Notifications
Clear all

Stagnant Cyst

MemberMember
(@strappingjam)

Posted : 07/10/2015 10:42 am

Hi,

I recently got a cortisone shot about 2.5 weeks ago for a cyst (no pain) on my cheek. After about 3-5 days it has gone completely flat, but still purple/reddish. About a week after I got the cortisone shot, I noticed that the cyst has started to pop up again in the same spot and become red. Also another cyst/nodule right next to it (that was there previously) started to sprout as well. I was prescribed Acanya (again) and Aczone. Been putting Acanya just on the cyst and don't see any real improvements. Just want some advice if I should get another Cortisone injection again or if I should wait it out or not. And would applying ice do any help at all?

Here is a pic of it a few days ago: http://imgur.com/u7CD8Z8

Sorry here is a more recent pic:

Any input/advice is appreciated, thanks!

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 07/10/2015 12:25 pm

When I got cysts I would boil some water and sea salt, let it cool to comfortably warm - you don't want to burn yourself - and soak a cotton ball or clean washcloth in the solution, then apply it as a compress to the cyst area for several minutes, resoaking or replacing the cotton ball when it cooled. I'd do this every few hours to help draw it out and speed blood cells to the area to heal it.

You could alternate this heat with ice if you wanted if it hurts and is really inflamed. You want to bring it to a head and reduce swelling.

MemberMember
(@strappingjam)

Posted : 07/10/2015 1:26 pm

When I got cysts I would boil some water and sea salt, let it cool to comfortably warm - you don't want to burn yourself - and soak a cotton ball or clean washcloth in the solution, then apply it as a compress to the cyst area for several minutes, resoaking or replacing the cotton ball when it cooled. I'd do this every few hours to help draw it out and speed blood cells to the area to heal it.

You could alternate this heat with ice if you wanted if it hurts and is really inflamed. You want to bring it to a head and reduce swelling.

Will this still work given what you see in the pic? Not to mention it seems like the two cysts right next to each other are joining forces. Neither pimples do hurt, nor is it super hard. Just purple/red and elevated

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 07/10/2015 1:28 pm

Will this still work given what you see in the pic? Not to mention it seems like the two cysts right next to each other are joining forces. Neither pimples do hurt, nor is it super hard. Just purple/red and elevated

I hadn't looked at the picture but I just did. If they aren't hurting or hard, then they aren't cysts. They don't look like cysts to me, just inflamed pimples. you would do well to be applying the topicals prescribed by your derm as directed.

MemberMember
(@strappingjam)

Posted : 07/10/2015 1:50 pm

I hadn't looked at the picture but I just did. If they aren't hurting or hard, then they aren't cysts. They don't look like cysts to me, just inflamed pimples. you would do well to be applying the topicals prescribed by your derm as directed.

ah I see, you think that the warm salt water compression and/or applying ice would help speed up the healing process?

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 07/10/2015 1:52 pm

ah I see, you think that the warm salt water compression and/or applying ice would help speed up the healing process?

It couldn't hurt.