Roaccutane Log

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 07/30/2015 7:03 am

This is my second log following on from my Dianette Diary which kept my skin under control (for the most part, still wasn't flawless where i want it), but after coming off Dianette after 12 months, I moved onto Yasmin which left me with quite bad breakouts... So I was straight back to the dermatologist! Now finally starting Roaccutane. I fully understand the ricks and side effects I'm exposing myself to, but i'm so ready and fed up now that i'm not nervous at all and instead excited. I'll be logging my progress every single day, and updating on side effects as and when they come... So here goes!

20mg 1x per day (with the view to increase after check up in 5 weeks)

Day 2

No change (obviously). Skin is sore and horrid! But feeling optimistic. No side effects experienced yet, but Carmex and E45 Intense Body Lotion at the ready! As well as Cetaphil wash and lotion for my face.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 07/31/2015 5:34 am

Day 3

Had my blood test this morning, just to get a base line of my blood levels to compare to my next tests. No side effects yet, although, my knuckles did look a bit dry today (may be a total coincidence), nothing a bit of E45 hand cream couldn't sort out! Skin seems calmer today, but this probs would have happened anyway as my skin usually clears when I come on (due tomorrow) and is a problem in the lead up about a week before my time of the month.

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 07/31/2015 12:35 pm

Bets of luck through your course!! I hope Accutane works as a miracle drug for you! :D

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/01/2015 2:52 am

Bets of luck through your course!! I hope Accutane works as a miracle drug for you! :D

Thanks so much- me too! Appreciate it :) xx

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/01/2015 4:33 am

Day 4

Fourth tablet taken today. Skin seems to be healing, but then a few little breakouts come up elsewhere. So about the same really! Not great at the moment. No side effects yet however I wouldn't expect them this quick, although apparently the tablets in your system after 48 hours so they can start quite soon!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/02/2015 3:25 am

Day 5

Fifth day today, woke up with cracked lips at the corner but other than that no side effects- nothing a little Carmex couldn't sort out! Skin is healing, however this time of the month this may have usually been happening anyway? (if i remember dates correctly). Feeling positive!

Have been taking the tablet in the morning after cereal with milk, and a small glass of milk to wash it down. Feels so weird drinking milk, I banned a lot of Dairy as it was so bad for your skin apparently! Roaccutane is great taken with milk as it helps to absorb it all.

Marie3892 liked
MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/04/2015 5:16 am

Day 6

No changes, skins still clearing but no real side effects. Lips felt tight in the evening, and had a headache.. could be totally un-linked.

Day 7

Skin is a lot clearer today, pretty much cleared. Headache has gone after a good nights sleep, could have been totally unlinked. Woke up with cracked extremely dry lips- ouch- but i'm smothered in Carmex and all is good!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/05/2015 4:30 am

Day 8

Wow! People are not lying about the dry lips! The corners are cracked and sometimes I see blood, the lips themselves are peeling. It literally happened overnight! I am literally putting Carmex on every 20 minutes (and a lot of it), which to be fair does solve the problem pretty easily. I'm going to go buy some intense Blistex today I think! But nothing some good lip balm can't solve, so far i'm all good! :)

Skin is good, super happy, but my skin would be good at this time of the month anyway, so we shall see!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/06/2015 2:24 am

Day 9

Skin is good, all I have at the moment is flat scars (which will fade). Super happy, no initial breakouts or anything (yet!) but my skin would usually be good at this time just after my time of the month. Will keep updating.

Dry lips seem better, did my make up yesterday as I was going out for a nice meal and my skin did look a little dry which make up only really shows up. Don't wear a full face too often so this is the only time i've really noticed this light dry skin.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/07/2015 4:07 am

Day 10

‹Skin is really really good, not sure wether this is due to the time of the month it is or the Roaccutane, but it does seem clearer than usual? Yay!

Had an episode of sleep paralysis yesterday- where I was like awake for a few minutes (feels like a lifetime) but couldn't move or speak, had it a couple of times a few years ago and its ever so scary! Hope this isn't to do with the tablets and won't happen again, it isn't very pleasant :(

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/08/2015 4:18 am

Day 11

Skin i'm so happy with! I have the tiniest weeniest little spot next to my lip, I think from all the lip balm! But other than that, i'm spot free. I feel like this isn't the best log to read at the moment, but the week before I started Roaccutane my skin really was very badly broken out and very sore. I always have a bad week of skin in the month, so this month will be the real tell all as to how this is treating my skin! However, although this is usually a good week its WAY better than it usually is at this time, my skin will usually be 'mostly' clear with the odd pimple here and there but at the moment its just clear!

Now the side effects... today is the first morning i've not woken up with awfully cracked lips which is good. When I eat I feel really nauseous for a while? And I also had slightly achey legs in the evening yesterday, even though I had a less than tiring day!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/10/2015 5:19 am

Day 12 & 13

Skin is great! Perfect- so happy!

Dry lips are super manageable as I constantly wear lip balm anyway, no other side effects apart from less of an appetite.

Will be interested to see what happens during my monthly breakout period this month- as usually its a bloody nightmare!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/11/2015 10:35 am

Day 14

Popped out today for half an hour without my lipbalm- got home and i literally couldn't get enough Carmex on my lips! It was like they were burning and itching around the lips, ouch! Not a fund feeling.

Still though, pleasantly surprised so far by the drug. All is manageable and good :)

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/15/2015 3:18 am

Day 18

Skin is at its worst today. Little blip in the progress. Sore spot on side below mouth kind of area, and can see another one coming maybe next to lip? Little sore, hope it goes down soon. Very dry lips this morning and skin is dry in patches- feeling it today!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/18/2015 8:09 am

Day 21

The two spots that came up have gone down so skin is a lot better, but a little one has come up in middle of cheek. Nothing at all major. Content. Still going through monthly variations as expected, but all in all a lot better.

Side effects are veryyyyyy minimal, but skin looks very dry when i wear proper make up. Tried my bare minerals powder and i looked so scaly! Cetaphil moisturiser helped.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/25/2015 3:49 am

Day 28

Skin is great! Having a great time with it :D A month gone already- has gone really quick!

No side effects. Dermatologist appointment a week today, so that'll be five weeks. Not sure if my dosage will be doubled? She said it may be, however my skin is of the most part perfect so i'm not sure she'll bother. Although, the odd spot here and there gone would be great!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/26/2015 6:42 am

Day 29

Large spot today on one side, sore. Doesn't look great.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 08/28/2015 9:10 am

Day 31

Side spot has almost healed, just feeling good :)

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 09/02/2015 4:57 am

Day 36

Skin is doing great! So happy with it- no actives!

Had the dermatologist yesterday. She said she'd like to keep me on 20mg as she cannot increase this as i'm quite petite and about 5'3! But as of my age (20), she wants to keep me on it for a good 6 months to ensure it doesn't come back which i'm super happy and relieved about!

No real side effects, having such a great time on it apart from lips get stingy and dry which is nothing for clear skin!

Got my eyebrows waxed last week- i've never had such redness in my life that lasted for days! But they're all healed now. They looked like burns!

Skincare wise- using Cetaphil face cleanser and newly introduced The Body Shop Vitamin C Glow Moisturiser which I love- using it to fade my scars (Vitamin C is great for fading scars)! Seems to be the only moisturiser I can use every day without feeling greasy/like i'm gonna break out. It's a gel texture and smells strong of Citrus, so it's super fresh and sinks in really quick. Link is below

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/skincare/view-all-skincare/vitamin-c-glow-boosting-moisturiser.aspx

MemberMember
(@jaimieb94)

Posted : 09/03/2015 8:16 am

Wishing you luck on your journey!! I'm surprised your derm didn't warn you- waxing is definitely something to avoid while on accutane! Your skin will rip right off! Try to stick to tweezing for now ;)

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 09/04/2015 9:44 am

Wishing you luck on your journey!! I'm surprised your derm didn't warn you- waxing is definitely something to avoid while on accutane! Your skin will rip right off! Try to stick to tweezing for now ;)

Haha well i well and truly know now! My derm told me i can get them done again, just be prepared to be red! She's very chilled, haha

Think I may thread, that'll be better :)

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 09/11/2015 2:20 pm

Day 45

Have had one lip spot in the past time but other than that, nothing. Could have even been caused by the lip balm!

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 09/12/2015 3:41 pm

wow :) can you post before and after pics?

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 09/19/2015 8:39 am

Day 53? Amazzzzzinnggggggg :D

MemberMember
(@criz98)

Posted : 09/20/2015 8:26 am

I'm so happy for you , can you show us pics of how you were and how you acne free face is now ?