Notifications
Clear all

Is The Argan Oil The Culprit For My Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@konaka)

Posted : 07/28/2015 12:49 am

I stumbled upon argan oil after reading that it was beneficial for dry acne-prone skin. I immediately ordered some good quality, organic organ oil to use on my face. After about 4 days of usage, I have developed a couple of red spots on my cheeks and jawline. My question is whether or not I am experiencing a "purging period" or if the oil is simply not suitable for my skin. I have read dozens of reviews online that claim the oil does not cause any acne. I've also read that it has a comedogenic rating of 0 (meaning it should not likely clog the pores).

Do people generally experience a purging effect with initial usage of oils?

Should I stop usage, or wait and see if things clear up?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/28/2015 10:28 am

I stumbled upon argan oil after reading that it was beneficial for dry acne-prone skin. I immediately ordered some good quality, organic organ oil to use on my face. After about 4 days of usage, I have developed a couple of red spots on my cheeks and jawline. My question is whether or not I am experiencing a "purging period" or if the oil is simply not suitable for my skin. I have read dozens of reviews online that claim the oil does not cause any acne. I've also read that it has a comedogenic rating of 0 (meaning it should not likely clog the pores).

Do people generally experience a purging effect with initial usage of oils?

Should I stop usage, or wait and see if things clear up?

Hi! No - Argan will not cause purging of any kind, and also, it is considered a noncomedgenic oil in that it doesn't sit in pores. That being said, if you are experiencing a breakout you may try discontinuing the argan oil to see if it helps.

I am glad you bought a good quality Argan oil. There are, however, a lot of products out there that contain alot of additives. If the oil was expensive, in a dark container, and the ingredients lists ONLY 100% Moroccan Argan oil (Argania spinosa) then you bought a good quality product.If any of those three aren't true, you may have bought a product with additives that irritate your skin.

Also, you need to use Argan oil correctly. Only 1-2 drops are needed to moisturize your entire face and neck, any more then that will not absorb. The best way to apply it is to place 1 or 2 drops in the palm of your hands, and rub them together and apply directly to your face. This will warm the oil up and spread it more evenly.

MemberMember
(@thek8ster)

Posted : 06/02/2016 12:57 am

It's really important to make sure your face is totally clean when you apply the oil. Also because the oil itself doesn't have anti bacteria properties, I recommend mixing at least on drop of tea tree or lavender if you have acne. Just in the palm of your hand. From my experience, Argan oil is awesome but it definitely did not cure my breakouts. :( Benzoyl peroxide it is...