Notifications
Clear all

Is Low Dose Accutane Effective? Mild-Moderate Acne People, What Was Your Dosage?

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/05/2015 5:53 am

Hi everyone, looking for low dose Accutane success stories? I'm hoping to try 20-30 mg because I already have dry eyes, hair loss and anxiety and I reckon high dose would be asking for trouble.

Also, my friend who is a boxer has acne pretty bad, and he was wondering whether getting a few bruises sometimes would be a no-go on Accutane? x

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/05/2015 7:27 am

I don't know about the low dose thing! I have seen people on here say they've been successful with low doses but I don't know for how long.

I saw somewhere to avoid contact sports. I haven't seen anything regarding bruises, but you do cut more easily, so I could see punches tearing the skin. I fell to my knees gently in sand and got some small cuts. It didn't even hurt.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/07/2015 4:30 am

did Accutane cure you? what was your dosage x

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/07/2015 8:15 am

I'm 63 kg and I'm on my first month, so I can't give it much of a review. I'll be going to 60 mg next month so it's not much a low dose either.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/07/2015 10:29 am

any side effects? x

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/07/2015 5:34 pm

Low dose can slow down the side effects. I think the cumulative dose is what ultimately matters. Accutane is by no means a cure for most but it can put your acne in remission for a bit.

MemberMember
(@xiang5796)

Posted : 08/07/2015 10:45 pm

Just started taking Accutane yesterday for oily skin, blackheads and occasional painful zits, 10mg every day. The dose was what my derm wanted to put on a long time ago, but I refused to do that back them because all the horror stories about this medicine, but the situation is getting worse recently, so I just though enough is enough and started taking them

And no side effects so far.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/08/2015 7:12 am

goodluck xiang would you be able to keep me updated, or start up a log we could tune in to :) woul be interesting.

and leelowe it suprises me that you say that, according to 80 percent of reviews ive read Accutane pretty much puts an end to major acne, just with often horrible effects :/ x

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/08/2015 8:16 am

goodluck xiang would you be able to keep me updated, or start up a log we could tune in to :) woul be interesting.

and leelowe it suprises me that you say that, according to 80 percent of reviews ive read Accutane pretty much puts an end to major acne, just with often horrible effects :/ x

I highly doubt those numbers. The relapse rate in women is higher due to the various hormonal changes we go through. Acne may not come back as bad though.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/08/2015 9:04 am

oh for the love of god, so we put ourselves through this, possibly screwing our whole lives up in the process and then it wont even solve the problem? Jees..

The reviews don't seem to suggest that though :s

MemberMember
(@rittdk01)

Posted : 08/08/2015 9:35 am

It kept me 100% acne and oil free for 7 or 8 years. the only people that come on these sites r honestly the ones that meds didn't work for. I didn't even think about any of this stuff til I started break out again last year.

I am 145 lb male that took (I think this was like 9 or 10 yrs ago) 40 mg first two months and 60 the other three. I also took vitamin a that the derm prescribed.

side effects: Dry skin on body. use aveeno moisturizer on body after getting out of the shower

Dry face. Started using face moisturizer and washing with only water. So easy to not deal with all the washing and creams.

Dry lips. Used aquaphor. Not a big deal.

Stomach issues. Irritable bowel I guess u would say. Lingered for three years after accutane. People with acne r more prone to ibs than the general population, whether they used accutane or not. Antibiotics r also really bad on stomachs and most people on tane got there after months or years of antibiotic use. I changed my diet to cater to my bowel needs and I got over it.

I'm curious about the low dose accutane too. Derm wouldnt prescribe me accutane so currently on antibiotics and Ziana. I am 33 and really would like to put this all back in the past. No more creams and pills and b able to eat whatever I want again.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/08/2015 9:59 am

I feel ya man. I'm yearning to be free too. Why wont they prescribe it?

I had IBS for 6 years very bad until I mysteriously got over it aged about 19. Bit scared of it coming back, even more scared about hair loss, vision problems, nasal problems, psychiatric and bone problems!!

MemberMember
(@rittdk01)

Posted : 08/08/2015 3:47 pm

I feel ya man. I'm yearning to be free too. Why wont they prescribe it?

I had IBS for 6 years very bad until I mysteriously got over it aged about 19. Bit scared of it coming back, even more scared about hair loss, vision problems, nasal problems, psychiatric and bone problems!!

My acne would be considered mild, but I scar real easy so ANY zit is a big deal. Alsowant to have lower oil again and not have to use blotting papers every few hours. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky and it will go away : ) I am 33 so I don't see that happening.

When I went on accutane I was pretty nervous. My doc told me he hadn't seen any serious side effects from his yrs prescribing itand that he had put his kids on it.

If u have severe acne or r getting scars u should go on it. They check u once a month and will pull u off if u have problems or severe side effects.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/09/2015 10:32 am

any side effects? x

I have dry lips and my skin is really itchy and a bit dry. I got one sore joint on a couple of occasions. So far, it's been limited to one joint at a time. Haha!

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/09/2015 3:31 pm

whats been your dose thus far fudge?

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/11/2015 7:58 am

whats been your dose thus far fudge?

40mg this month (my first month) and I'm supposed to be going to 60 for next month.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/11/2015 7:20 pm

Have you had an initial breakout x

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 08/12/2015 5:09 am

I would avoid boxing any harder than light sparring. I have been bruising super easy. It doesn't hurt and they come out of nowhere. I was lifting and walking with 400 pounds yesterday and just the traction on my arms has given me tons of bloodspots on my shoulders and chest.

MemberMember
(@merch)

Posted : 08/13/2015 5:00 am

6 years ago i had moderately severe acne , the derm gave me 20mg accutane with clindamycin. Man the initial breakout was really bad my blackheads turned to cystic acne which only dissapered after 3 months. But after 6 months was completely clear and didnt even have a single acne even any blackhead and i stop using any medication since then just a mild cleanser. Well,to be short the acne came back after 9 months. I went for 2nd course of 20mg,this time it only took me 3 months to get clear. Well the same outcome happened,i got the acne back after several months. After several research,now only i know that i should use topical retinoid after finishing the low dose accutane to maintain the clear skin. And yes now im on my week 2 of 20mh accutane,this time i went to different derm and he prescribed me differin and clindamycin along the accutane

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/13/2015 5:25 pm

after Accutane it would be fine though? its really important to him

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/15/2015 8:07 am

after Accutane it would be fine though? its really important to him

Yes, his skin should absolutely be fine for boxing after Accutane! Some say their skin stayed dry, but it's being on the drug itself that makes your cells turnover quickly, hence the easy injury. That goes away.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/15/2015 8:24 am

thanks dude :)

MemberMember
(@badabingbadaboom)

Posted : 08/15/2015 9:30 am

oh for the love of god, so we put ourselves through this, possibly screwing our whole lives up in the process and then it wont even solve the problem? Jees..

The reviews don't seem to suggest that though :s

I wouldn't mind too much about all the people writing about how you'll eventually relapse, people who got permanent relief from Accutane probably don't lurk around here anymore, which gives the illusion that Accutane doesn't really work after all. From what I've read and from what my derm said, it clears up 95%, 60-80% permanently, and 35-20% relapse, but usually not nearly as bad. Of course the numbers may vary, probably not a lot though. This is just what I've discovered, I'd recommend doing a lot of research yourself too.

It's all so individual that it's impossible to tell if you'll relapse or not. Depends on your genetics, diet, possible vitamin deficiencies etc. Me, for example it's most likely genetic, since my dad and all his brothers have had fairly bad acne and only Accutane helped. Also, my skin's never been oily, so it's also most likely problem with keratinization. I may be wrong too, go figure