Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m.d.student

An Excellent Topic about Accutane

Hey guys,

I found this on the net and I think it'd be useful for you guys...its a very easy read and it has all the pertinent details:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/tf/content.asp?a=1828

As for how Im doing...my skin's getting better..i guees tongue.gif

I got bumped up to 60 mg now....skin is turning slightly red (every one asks if I got a sunburn or something) and my triglycerides have jumped up to 2.0 from 0.9 in the span of one month....the doc though says that derms do not pull people off accutane unless it goes up to 8.0, or to 5.0. within a months duration...

My lips are very very dry...sometimes I have these blister like sores on my lips...and sometimes they swell....but so far a bit managable...

Have got any of those nasty cystic acne bits since I started treatment..and my hose and T-zone isnt shiny from oil anymore...

No mood changes...well the occasionally blahs, but everyone gets those....

When i wash my face, my skin feels really smooth....like a baby's butt

I hope everyone else's treatment is going well!

M.D. Student,

How long have you been on Accutane? They say that some of the side effects pop up out of nowhere, like feelings of depression. I am suppose to go on Accutane but from everything I've read...I think I'm going to stay far away from it. I can't think of another product that has so much controversy, along with major lawsuits. Scary stuff!

I'm going on it. I've had it.

People talk about how dangerous accutane is but yet are willing to go on antibiotics for years. They even had me on Bactrim which is an insanely dangerous drug. Luckily, I was smart enough to take myself off. Also, people go on the Pill, and frankly, I am scared to death of the Pill. The warnings for the pill are: stroke, heart attack, and blood clots. When I worked at the Hospital I saw more than one patient with a pill related disease admitted. Which is a major reason I am frightened of it.

I am hoping the accutane works because if it doesn't, the pill is my last resort.

Then there is spiro which totally messes with your potassium levels, which in turn affects your heart. I've seen posts of people who have passed out from that pill. I can't take spiro due to my already low blood pressure.

If you are afraid, you shouldn't take it. I totally get it; I felt the same. I was too afraid to take it for 4+ years, and now I feel like that was a mistake.

All meds are dangerous.

I think I'm going to stay far away from it.  I can't think of another product that has so much controversy, along with major lawsuits.  Scary stuff!

Guest Craigems
...I think I'm going to stay far away from it.  I can't think of another product that has so much controversy, along with major lawsuits.  Scary stuff!

M.D. Student,

How long have you been on Accutane?  They say that some of the side effects pop up out of nowhere, like feelings of depression.  I am suppose to go on Accutane but from everything I've read...I think I'm going to stay far away from it.  I can't think of another product that has so much controversy, along with major lawsuits.  Scary stuff!

Okay I can think of another drug... Alcohol, Soo much controversy, soo many more fatalities due to Alcohol and even it screws your liver up more than Accutane Are you going to stop drinking alcohol ? Go read up on the "anti alcohol groups" and tell me if Accutane has more controversy over any other drug.

Also whats the chances of you having a car-crash on the way to somewhere ... whats the chances of the building your sitting in is going to fall ontop of you. These are all possibilities ...

How is Accutane different to any of this? I hope i have helped convince you a little about this drug smile.gif

I have quoted the exact words of my GP (not my derm). He is the one that convinced me to go on RoAccutane through those very wise words, I was like you I held off and dam i wish i didnt.

Guest Craigems

RoAccutane and Accutane, RoAccutane (Roche Accutane drug company name), and Accutane (made by other companies) basically just brand name comparison. The difference is America has different brands for Accutane products, whereas where i live RoAccutane is the only product version of this drug on the market so basically its the same thing...

As for the rest well i do tend to disagree again, with what you have said about the drug, Its a case of depression for the rest of ur life if you have moderate to severe acne. If you dont want to go on it dont i mean its completely optional, no-ones forcing you onto it, we are just giving you our view on the topic. Just saying 100x more people have liver problems due to the affects of alcohol in comparison to Accutane. And Accutane is closely monitored "Just incase" something disagrees in your body, as soon as that happens you stop taking the drug right away!

"HEY, BEFORE YOU GET SCREWED UP FROM THIS DRUG...DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU!"

Heh well like everyone else. Basically its your choice on the matter in the end, and well its my choice to take the drug to give me clear skin because i dont want acne problems for the rest of my life(moderate to severe), and in my field of work I dont need kids constantly asking my why i have all those spots on my face & neck.

Whitehead you sound like your acne really isnt that much of a problem to go to such extreme lengths. I mean most of us who are on Accutane is because its our last resort, like "most of us" have tried every dam thing to help cure out problem yet nothing works and its physically and emotionally devastating. In some cases I want to take the chance and become clear as its ruining my skin, my self esteem and my life. You must not understand how bad the problem is for some people, like so many others out there who dont have the problem bad or at all.

Well if i get screwed up, its my fault and i accept the consequences however slight they may be to ever happen, like most people out there.