Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roboricky

Benzoyl Peroxide Coming Off

After applying benzoyl peroxide and moisturizer today, I realized I put on too much moisturizer and jojoba oil and my face was very oily, almost wet. I had to use a paper towel to absorb the oil. Would this have taken the benzoyl peroxide off? Do I have to apply it again, or does it not matter because the BP had already absorbed? Furthermore, I also apply oil and Vaseline to my face at night, but it comes off during my sleep because I roll over on my face. Will this affect the BP's effectiveness? What if it rains outside and I get drenched?

Just curious because Dan says not to wash benzoyl peroxide off, but some moderators have said that it doesn't matter because any BP left on the skin isn't doing anything because it has to absorb. But then what would be the point of not washing? Just curious.

Thanks!

I started putting a towel over my pillow when I sleep to keep the pillowcase from bleaching and getting dirty. Especially when you start out and are putting A LOT of moisturizer on your face, it's normal for product to come off. Don't worry so much that the BP is coming off, and just focus on keeping the the application schedule.

• Would this have taken the benzoyl peroxide off? No
  • Do I have to apply it again, or does it not matter because the BP had already absorbed? You need to reapply it only if you sweat, if rain water washes it off, etc. Simply blotting the oil off most likely isn't enough to take away the BP.
As far as the oil and Vaseline are concerned, no. The BP will stay put. Your skin will get irritated from that, though, which can cause a breakout.

You said a few moderators informed you that some BP has yet to absorb (once it has dried). Applying moisturizer once the BP has dried actually helps it to absorb more. As the moisturizer softens the superficial layer of BP, the moisturizer starts to absorb, which brings the BP in with it.

Edited by Control Panel