Notifications
Clear all

Pissed At Doctors

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/27/2015 10:35 pm

When I was in high school I went to a doctor to fix my skin issues. I had cystic acne, and he prescribed me antibiotics. Antibiotics obviously aren't powerful enough to cure cystic acne. The best it can do is repress it for a short duration (based on my knowledge). Like why couldn't he have told me that my problem will not be resolved by simple means and that the best chance was to take accutane way back then? No, instead I had to learn this on my own through multiple more years of coping with acne that was unnecessary. Now I have to take accutane during my last year of college and I've already had cystic acne the first 3 years of college along with all of highschool. Way to go doctor. Give me something to get me out of your office instead of tell me the truth and get down to actually resolving my issues.

Future reference, look up your own disorders and fact check doctors because I should not have had to deal with cystic acne all those years it sucks and my life could have been a lot different.

Who else got the run around?

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 07/27/2015 11:42 pm

That's what a lot of dermatologists do. They give you weak sauce, and hit or miss treatments and keep upping the dosage everytime it fails, resulting in them sucking up your money. And on top of that, the antibiotics ruin your digestive system and other parts of your body, probably even worsening your acne after you get off of it.

And then there's accutane. The biggest risk and hit or miss. Even if it gets rid of your acne, it's likely to come back in a year or two.

It's big business. $$$

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 07/28/2015 5:42 am

my advice, no matter what the ailment, educate yourself- and you go armed with what you need to do

to me they just write prescriptions, I do all of the research and heavy lifting

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/29/2015 6:52 pm

yes and yes, but what I'm confused about is how a doctor directly benefits from prescribing me crap that won't actually work? I mean the money from the drugs will go directly to the pharmaceutical company... Unless I will keep coming back to visit the doctor because it doesn't work?

And so these pharmaceutical companies pay people off to get good word on their drugs to make them the standard treatment? then doctors are prescribing it because they are just trained to prescribe things based on medical reports? not on the actual effectiveness or chemical components of drugs?

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/30/2015 7:51 pm

interesting, so some people really do take care of it longterm w/ antibiotics? cystic that is

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 07/31/2015 5:28 am

I got referred to a derm after trying two treatments (antibiotics and a topical) and got prescribed accutane straight away.

Some derms don't want to mess around.