Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ragazza bella

Accutane and Depression Medication

I just recently started seeing a psychologist to deal with depression that's been going on for about seven years now, and he suggested that I think about taking depression medication in addition to therapy. I'm in my second month of accutane, and I've responded so well to it... I'm practically clear!!!! I want to continue taking accutane until I am completely clear, but I was wondering if any of you have been on accutane and depression meds at the same time and if there are any side effects and if this is safe??? Thanks for any responses!!

I am currently taking 300 mg of Seroquel (an anti-psychotic) and have also been on several anti-depressants and mood stablizers in the past (i.e., Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lithium). I have not experienced a negative reaction to taking both Seroquel and Accutane.

I will add, however, that many of the above drugs have a serious effect on your liver, as does Accutane. Be sure to let your dermatologist know that you are taking both so that he/she can see if there are any warning signs in your blood work.

If you are concerned about certain drug interactions, you can go to http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and type in the different medications that you are taking to see if there is a bad interaction.

P.S. Congratulations on your rapidly clearing skin! It always makes me feel good to know that people are finally conquering acne! Yeee-haw!