Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey!

Newbie here!

Looking for some advice from any women who have hormonal acne or pcos and are taking both; birth control pills and an antibiotic like lymecycline to combat their acne!

A little background info; I am 21, and have had mild/severe acne since I was 10, and was diagnosed with pcos in early 2015, and have been on a course of lymecycline for 2 months along side Yasmin which I have been taking for about a week (had some cycle issues that led to me starting up on birth control later than planned).

The literature on interactions between antibiotics and hormonal contraceptives is so confusing!!

I read recently advice for women on birth control (according to the Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare) that are taking antibiotics (with the exception of rifampicin or rifabutin) has changed, and that back-up forms of contraception like condoms are no longer necessary when taking antibiotics alongside birth control pills.

Have any women taking similar prescribed medications not used a back-up contraceptive?

Also, what are the results for women out there that have taken this path to combat their acne? Having pcos seems to make life quite difficult in managing my acne, it'd be great to hear some advice from others with the same experience!

Many thanks !! <3