Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just heard there is a new study linking Vitamin E to premature death. Like any natural or synthetic chemical, we must be careful. The body is about balance, usually involving small quantities of different chemicals. A new report shows that anyone taking more than 400 IU s of Vitamin E a day may be putting their life at risk. I know people have been using this to counteract the effects of the accutane's drying effects. But, I warn you, too much of anything isn't a good thing and vitamins follow that rule. It is suggested that large quantities of Vitamin E reduce the body's ability to get rid of toxins in the body. I'm just reporting what I saw on a news report. Research everything and know that we're all in this together smile.gif

Take care.

Yes it will, doses of over 500MG of Vit C will impair your vision and give you bad breath. Beware!!!1

I read this article too.

Unfortunately it's hard to determine whether there is really a causal connection by the information provided by the articles. Like the accutane--> suicide link there could be some confounding third variables that are accounting for the difference, especially if these weren't controlled trials.

Thank you for letting us know. I think it is really important for us to be informed about what we are putting into our bodies even if are all going to die someday. I'd like to think when that day comes, I'll have at least one good organ to donate.

When I went to visit the endocrinologist, I gave him a full list of all the supplements I take and he expressed concern. He said that he doesn't doubt that they can do positive things for the body but since the food and drug administration wasn't monitoring them, there is no way to tell whether or not a "batch" is contaminated.

I really don't intend to stop taking the vitamins and supplements, even knowing the risks involved. It is basically the same as knowing the risks involved with Accutane. After reading GO's post, however, I will be sure not to over-do it - - meaning, taking more then the recommended dose in order to produce immediate and better results.

And, Cheer Up, John! You're entitled to your bad days and, even if you can't feel it, I have faith that there will be better days!

I knew it would not be long before the media picked up this and now have everyone paranoid. The new studies released on Vitamin E are flawed in several ways, one of the major problems is that all people tracked and studied had chronic illness before starting the study. Out of the hundreds of studies that prove the benefits of taking vitamin E for many conditions including the prevention of heart disease the media picks up this one severely flawed study. It makes me sick actually. And to add, Vitamin C does not have any effect on vision and is not bad for you. I take 2000mg a day in powdered form mixed in water and will for the rest of my life. Not only does it help my cuts and any lesions heal extremely fast but I have not been sick or had a cold in over 10 years (no lie)

Quoted from Dr. Weil http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA/

Today's Question

Is Vitamin E Dangerous?

I just read that vitamin E should be avoided because it increases the risk of death. Is this true? Should I stop taking vitamin E?

-- Maxie 

Today's Answer (Published 11/12/2004)

I understand your concern. Here’s the story: results of a new analysis from Johns Hopkins University suggest that taking daily doses of vitamin E that exceed 400 international units (IU) can increase the risk of death. The researchers arrived at their conclusion after analyzing death rates in 19 unrelated clinical trials that studied vitamin E supplementation for various health conditions. The trials took place from 1993 to 2004 and all together included more than 136,000 patients in North America, Europe and China. The vitamin E doses used in the different trials ranged from 15 to 2000 IU per day; the average daily intake was about 400 IU.

The technique used to arrive at the Hopkins’ results -- called meta-analysis -- can only raise questions, not answer them. Vitamin E has no known toxicity, except for an anticoagulant effect that is usually desirable.

The analysis found that taking a daily dose of 200 IU per day presented no increased risk of death and suggested that it might benefit health. However, the researchers found an increased risk of death at daily doses exceeding 200 IU; for those taking daily doses of 400 IU or more the risk of death was about 10 percent higher than among those taking placebos.

But the analysis also revealed some seemingly contradictory data. For example, one of the studies showed that among people who had had a heart attack, taking vitamin E was correlated with a lower risk of a second heart attack. Despite this encouraging finding, the patients taking the vitamin E were more likely to die than those taking the placebo.

It is important to know that most of the patients all of the trials analyzed were over 60 and had pre-existing health problems such as heart or kidney disease. The Hopkins researchers conceded that because of the age and compromised health of the study participants, their findings might not apply to younger, healthier people. The study results were presented on Nov. 10, 2004, at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions in New Orleans. They were simultaneously released on the Web site of the Annals of Internal Medicine.

My feeling is that the health status of the study participants could be the problem here – perhaps the vitamin E had some unpredictable bad effect on their pre-existing conditions or didn’t mix well with certain medications. The researchers also may have overlooked controlling for the form of vitamin E used in the various studies. Natural vitamin E in the form of mixed tocopherols can possibly provide different benefits than synthetic versions limited to alpha tocopherol. We’ve seen in the past that under certain circumstances supplements can have unexpected, negative effects. For example, two major studies have shown that straight beta carotene supplements led to more, not less, lung cancer among smokers.

Based on what we know now, my advice is still to take supplemental vitamin E in doses up to 400 IU a day but not exceeding that. Avoid dl-alpha-tocopherol and look for products that include all four tocopherols, not just the d-alpha form. Better yet, try to get the whole vitamin E complex: four tocopherols plus four tocotrienols. But, as always, be sure to discuss with your physician any supplements and medications you take – over the counter or otherwise.

Andrew Weil, MD

I knew it would not be long before the media picked up this and now have everyone paranoid. The new studies released on Vitamin E are flawed in several ways, one of the major problems is that all people tracked and studied had chronic illness before starting the study. Out of the hundreds of studies that prove the benefits of taking vitamin E for many conditions including the prevention of heart disease the media picks up this one severely flawed study. It makes me sick actually. And to add, Vitamin C does not have any effect on vision and is not bad for you. I take 2000mg a day in powdered form mixed in water and will for the rest of my life. Not only does it help my cuts and any lesions heal extremely fast but I have not been sick or had a cold in over 10 years (no lie)

Quoted from Dr. Weil http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA/

What I highlighted in bold red was not included in any media reports about the study. Just proves what I have known for a long time. The media will only report the negatives, and will omit certain parts of a study that will not allow the report to frighten the masses.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a Weil fan too. I undertstand that many scientific studies are flawed. My point in starting this thread is to bring to awareness that too much of a good thing is well not good. We often think that vitamins are harmless and that's not true at all. The best way to get Vitamins? Through your diet. Truth is we kill ourselves with bad diets and then try to make it up by taking large amounts of vitamins, oils etc. I just want everyone to inform themselves and be safe smile.gif