Notifications
Clear all

Making My Own Moisturizer

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 07/29/2015 8:00 am

Hello,

My favorite moisturizer is being discontinued :(

I am attempting to remake it myself because nothing has come close to how effective it is.

Does anyone know of a suitable web forum where I can get assistance in the process in making my own moisturizer?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 07/30/2015 4:07 am

Thanks for the info Control Panel.

Please could you offer your advice. The moisturizer I am looking to recreate is to calm and mask red facial skin. I know the ingredients lists are listed in order of what they contain the most of, so am starting from scratch and have started purchasing them in the order they appear. I am really hoping that the real active ingredients which have a positive effective on calming and masking facial redness are early on in the ingredients list, so I won't have to purchase ALL of them before finding something that works. Here is the ingredients list:

Aqua (Water), Caprylic.capric triglyceride, zinc oxide, isohexadecane, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, glycerin, cetaryl alcohol, titanium dioxide (CI 77891), isopropyl myristate, polyacrylamide, propylene glycol, arnica montana flower extract, oleth-10, cetearyl glucoside, phenoxyethanol, methyl PCA< anthemis nobilis (chamomile) flower extract, C13-14 isoparaffin, prunus amygdalus, dulcis (sweet almond) oil, polyhydroxysteric acid, parfum, alumina, aluminum sterate, isodeceth-6, methylparaben, menthol, laureth-7, allatoin, bisabolol, ferulic acid, niacinamide, tocopherol, propylparaben, disodium EDTA, isotearic acid, simethicone, dipropylene glycol, phospholipids, retinyl palmitate, quaternium-15, tocopheryl acetate, ascorbyl palmitate, CI 42090 (blue 1)

So far I just have the Caprylic.capric triglyceride and zinc oxide. When I mix them together, it is way too watery, the zinc oxide gets very uneven when applied to the skin, and it is hard to wash off.

I have a feeling the zinc oxide is the main effective ingredient, not only calming the skin but also masking the redness with its white color. So firstly i'm definitely trying to create a usable zinc oxide moisturizer to test with.

All your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 07/30/2015 6:49 am

This is massively helpful, thank you. I just need to figure out which from the ingredients list is which :)

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 07/30/2015 10:04 am

One final question, what would be the cheapest and suitable thickening agent for this mix? suitable for sensitive skin.

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 07/31/2015 2:10 am

Thanks again