Notifications
Clear all

What Kind Of Acne Does Spiro Target?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/24/2015 1:29 pm

So I recently moved and have an appointment with a new derm on August 4th. Spiro may come up but not sure if it would be beneficial for my type of acne. I breakout non stop and it's no better or worse before or after my cycle. Also, most of my pimples are papules and pustules and some closed comedones. Most of them surround my mouth, chin area but I do get acne on my cheeks and forehead.

Any idea if spiro could help my situation?

MemberMember
(@porswis)

Posted : 07/24/2015 2:15 pm

Good question! I will soon start spironolactone too but my acne is different then yours. It always gets worse before and after my period. I mostly have clogged pores but I do get 2 or 3 cysts aroung my jawline and temples depending on my cycle.

Have you had your hormones checked? Spironolactone does wonders for people with pcos/excess testostetone or you can still have a sensitivity to the male hormones even if those are in the normal range.

Maybe some other topics here can help you. Alot of woman take it.

I think if an youre adult theres a big chance that your acne is still hormonal related. So I think spiro can help you.

Porswis

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/24/2015 4:01 pm

Good question! I will soon start spironolactone too but my acne is different then yours. It always gets worse before and after my period. I mostly have clogged pores but I do get 2 or 3 cysts aroung my jawline and temples depending on my cycle.

Have you had your hormones checked? Spironolactone does wonders for people with pcos/excess testostetone or you can still have a sensitivity to the male hormones even if those are in the normal range.

I think if an youre adult theres a big chance that your acne is still hormonal related. So I think spiro can help you.

Porswis

I'm 32 and I've had consistent acne since 15 (barring the times I've taken accutane).

I did a hormone test that came back normal so I don't know. I just don't want to make things worse but this is something I haven't tried yet. Are you going to keep a log on your progress.

MemberMember
(@porswis)

Posted : 07/25/2015 6:22 am

Porswis

I'm 32 and I've had consistent acne since 15 (barring the times I've taken accutane).

I did a hormone test that came back normal so I don't know. I just don't want to make things worse but this is something I haven't tried yet. Are you going to keep a log on your progress.

I think spiro would help you because you can have your testosterone level normal but have a sensitivity to them. Wich is my case. Plus if your acne came back after accutane theres a big chance its hormonal related.

But I understand about you being worried. I'm also affraid to take spiro and things gets worse (worried about the initial breakout).

My acne is mild but its gets really bad before and after my period so it does affect me alot specially when the pimples gives me bad red marks and redness.

If you have tried everything and nothing worked you should give it a try.

I think no how about you?

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 08/02/2015 12:44 am

I was wondering the same my acne is similar to yours mild inflamation with very oily skin. I know my acne is hormonal and is due to high androgen levels it came back in recent blood work. My problem is that every time I start spiro I start breaking out in cystic acne immediately. I've tried it twice (a year apart) and I react the same way within 3-5 days. When I stop my skin goes back to not having cysts.

MemberMember
(@adfreak1991)

Posted : 08/03/2015 11:52 pm

I've never taken spiro but I've considered it at times. My skin is doing really well on Dans regimen right now, but it could also be the fact that I just started my 4th or 5th month on the generic Ortho Tri Cyclen, Trinessa. My skin got really bad at first, but I think my body is adjusting well finally. I've probably been on 5 or 10 different birth control pills in the last 6 years, for both acne and ovarian cysts. How has your body responded to bcp's? But yea I'd recommend having your blood tested for hormones and nutrient levels, I've had a few doctors talk about it w me before.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/04/2015 7:11 pm

Well I've been prescribed 100 mg of spiro (just waiting for meds to be delivered). My skin has slowly worsened these last few weeks and that is the last oral I can try. My derm also things I have a case of peri oral dermatitis on the lower part of my face so she prescribed Oracea and elidel topical. I am so weary! If this doesn't work then the only two options open to me are:

Another course of accutane

Naturopathic means