Notifications
Clear all

Is This Comedonal Acne? (Very Bad)

MemberMember
(@worldwarzack11)

Posted : 07/29/2015 2:18 pm

I've had this acne since I was about 10. I'm 17 now. It's never gone away. I've used acne products like Clean&Clear, Proactive, etc etc. It wasn't made for this type of acne obviously. I'm trying to see my dermatologist soon, I've heard great things about Accutane. I really want to improve my skin, I've never neglected it, I'm a guy so I never put on crazy heaps of makeup or any products like that. I wash my face normally and I'm pretty hygenic. Any help would be appreciated.

post-481919-0-76041400-1438197321.jpg

post-481919-0-55810300-1438197330.jpg

post-481919-0-25906800-1438197344.jpg

post-481919-0-01685200-1438197361.jpg

post-481919-0-04076500-1438197377.jpg

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 07/29/2015 3:08 pm

Yeah, looks like comedonal acne to me but good you're seeing a derm if you've had this a long time and it hasn't responded to OTC treatment, he/she will be able to diagnose your condition and recommend a treatment. Could also be something fungal going on, in addition to acne, but your derm will know. Do the bumps get itchy at all??

Have you tried BHA (salicylic acid) products like Stridex pads?? They tend to be better suited for treating comedonal acne.

MemberMember
(@worldwarzack11)

Posted : 07/29/2015 3:32 pm

Yeah, looks like comedonal acne to me but good you're seeing a derm if you've had this a long time and it hasn't responded to OTC treatment, he/she will be able to diagnose your condition and recommend a treatment. Could also be something fungal going on, in addition to acne, but your derm will know. Do the bumps get itchy at all??

Have you tried BHA (salicylic acid) products like Stridex pads?? They tend to be better suited for treating comedonal acne.

Yes I've tried the stridex pads. They work good for inflammed acne, but I haven't got this comedonal stuff to go away for years. Would Accutane help?

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 07/29/2015 9:43 pm

Accutane isn't very likely to help with closed comedones.

Please please try a Glycolic or Salicylic Acid.

They turn those comedones into an inflamed pimple and within in 3 weeks the inflamed pimple will be gone and you will be clear.

Read reviews and find a product that will be easy for you to get your hands on.

(Glycolic Acid is probably better for those. It looks severe)

Good luck

WadeX

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@worldwarzack11)

Posted : 07/29/2015 11:02 pm

Accutane isn't very likely to help with closed comedones.

Please please try a Glycolic or Salicylic Acid.

They turn those comedones into an inflamed pimple and within in 3 weeks the inflamed pimple will be gone and you will be clear.

Read reviews and find a product that will be easy for you to get your hands on.

(Glycolic Acid is probably better for those. It looks severe)

Good luck

WadeX

I seen some success stories with Accutane & closed comedones.. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow & gonna try to get a referral to the dermatologist. When I get something prescribed, I'm gonna post updates

MemberMember
(@dextersmom)

Posted : 07/29/2015 11:31 pm

This looks like you may also have some folliculitis, a bacterial infection of the hair follicle.

Unfortunately I have this too.. And I am a woman!! I literally have to shave. So embarrassing.

I have been having some success by

1. Make sure to CLEAN YOUR RAZOR

WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL. Before you shave, then if you can tolerate the pain wash your face with rubbing alcohol. It gets down into the follicle. Stings but almost in a good "Ha ha F-U acne bacteria!" Kind of way

2. A prescription antibiotic can help by giving you a good clear-up but it will eventually come back.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 07/29/2015 11:35 pm

Awesome!

I'd love to hear about it.

Good luck at the derm ;)

WadeX

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 07/30/2015 8:46 am

This looks like you may also have some folliculitis, a bacterial infection of the hair follicle.

Unfortunately I have this too.. And I am a woman!! I literally have to shave. So embarrassing.

WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL. Before you shave, then if you can tolerate the pain wash your face with rubbing alcohol. It gets down into the follicle. Stings but almost in a good "Ha ha F-U acne bacteria!" Kind of way

2. A prescription antibiotic can help by giving you a good clear-up but it will eventually come back.

Yeah, folliculitis was my other suspicion of what may be going on...my son has this. It's responding really well to Nizoral shampoo, which contains the active ingredient ketoconazole. You can also wash your face with this in the shower and leave on a few minutes before rinsing. He uses it on his face, back, and shoulders (plus hair of course). It's clearing up his bacne which looks a lot like the bumps you have. But good you're having a derm check it out and tell you for sure what's going on. FYI, most derms only recommend Accutane as a last resort for only the most severe scarring acne due to the side effects, they probably will not recommend this for you. Good luck at the derm!! :)

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 07/30/2015 9:52 am

Yeah, folliculitis was my other suspicion of what may be going on...my son has this. It's responding really well to Nizoral shampoo, which contains the active ingredient ketoconazole. You can also wash your face with this in the shower and leave on a few minutes before rinsing. He uses it on his face, back, and shoulders (plus hair of course). It's clearing up his bacne which looks a lot like the bumps you have. But good you're having a derm check it out and tell you for sure what's going on. FYI, most derms only recommend Accutane as a last resort for only the most severe scarring acne due to the side effects, they probably will not recommend this for you. Good luck at the derm!! :)

It is possible. But if he's had it since he was ten. Who knows.

MemberMember
(@worldwarzack11)

Posted : 07/30/2015 11:30 am

Thank you! I've heard Follicullitis before but I'm not entirely educated in it. Follicullitis looks inflamed, most of my bumps don't become inflamed until they purge. They look like comedones, with the black heads and white heads underneath. I know it may not seem severe, but there are a bunch of tiny bumps, hundreds even. It's not normal, that's for sure. I really hope I can get rid of these...

EDIT: I've also had this before I ever had facial hair. Not sure if that effects Follicullitis but.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 07/30/2015 12:19 pm

The facial hair thing is what made me wonder.

I think follicitus is possible with those tiny hairs that every kid has on their face. So there still is a possibility.

Not all follicitus has to be closed comedones. It can very well be inflamed and the inflamed acne is much more common.

The hair was growing and then was somehow clogged or infected but never was inflamed.

This caused the closed comedones.

Good luck again!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@nycskinproblems92)

Posted : 07/31/2015 4:05 am

Try an antifungal cream maybe it will help!

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 07/31/2015 9:03 am

It is possible. But if he's had it since he was ten. Who knows.

I agree having this since age 10 is definitely not normal, so good he's having a doctor check it out. Another option is to have these closed comedones professionally extracted. Most spas will do this as part of a typical facial for a nominal fee. Have you tried extracting yourself and do the pores just keep filling up??? Do the sebum plugs come out easily with gentle pressing or are they pretty deep? My son has a cluster similar to yours between his eyebrows and it's fairly stubborn so we leave the area alone. But the Nizoral shampoo is really helping. His forehead looks much better than it did a few weeks ago. It was literally covered in tiny hard rough bumps but now it's much smoother. We're using the Nizoral shampoo in conjunction with the Acne.org Regimen as he also has inflamed acne.

MemberMember
(@acne_is_damn_annoying)

Posted : 06/28/2016 7:00 am

I hate it so much when people say they will post updates and they the don't. Literaly every other topic on acne.org. Goddamn egoists.

MemberMember
(@marcela123)

Posted : 07/05/2017 12:49 am

Updates??