Notifications
Clear all

Micellar Water

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 07/10/2015 10:58 am

Hi guys, it's been a while, but I wanted to share my experience using Simple's Micellar Water to "wash" my face and my mostly-complete departure from acne products and traditional face washing using tap water. Basically, micellar water was developed in Paris because the harsh tap water in Paris was affecting people's skin, and we all know how serious the French are about skincare. It's been around for years and years.

http://www.simpleskincare.com/our-products/product/micellar-cleansing-water.html

There are other micellar waters - Bioderma, La Roche Posay - but they are more expensive and frankly I have other things to spend my money on these days. Simple is fragrance free and I trust their products.

Micelles are tiny oil/fatty acid molecules suspended in water.

You apply it with a cotton pad or ball and sweep it over your face. I do several passes if I've been wearing makeup or it's been a long day. You don't rinse it off. If I'm not falling into bed after a long night of shenanigans, I apply my usual moisturizer after, and in the morning, SPF.

A disclaimer: I don't know if this product would clear an existing acne infection, at least, not very quickly. But already having calmed down my acne using birth control (Yaz & now Loryna), benzoyl peroxide wash (Panoxyl), clindamycin and differin cream (which gave me weird skin texture, so i stopped), I wanted to slowly reduce my product use and make my skincare less of an ordeal. Acne took over my life for a while. Furthermore, I noticed my skin was dryer and while it was clear, it wasn't glowing the way we want it to. Step by step, I reduced my BP/Clindamycin use and was only using CeraVe hydrating cleanser to wash my face. I had one or two odd pimples when I switched from my brand-name birth control to the generic, and in a fit of fear returned to the BP and clinda, but quickly realized that it was best to just stay calm and continue on with the CeraVe.

But I was running low. So on a random trip to CVS for sunscreen and floss, I remembered reading about micellar water and picked up this baby. Since then I've been using it as my primary cleansing product. I rarely let water touch my face except when swimming or in the shower. My skin is so much less dry and irritated feeling, and I love that I don't have to wash my face - I secretly hate washing my face and drying my skin with a towel. My eyes always sting. I also love doing it in my bedroom rather than the bathroom. Or even in bed when watching tv. I am SUCH a lazy bum.

BUT I think my skin is softer, I think it glows. My hyperpigmentation and occasionally redness is about the same, but I'll take it. I even go out in public without a layer of foundation and don't think about my skin. I don't have the tightness, and I haven't had an active pimple since the few when I changed my birth control. I don't have to layer on a ton of moisturizer after washing. My skin just feels like SKIN.

If you have sensitive skin I recommend trying to avoid tap water and cut down on irritating products. For me, this has been a good solution.

I'll update if there are any changes as I continue with this routine.

TheeGrace liked
MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/14/2015 11:58 pm

Hey guys - totally still using micellar water. The only drawback is that it's not enough to remove heavy stage makeup, so for about a month during the run of my last show, my skin sort of suffered, but Simple is still working for me! I've also gotten pretty lazy about my skin...so...

MemberMember
(@porswis)

Posted : 12/16/2015 4:30 am

I agree. I love micellar water. It doesnt irritate your skin like some cleansers and removes your makeup well. I tried alot ofdifferent brand since I live in Europe but the best one is the Bioderma for sensitive skin. Its extremelly gentleand it never irritated my eyes orskin. Its a shame that those product are not really famous here in acne.org.

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 12/16/2015 2:58 pm

I use Boots No7 Botanics All Bright Micellar Cleanser to remove makeup. I like it.

MemberMember
(@lil_e)

Posted : 01/20/2016 2:15 pm

On 12/14/2015, 1026, SiriBai said:

Hey guys - totally still using micellar water. The only drawback is that it's not enough to remove heavy stage makeup, so for about a month during the run of my last show, my skin sort of suffered, but Simple is still working for me! I've also gotten pretty lazy about my skin...so...

SiriBai: Do you use something else to remove heavy makeup after a show? I've been using Caudalie's micellar water, and it too struggles with performance makeup, (and even light mascara, for that matter). I was thinking of switching over to Simple, as Caudalie is rather pricey, but maybe I'll check out some of the others mentioned here if Simple has a hard time with heavy makeup, too. (I've just been using Sephora's Makeup Forever HD foundation for shows, with their 8hr wear concealer, which I use daily, if I need it, so we're not talking Ben Nye or anything...)

Thanks!