Notifications
Clear all

Why Did A Few Days In The Sun Clear Me Up When Vitamin D3 Did Not?

MemberMember
(@wannabebeautiful79)

Posted : 07/07/2015 2:30 pm

Back in the winter time a read a book about taking large doses of vitamin D3, along with K2 for absorption. I thought it may be the answer to my prayers! I took these supps for a few months, they did help somewhat but not %100.

Eventually I just started cod liver oil, a few tsp a day. It has A and D in it. About the same results, maybe a little better. But still not %100

But I laid in the sun for 3 days in a row and it all calmed down and cleared wonderfully. I only want a little bit of a tan and I live in the north so this isn't sustainable year round, so I need to figure out what worked!

Anyone have an idea why the sun would clear my skin when D3 wouldn't???

MemberMember
(@glb2130)

Posted : 07/07/2015 6:07 pm

the sun has an anti microbial effect :)

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 07/10/2015 4:26 pm

Uv rays

MemberMember
(@wannabebeautiful79)

Posted : 07/13/2015 3:18 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies! You guys are so smart ;)

I still wonder how I can replicate this phenomena during the winter, if it's the bacteria killing qualities of uv rays, I suppose I could try topicals again. I need to find something other than bp though, my skin hates it :(

As far as the difference in D3s I suppose there is nothing I can do about that apart from tanning beds which may not even be effective and could do more harm than good.

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 07/16/2015 9:52 am

Tanning has uv Rays so it helps, but at the cost of wrinkles and potentially melanoma...

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 07/24/2015 2:17 pm

I'm just like you, Vit. D is not noticeably helpful but a few hours of sun a day really reduces my overall acne.

"Human skin naturally produces fumaric acid when exposed to sunlight." quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumaric_acid

Fumaric acid is used to treat psoriaris and acne topically and orally: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17456929

UV light (sun exposure) also produces retinoic acid from Vitamin A. Notice how Accutane is a derivative of Vitamin A. Also some people have success in taking large amounts of Vitamin A supplements. I think they could improve alot more if they got more daily sun exposure. Go to this topic and scroll down about a 1/3rd of the way. Alterntivista talks about how people with acne may have not enough retinoic acid in their skin than normal people and need more sunlight as a result.

I believe that we have evolved to depend on sunlight exposure every day. Notice how most cases of moderate-severe acne are located on the face, neck, back, chest and shoulders, the areas of the body most exposed to sunlight. You never see someone with acne on the bottom of their foot. Back in the paleolithic area, we wouldn't be wearing clothing all the time or have access to air conditioned buidlings for shade.

You liked
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/04/2015 4:06 pm

Yes. retinoids may also be produced in the skin with exposure to sunlight, i think there are several ways sunlight is involved in skin function and have probably posted about them in the past, but can't think of them right now.