Notifications
Clear all

Purging Or Breaking Out?

MemberMember
(@fiercequince)

Posted : 07/31/2015 1:41 pm

Hi I'm a 17 year old with mostly mild acne however I started breaking out moderately so I decided to get some treatment. I started using the Neutrogena Acne Kit with the Salcylic acid face wash, benzoyl peroxide lotion and moisturizer. For the first week my skin looked amazing I was so happy and then I started breaking out on my forehead where I normally get acne. I have a ton of small whitehead in clusters especially around the right and left of my forehead but not many in the middle. This has been going on for about a week and half and I'm just depressed and don't wanna get out the house lol. I just want to know whether or not this is a purging thing and will subside soon or if something in the product is causing a breakout and if I should switch products.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@porswis)

Posted : 07/31/2015 3:06 pm

Hello FierceQuince!

Its hard to know if its just a purging state or is it maybe your skin breaking out of it. Try to stick with it a little longer and if your skin gets worse you should maybe stop it.

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 07/31/2015 9:19 pm

Hi I'm a 17 year old with mostly mild acne however I started breaking out moderately so I decided to get some treatment. I started using the Neutrogena Acne Kit with the Salcylic acid face wash, benzoyl peroxide lotion and moisturizer. For the first week my skin looked amazing I was so happy and then I started breaking out on my forehead where I normally get acne. I have a ton of small whitehead in clusters especially around the right and left of my forehead but not many in the middle. This has been going on for about a week and half and I'm just depressed and don't wanna get out the house lol. I just want to know whether or not this is a purging thing and will subside soon or if something in the product is causing a breakout and if I should switch products.

Thanks!

Did you have closed comedones or skin colored bumps on your forehead?

If you did, it is without a doubt a purge.

MemberMember
(@fiercequince)

Posted : 08/01/2015 1:59 pm

Thanks!

Did you have closed comedones or skin colored bumps on your forehead?

If you did, it is without a doubt a purge.

Yeah I just had a lot of white heads and some blackheads on my forehead which are all small but there's a lot of them. My skin has never broken out like this before it's normally a few pimples here and there spread out around my face. To this day I've never gotten a pimple on my cheeks and I still haven't from this treatment which makes me feel that it's a purging because I heard if your breaking out you get acne where you normally don't and that's not the case here. Is there any sure fire way you know to tell the differnce between a purge and breakout? Again it's a lot of small white heads no cystic or large pimples anywhere. I just need some help! haha

I don't have experience w/ drugstore acne-treatments b/c as soon as I decided to get serious about clearing up my skin, I got off on the right foot by using the Acne.org regimen. My best advice is to read reviews on the treatment you're currently using. It could be a purge, but that's why you should read reviews. Read about other people's experiences.

The review are mostly positive 3.7/5 rating with a few failures. I was wondering if you broke out from the acne. org regimen ever because they both contain relatively the same stuff (cleanser, 2.5% benzoyl, and a moisturizer). Everyone has said that your acne gets worse before it gets better and that benzoyl always causes stuff like this but I'm just trying to be careful cause I don't want to waste my time with something that doesn't work and since Neutorgena is such a large company I'm questioning the integrity of what they're putting in the product. I'm just wondering if something is clogging my pores or if it's just a normal reaction. My skin is slightly red not very noticeable and for the most part very soft and looks good however I have clusters of small white heads but have yet to develop any "large pimples". My forehead is where i normally break out which is why I feel it's a purging but I'm not sure! Any advice or info would help! thanks

MemberMember
(@fiercequince)

Posted : 08/01/2015 3:13 pm

Pretty much all acne lines contain unnecessary ingredients such as salicylic acid, fragrance, dye, etc. These don't help sensitive acne-prone skin. A face wash/moisturizer shouldn't contain medication. The Acne.org line is stripped down to the basics: nonmedicated cleanser + treatment + nonmedicated moisturizer. There is no reason to have salicylic acid/benzoyl peroxide in a cleanser/moisturizer. They are just extra ingredients that are most likely included simply for label claim. These extra ingredients could be irritating your skin, which can cause breakouts (that is my guess). I don't recall having a purge from using Acne.org, but everyone's skin is different. It's worth it in the long run.

I use just cetaphil for a moisturizer and the cleanser has 0.5 % salcylic acid. The cetaphil for sure isn't doing anything but maybe the cleanser I don't know.

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 08/01/2015 3:14 pm

Maybe.

MemberMember
(@fiercequince)

Posted : 08/01/2015 3:40 pm

My acne on my forehead is definetley starting to clear up and it's looking a lot better today. My plan was to keep using this product and if the breakout gets better and my skin stays clear I'll keep using it. If I were to have another breakout should I drop the product or is this still purging? I feel that purging would only cause one severe or moderate breakout and then once that clears up you should stay clear. I've had this breakout for about a week now and I've used the product for almost 3 weeks. Basically my question is can you have multiple breakouts from purging?

I'd use a different cleanser. Please click this.

I looked over the list and compared it with my cleansers my salcylic acid cleanser has none of the stuff you need to avoid and the benzoyl lotion has an inactive Laureth 4 which is a 5 on the list. I feel like this isn't clogging my pores however but I don't know. Out of all of those things that clog your pores for one to be in one of my things and to be considered inactive just feels to me like it's not going to cause a severe breakout but I may be wrong.

MemberMember
(@fiercequince)

Posted : 08/01/2015 3:54 pm

The cleanser probably isn't breaking you out, but it's just unnecessary to have salicylic acid in one, especially if you're following the regimen. The simpler the better. Anyway, you'll need to use the system more to see if it works for you. I'd say give it at least 2 months.

ok cool! you don't think the laureth 4 is causing any problems? it's "inactive" according to the label but I read it's very pore clogging.