Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Didn't Work For Me

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 07/29/2015 5:57 pm

Start spiro for OILY skin only.. Don't have much acne anymore besides some clogging. From dates of June 2014 to March 29th. I was taking 25mg twice a day.

March 29th 2015- still saw no improvement to I increased my dose to 50mg twice a day.

Stopped taking it at the end of May.. No huge breakout or anything when I stopped but I'm truly upset it didn't work. And I definitely waited long enough initially ..

Should I have waited longer on the higher dose?

Should I have taken the whole dose at a one time?

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't take my second dose before 3pm.. It was usually around dinner.

Now it leads to me thinking maybe my oily skin isn't hormonal at all.

I've tried everything else- diet change, every supplement possible, the gentle cleansing thing ... Nothing cures my oily skin!!!

I'm ready to give up and think it's just genetics. But even at that, from what I've read genetics make some people more sensitive to the DHT ....so in turn spiro should have even helped that?

Help guys!! Any advice :(

Sorry typo: March 29th 2015 I increase my dose to 50mg twice a day and stopped at the end of this May.

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 07/29/2015 9:47 pm

It probably isn't hormonal. Many just have oily skin genetically.

Find a good cleansing regimen 2x a day for oily skin.

Oil free moisturizer.

Use BP & SA

For any clogged pores use Salicylic Acid.

WadeX

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/29/2015 10:15 pm

I think you should have waited longer on the higher dose. Every time you make a dose change it can take a while to kick in.

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 07/30/2015 11:32 am

Also...I'm from Canada and the brand I was given said " Teva-Spironolactone"..which apparently is generic.

I called the pharmacy and switched to Aldactone( the brand name) to see if that makes a difference...

What do you guys think..would that really make a difference ? Anyone have luck with spiro from Canada? If so, which brand?

MemberMember
(@kennah)

Posted : 03/14/2019 3:49 pm

Did the brand name make a difference?

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 03/14/2019 4:30 pm

I've heard the spironolactone from accord healthcare is awful. I have heard from most accounts, spiro takes a full 3 months to work and sometimes 4.