Notifications
Clear all

Epiduo + Salicylic Acid?

MemberMember
(@angelala)

Posted : 08/07/2015 6:35 am

So I've been using Epiduo for 7 weeks in total. In those 7 weeks, I haven't moisturized the first 5 weeks. I started using Nature Republic's Bee Venom Emulsion/Moisturizer which is supposed to help acne prone skin for 2 weeks already. These are the moisturizer's main ingredients:

Bee venom complex 73%, Salicylic Acid, Calamine powder, Alps glacier (MD201), Mistletoe extract, Camellia extract

My skin has cleared probably 30% since I started using Epiduo. I still get breakouts every week, maybe 1-3 small whiteheads and sometimes I get pimples under the skin. My question is that, is it okay to use Epiduo and Salicylic acid together? I'm scared that it might cancel out the effect of the Epiduo. So far, my skin has improved because it stopped peeling since I started applying moisturizer, but I still break out from time to time.

MemberMember
(@mels23)

Posted : 08/08/2015 3:57 pm

It isn't normally recommended to use Salicylic Acid when using Epiduo. I used Epiduo for about 2-3 years, and one day I picked up this Neutrogena cleanser with salicylic acid. Immediately after cleansing my skin started burning. The next day the skin on my chin was peeling and really red. I got to ask my derm about it and she was the one that said I shouldn't use salicylic acid anymore.

I'm guessing you haven't had any adverse reactions, being as you've been using them for 2 weeks. What's the percentage of salicylic acid? The one that irritated me was 2%.

I would just suggest you be very careful. If your skin starts becoming sensitive you should stop immediately.

MemberMember
(@angelala)

Posted : 08/10/2015 6:57 am

Do you think it's okay to still use the moisturizer during the day when I don't put on Epiduo?

MemberMember
(@mels23)

Posted : 08/17/2015 2:32 pm

I wouldn't recommend it, because it's not just that Epiduo can mix with the ingredients and be irritating, it's that Epiduo is making your skin more sensitive to the ingredients (that's how I see it at least). Before I would go to the dermatologist to get a chemical peel they would tell me to not use Epiduo for a few days before and after my appointment, because it would make my skin too sensitive. Of course they would probably tell you to stay clear from any topicals, but my point is that they make your skin sensitive, so it's not good to use too many at the same time. Like I said it really depends on the percentage of Salicylic Acid too. And unfortunately I have no knowledge of bee venom and how that might be irritating as well.

MemberMember
(@angelala)

Posted : 08/18/2015 7:54 am

Thanks for the advice. I changed my routine and only use the moisturizer during the day, and Epiduo at night. I haven't broken out/gotten a pimple or got irritated/dry skin since I've been doing that.