Notifications
Clear all

Love Accutane-Hate The Hassle!

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 08/02/2015 10:55 pm

Was on Accutane since March. 40 MG then 80 mg since month 2. Got super results. But I am having so many issues getting the bloodwork, Dr appt, and pharmacy/insurance to sync so my monthly meds will be filled on time. There have been most months where something delayed my meds and I've had to get blood taken twice in a week to get it refilled. Im fed up.

Last month was a mess. First, since the previous month there was another blood drawn twice delay, my insurance wouldnt cover an appointment i made before the delay happened so the two appointments werent a month apart which meased up the timing of prescription so insurance wouldnt cover it. So i had to wait a week and restart the whole process. (Blood test, online quiz, etc)

Then the back up nurse never checked my blood test which then made me get blood drawn again but by then the 7 day prescription by the Dr had expired atv the pharmacy. I was then forced to forget the meds for a month because I went away for a week on vacation and my insurance might not have paid for a 3rd blood test on a month.

My last pill was on July 10th. Almost a month later without meds. I have one cystic pimple and two normal ones on one cheek. Fear it will get worse. Dr's appointment is on the 10th. :(

I don't even know how they calculate how much I've taken so far since March with all the delays I've experienced. And I bet I go back to 40mg for a month instead of 80.

Anyone else have issues like this? I love the meds but despise the routine dr/prescription time restraint.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/04/2015 8:15 am

Wow! This is ridiculous! I can't imagine it's good for your body to be coming on and off Accutane.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/04/2015 3:45 pm

Was on Accutane since March. 40 MG then 80 mg since month 2. Got super results. But I am having so many issues getting the bloodwork, Dr appt, and pharmacy/insurance to sync so my monthly meds will be filled on time. There have been most months where something delayed my meds and I've had to get blood taken twice in a week to get it refilled. Im fed up.

Last month was a mess. First, since the previous month there was another blood drawn twice delay, my insurance wouldnt cover an appointment i made before the delay happened so the two appointments werent a month apart which meased up the timing of prescription so insurance wouldnt cover it. So i had to wait a week and restart the whole process. (Blood test, online quiz, etc)

Then the back up nurse never checked my blood test which then made me get blood drawn again but by then the 7 day prescription by the Dr had expired atv the pharmacy. I was then forced to forget the meds for a month because I went away for a week on vacation and my insurance might not have paid for a 3rd blood test on a month.

My last pill was on July 10th. Almost a month later without meds. I have one cystic pimple and two normal ones on one cheek. Fear it will get worse. Dr's appointment is on the 10th. :(

I don't even know how they calculate how much I've taken so far since March with all the delays I've experienced. And I bet I go back to 40mg for a month instead of 80.

Anyone else have issues like this? I love the meds but despise the routine dr/prescription time restraint.

It depends on how long you have been on the drug, but it builds in your system cumulatively, so if you have to go off of it for a few weeks it shouldn't effect your long term results as long as you complete your full cumulative dose.

And yes...I hate the stupid hassle. It is so unbelievably frustrating the amount of hoops you have to jump through. Yours seems particularly rough, I am sorry. My dermatologist just planned all of our appointments 3 months in advance of each other (so I always knew I would have enough drugs to get to the next appointment) and I planned my year accordingly (work, vacations, etc.). Also, the place that I went for blood draws allowed me to make appointments, so I tried to schedule those ahead of time as well, although that didn't always work out. As for the seven day window, my dermatologist was responsible for inputting the lab data into Ipledge, not the labs (they just sent the results to the doctor). So in order to make it work easiest, his office entered the date I had the appointment as my lab draw date (but this was contingent upon my having the lab draw and the appointment within 2 working days of each other, otherwise I think they would have gotten in trouble with Ipledge). This usually bought me an extra couple of days to get my prescription.

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 08/16/2015 7:31 am

Was off completely for a month. Saw the dermatologist and he wants me to finish up the last two months at 80mg. So I'm back on it as of a few minutes ago. Tiny breakout on my jawline/chin but not bad. Back to chugging water I guess!!!

8-16-15 Fairly clear skin! Best it has looked since 7th grade (about 20 years ago)! Month off Accutane. Back on it starting today for last two months.

post-455793-0-00192700-1439728212.jpg