'm not saying this to attack you or belittle your opinions. We have all been frustrated and upset because of our skin, which is why we are all on this forum. There is research out there both supporting and disproving the link between diet and acne. I think we can all agree that more research needs to be done so that we can all get the answers we are searching for.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 08/16/2015 8:03 pm

If all this is true then why hasn't it worked for my acne? How do you know that people in isolated tribes don't have acne, because one guy who was visiting there wrote a book saying it? I can go to my local mall and see no people with acne, does that mean that no Americans have acne either?

Also, lol at anyone that thinks that people in primitive tribes somehow live better than everyone else and have some secret. I've read up on many of them and they have diseases and suffer from violence, murder and other problems like other societies, except they don't have any decent technology. I always think it's funny when privileged western peple think that there's these secret primitive third world socities where everything is perfect when they wouldn't be able to last living that way for more than a day.

"Much of "holistic dentistry" is rooted in the activities of Weston A. Price, D.D.S. (1870-1948), a dentist who maintained that sugar causes not only tooth decay but physical, mental, moral, and social decay as well. Price made a whirlwind tour of primitive areas, examined the natives superficially, and jumped to simplistic conclusions. While extolling their health, he ignored their short life expectancy and high rates of infant mortality, endemic diseases, and malnutrition. While praising their diets for not producing cavities, he ignored the fact that malnourished people don't usually get many cavities."

Primitive tribes have better lives in some regards, and worse lives in others. I don't think anyone is making the claim that an entirely primitive way of living is superior; however, we can still take bits and pieces of primitive lifestyles that are beneficial, while leaving the parts that are detrimental. For example, we can eat a whole-foods paleo-style diet, while becoming vaccinated against disease. The basis for this is the idea that a total departure from the environment and lifestyle that we evolved with generally results in the deterioration of health, but there are always negative pressures (as parts of those environments) that can be alleviated.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 08/17/2015 3:52 pm

Yes, this works.

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 08/18/2015 1:21 am

I am slowly cutting gluten out of my diet hoping it helps, as I am on my fourth round of accutane at age 36 almost 37. Accutane always did wonders but never had any staying power. I actually asked my doctor if I could get a gluten intolerance test and she asked me if I had certain symptoms of celiac disease. I only have one, but told her I know there is no medical evidence connecting acne and gluten, but at 36 years old still suffering from acne,bacne, and oily skin I thought it couldn't hurt to be tested as I have read just because you don't have celiac disease doesn't mean you can't have a gluten intolerance and there are different levels of gluten intolerance. I thought for sure the doctor was gonna say no to the test and think I am crazy, but she said it doesn't hurt to see. That being said as mentioned by original poster I do believe every body has a different reaction and different body and chemical makeup for how their body responds to acne meds, products, food, exercise, and or lack their of. What works for one person may not work for another. I have several family members who are severely over weight and eat horribly, but they have the most amazing skin that is poreless and porcelain like almost photoshopped looking skin but in real life. So clearly for them diet has zero affect on their skin. I just wonder why some people who are obese can have the most amazing skin from eating so horribly, but others are super sensitive to foods and changing their diet makes a huge difference. Im so tired of having acne reaching almost 40. Since I was 18 I have always exercised, and ate healthy and saw no change in my skin. I really hope eventually being completely gluten free and the combo of accutane will make some kind of lasting difference. I am so tired of being an old adult with teenager skin. I should be worried about wrinkles not zit cream.

MemberMember
(@medstudent2015)

Posted : 08/18/2015 1:48 pm

I am slowly cutting gluten out of my diet hoping it helps, as I am on my fourth round of accutane at age 36 almost 37. Accutane always did wonders but never had any staying power. I actually asked my doctor if I could get a gluten intolerance test and she asked me if I had certain symptoms of celiac disease. I only have one, but told her I know there is no medical evidence connecting acne and gluten, but at 36 years old still suffering from acne,bacne, and oily skin I thought it couldn't hurt to be tested as I have read just because you don't have celiac disease doesn't mean you can't have a gluten intolerance and there are different levels of gluten intolerance. I thought for sure the doctor was gonna say no to the test and think I am crazy, but she said it doesn't hurt to see. That being said as mentioned by original poster I do believe every body has a different reaction and different body and chemical makeup for how their body responds to acne meds, products, food, exercise, and or lack their of. What works for one person may not work for another. I have several family members who are severely over weight and eat horribly, but they have the most amazing skin that is poreless and porcelain like almost photoshopped looking skin but in real life. So clearly for them diet has zero affect on their skin. I just wonder why some people who are obese can have the most amazing skin from eating so horribly, but others are super sensitive to foods and changing their diet makes a huge difference. Im so tired of having acne reaching almost 40. Since I was 18 I have always exercised, and ate healthy and saw no change in my skin. I really hope eventually being completely gluten free and the combo of accutane will make some kind of lasting difference. I am so tired of being an old adult with teenager skin. I should be worried about wrinkles not zit cream.

Good luck! I hope you find the clarity you have been searching for. :)