Notifications
Clear all

Why Do I Have Acne?

MemberMember
(@giraffe15)

Posted : 07/16/2015 12:12 am

Okay so basically I want to know your guys opinion on why I have acne or things I could do to figure out the cause of my acne. I figure if I figure that out then I can work on getting rid of it. So I'm 14 years old and have had acne since I was 12. I got it right around the time I first started my period (No clue if that has anything to do with it). It started with just one pimple every once in a while, but it would be gigantic and being my stupid self, I would pop them. My acne slowly started increasing, so by the time I was 13 I had it everywhere. It was pretty bad on my forehead and cheeks, and I would get really big random pimples on my chin. I don't think any were really cysts. I I had a lot of regular (Red, with sometimes puss, sorry gross I know) pimples on my cheeks. My forehead I think I had white heads (TONS of small little skin colored bumps) along with some on my cheeks. I tried countless drugstore products, but nothing really worked. So then I went to the dermatologist. He prescribed me duac and minocycline. It worked amazingly. I am completely clear, except for like two white heads, of acne atm. I'm supposed to stop the minocycline now though. I know the acne is probably going to come back from stopping the antibiotic, so I want to figure out whats the problem of it before it comes back that way I can start immediately treating it. Even if it doesn't come back though its better to be safe then sorry right? I also consume a lot of dairy and junk food, but I'm trying to start eating healthier and going away from those foods. Do you think it could be diet? Or hormones? Help is greatly appreciated. Acne is such a struggle, it seems as if everyone I know has perfectly clear skin, but me. Oh also two out of four of my brothers had acne. They out grew it by the time the graduated high school though and now they don't get acne what so ever. I don't know if family history is of any importance, but just thought I'd mention it. I would ask my dermatologist, but he sucks. I'm literally in there for like 5 minutes, he just takes one quick look at my skin every time I go. Sadly he's the best in my area )-: Oh I almost forgot! I had an allergy test done a couple months ago for my asthma. I'm not exactly sure what I was tested for, but I know I was tested for about 50 things. I'm going to ask my mom for the results, so I can see if they tested me for any foods.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/16/2015 11:04 am

Okay so basically I want to know your guys opinion on why I have acne or things I could do to figure out the cause of my acne. I figure if I figure that out then I can work on getting rid of it. So I'm 14 years old and have had acne since I was 12. I got it right around the time I first started my period (No clue if that has anything to do with it). It started with just one pimple every once in a while, but it would be gigantic and being my stupid self, I would pop them. My acne slowly started increasing, so by the time I was 13 I had it everywhere. It was pretty bad on my forehead and cheeks, and I would get really big random pimples on my chin. I don't think any were really cysts. I I had a lot of regular (Red, with sometimes puss, sorry gross I know) pimples on my cheeks. My forehead I think I had white heads (TONS of small little skin colored bumps) along with some on my cheeks. I tried countless drugstore products, but nothing really worked. So then I went to the dermatologist. He prescribed me duac and minocycline. It worked amazingly. I am completely clear, except for like two white heads, of acne atm. I'm supposed to stop the minocycline now though. I know the acne is probably going to come back from stopping the antibiotic, so I want to figure out whats the problem of it before it comes back that way I can start immediately treating it. Even if it doesn't come back though its better to be safe then sorry right? I also consume a lot of dairy and junk food, but I'm trying to start eating healthier and going away from those foods. Do you think it could be diet? Or hormones? Help is greatly appreciated. Acne is such a struggle, it seems as if everyone I know has perfectly clear skin, but me. Oh also two out of four of my brothers had acne. They out grew it by the time the graduated high school though and now they don't get acne what so ever. I don't know if family history is of any importance, but just thought I'd mention it. I would ask my dermatologist, but he sucks. I'm literally in there for like 5 minutes, he just takes one quick look at my skin every time I go. Sadly he's the best in my area )-: Oh I almost forgot! I had an allergy test done a couple months ago for my asthma. I'm not exactly sure what I was tested for, but I know I was tested for about 50 things. I'm going to ask my mom for the results, so I can see if they tested me for any foods.

Hi - this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it sounds like you have pretty typical teenage acne which comes as a result of hormonal changes in puberty. There is some suggestion of a genetic component, in that people with relatives who had/have teenage acne are more likely to see breakouts as well.

Since you are clear now (congrats!), you can definitely ease up on the antibiotics. Continue your topical however, that will help mantain your complexion. Unfortunately, there is the risk that the acne could come back after stopping antibiotics, but continuing with your topical religiously will minimize the risk.

Eating less dairy and junk-food should help (but don't go overboard on cutting out foods, start off slow, maybe cut out extra sugar and junk). Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@giraffe15)

Posted : 07/16/2015 9:15 pm

Hi - this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it sounds like you have pretty typical teenage acne which comes as a result of hormonal changes in puberty. There is some suggestion of a genetic component, in that people with relatives who had/have teenage acne are more likely to see breakouts as well.

Since you are clear now (congrats!), you can definitely ease up on the antibiotics. Continue your topical however, that will help mantain your complexion. Unfortunately, there is the risk that the acne could come back after stopping antibiotics, but continuing with your topical religiously will minimize the risk.

Eating less dairy and junk-food should help (but don't go overboard on cutting out foods, start off slow, maybe cut out extra sugar and junk). Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Good luck!

So basically theres nothing really to do to stop it? Just do the things that could help it? It was nice to hear that the topicals would help minimize the acne that comes back, that's the most positive thing I've heard about stopping the antibiotics yet. Haha well thanks for the input and help!