F*ck Picking And Ho...

Notifications
Clear all

F*ck Picking And Hormonal Acne

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/03/2015 6:58 pm

Okay, so i've struggled with mild acne for about a year now and it fucking sucks. It's concentrated primarily on my forehead. I've narrowed the cause down to diet, hormones, and picking. I can't fucking stop picking my face and making things so much fucking worse than they need to be. My diet sucks and everytime I get my period i break out, pick at it, and shit goes awry.

SO basically, this is the post where I will updating my struggle and hopefully I can clear it up. I honestly think I have an infection in my face from all the picking I've done for a year now.

Anyone have any tips to stop picking?

My diet is actually not bad just the stupid ice cream sugar and dairy lol

ok, well first post:

My forehead is not good. I'm breaking out around my nose. It wasn't bad yesterday until I picked at my face until it was all red last night. I bet it would have looked better if I wouldn't have done that

I put some tea tree oil on it so hopefully it stops. when i pick at it (sorry to be graphic) but only like this clear oily stuff comes out not the normal white stuff. why is that?

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@snappypop)

Posted : 08/03/2015 7:29 pm

I know this is kind of ridiculous, but wear gloves around the house. It will train you not to over time.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 08/03/2015 7:52 pm

I actually JUST went through this (over-picked which led to an infection)... My N.D. and I believe I had a case of folliculitis. I suggest getting some topical clindamycin... any doctor can prescribe it (you don't need a derm basically to prescribe this medication). It cleared up these fluid bumps in about 5 days. I also used Orgins Charcoal Masque and the Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic masque (my fav. product in the world).

I beg you to stop eating dairy...! First off, it's terrible for you and second it's horrible for acne. If you need an ice cream fix try making Nice Cream: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414 and you can add just about any flavors you want to it... chocolate, vanilla, fresh fruit, whatever... ! Use http://www.amazon.com/SweetLeaf-SteviaClear-Liquid-4-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001E5E3JY instead of sugar to sweeten things up.

If you can't get clindamycin, you'll want to get something with SA or BP, or continue with the tea tree oil. Also, aim for 100 ounces of water a day. This will help flush out the infection.

Stay positive and know that you are not alone in your fight!

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 08/03/2015 7:55 pm

I hear you. I seem to break out a bit around my period too. I hadn't picked at face for a while and caved in last night in bathroom on cheek. I have been *very* stressed these days, so I wsn't surprised but felt so sad. Managed to create a tiny, shallow but noticeable enough scar that bothers me. So Today, I did the risky thing that I've tried in the past to deal with shallow scars =go to town on them. I sanded it down. I would not recommend to anyone, but it's worked for me in the past. Alas such is the life of a pickerrrr. I kept trying to remember to cut nails but never manage to at least lessen the damage.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/03/2015 10:32 pm

To stop picking you need to, in a sense, stop caring about your face so much. Stop looking in the mirror and zooming into those spots you see forming, or even the tiny comedones that were never going to turn into a full pimple anyway. Chances are you'll get overly compulsive and start picking on spots that are barely even there.

Take a step away from the mirror, and let your skin heal. Heres a fact, picking can cause more acne. Not only that, but spots you pick on tend to leave a longer lasting mark than if you were to leave it alone and just run its course.

Also, to the person who sanded her skin, wtf are you doing lol. You aren't a dermatologist, and sand paper isn't the right material to be used on your face. I only see more long term damage done as a result of sanding your skin.

SkyeDavis liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 08/04/2015 4:03 pm

If you are dealing with anxiety I suggest getting help with that -- I too have bad anxiety which leads to what I call "self-harm" in the form of picking... In my signature you'll see the supplements I use to deal with anxiety (they were prescribed by my Naturopath, but they can be purchased online and you don't need a rx)... They have helped me and I just recently started them (last week)... Haven't picked in over a week!

<3

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/04/2015 4:45 pm

Okay, so i've struggled with mild acne for about a year now and it fucking sucks. It's concentrated primarily on my forehead. I've narrowed the cause down to diet, hormones, and picking. I can't fucking stop picking my face and making things so much fucking worse than they need to be. My diet sucks and everytime I get my period i break out, pick at it, and shit goes awry.

SO basically, this is the post where I will updating my struggle and hopefully I can clear it up. I honestly think I have an infection in my face from all the picking I've done for a year now.

ok, well first post:

My forehead is not good. I'm breaking out around my nose. It wasn't bad yesterday until I picked at my face until it was all red last night. I bet it would have looked better if I wouldn't have done that

I put some tea tree oil on it so hopefully it stops. when i pick at it (sorry to be graphic) but only like this clear oily stuff comes out not the normal white stuff. why is that?

Hi! I think this topic might be better suited for the "Skin Picking" forum, but I see you also mentioned hormonal acne. I'd like to move it to one or the other. Do you have a preference as the OP?

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/05/2015 2:02 am

ok, well first post:

Hi! I think this topic might be better suited for the "Skin Picking" forum, but I see you also mentioned hormonal acne. I'd like to move it to one or the other. Do you have a preference as the OP?

I think skin picking :) thanks for helping!

Honestly, all of your suggestions have helped with my overall mentality. Antonthegreat, you make a great point. Just stop caring and hyper focusing. I haven't looked in the mirror all day and especially after the shower or before, I would sit in front of the mirror and pick. Just feel around for little bumps which was so ridiculous. I see my pimples on my forehead that scabbed over from me picking are going away, but there are new ones under the skin (slightly red). I have decided I will not pick them :)! Thanks everyone for all the help!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/05/2015 12:02 pm

*MOD EDIT*

Topic moved to Skin Picking forum

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/05/2015 8:15 pm

ok, well first post:

I think skin picking :) thanks for helping!

Honestly, all of your suggestions have helped with my overall mentality. Antonthegreat, you make a great point. Just stop caring and hyper focusing. I haven't looked in the mirror all day and especially after the shower or before, I would sit in front of the mirror and pick. Just feel around for little bumps which was so ridiculous. I see my pimples on my forehead that scabbed over from me picking are going away, but there are new ones under the skin (slightly red). I have decided I will not pick them :)! Thanks everyone for all the help!

No problem! Also, you'll notice a reduction in acne and your face will start to look better literally a week after.

MemberMember
(@glb2130)

Posted : 08/06/2015 9:50 am

the best solution to avoid picking is to just AVOID THE MIRROR. i used to have a mirror in my bathroom that when the light would shine in from my window, and i looked in the mirror, it made my skin look TERRIBLE. you know what i did? i took the mirror down. no mirror. no more picking.

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/07/2015 11:31 pm

so update:

I'm going to admit, I have picked. Moreso at the dry skin/leftover scabs but I also popped a pimple that wasn't quite a whitehead on my forehead. Now, it looks infected so i put some infection cream on it and hopefully that goes down. Besides that, the scabs are going away and the dry skin looks a little bit better. I have a what feels ginormous pimple starting under the skin. I really don't want to squeeze at it because I know that will NOT help. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I let a pimple like that completely alone and just let it heal on its own. I've always popped it then it would scab. So, maybe this time I can actually se what will happen.... wish me luck!

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/08/2015 1:37 pm

update again:

woke up with two giant scabs in the middle of my forehead. k so I'm finally at the point where I'm completely done with this whole stupid ass picking thing. its not worth it, it takes up my entire day thinking about it. it's such a stupid habit. finally, i think i am going to stop. anyone have any tips for scabs?

MemberMember
(@glb2130)

Posted : 08/08/2015 3:59 pm

update again:

woke up with two giant scabs in the middle of my forehead. k so I'm finally at the point where I'm completely done with this whole stupid ass picking thing. its not worth it, it takes up my entire day thinking about it. it's such a stupid habit. finally, i think i am going to stop. anyone have any tips for scabs?

neosporin on a scab helps it heal,

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/08/2015 7:48 pm

update again:

wait them out. Scabs rarely form if you don't pop.

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/11/2015 10:12 pm

UPDATE: so my scab finally fell off THANK GOD! but i could feel all these festering pimples under my skin... the ones you can't see unless in a certain light. i decided to completely leave them alone and just go to bed --> not putting anything on them and just let sleep do the trick. i woke up with a pleasant surprise!! my skin's inflammation went down A LOT. Again, that night I felt my face kind of swell, continued to leave it alone and i put Lush's Magnaminty mask on and left my skin alone again. i also enjoyed a veggie juice which i feel always helps :) so basically waiting to see these under-the-skin pimples to go away and see what happens! its hard but its worth it!

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/15/2015 2:16 am

UPDATE:

sooo... my skin is finally (almost) clear! i think what has helped the most has been: juicing & diet, picking, skincare. I have been juicing quite a bit and really have seen a difference. Other than that, my diet has been okay. I still have indulged in a ton of ice cream (an entire pint) which may have something to do with the fact that i have a tiny breakout of smalll flesh colored bumps on my forehead. My picking has gone significantly down and in fact I haven't been picking at all, which has really helped my skin. My skincare has been almost non existent and my face isn't as dried out as when I was using the other products! Just waiting for these sugar breakouts to pass & hopefully I can keep this up! fingers crossed :)

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/15/2015 2:53 pm

UPDATE:

aghhh so i started to breakout above my left eyebrow and picked at one. i have no idea why, such an idiot. anyways, it got like a whitehead ish so i put the lush mask over it and then the mario badescu drying lotion and hopefully it will go down.. urggg. still feel the under-the-skin pimples so also hopefully those go down by themselves lefojawoeifjaowiehaoihrg

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 08/16/2015 2:11 am

To stop picking you need to, in a sense, stop caring about your face so much. Stop looking in the mirror and zooming into those spots you see forming, or even the tiny comedones that were never going to turn into a full pimple anyway. Chances are you'll get overly compulsive and start picking on spots that are barely even there.

Take a step away from the mirror, and let your skin heal. Heres a fact, picking can cause more acne. Not only that, but spots you pick on tend to leave a longer lasting mark than if you were to leave it alone and just run its course.

Also, to the person who sanded her skin, wtf are you doing lol. You aren't a dermatologist, and sand paper isn't the right material to be used on your face. I only see more long term damage done as a result of sanding your skin.

It's not ok to talk to me like that, even if you disagree with what I did. You can express your opinion but you need to keep it respectful on here. And as for the sanding down, it worked for me in the past and skin was fine, and actually worked for me again recently, so I'm happy as it was a very very small, shallow area to treat and didn't need much. I don't recommend to anyone unless they use medical grade sandpaper, some people on here had done it and I took a risk but was conservative and it helped tremendously. I still don't recommend to anyone else who has not done it before.

stopitno, keep up the good work and don't beat yourself up over the recent picking as tempting as it might be to do so. We are all in this together and progress means 1 step forward few steps back, it's ok you'll get there.

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 08/17/2015 10:34 pm

Update:

Alright so right now I'm just dealing with the small flesh colored bumps... Which suck. I popped two on the center of my forehead and I'm hoping those don't turn into something. Other than that, I'm breaking out in white head around my nose & the other forehead flesh colored ones I was talking about earlier. I'm sick with the flu so maybe that's why my skin feels so congested. Will continue to juice & not touch and hopefully that will

Help! (: