Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tweedy05

Soap & water

I've had acne since about 14 and am now 23, and for all the time in between I have constantly changed washing regimes, endless face washes, exfoliators, cleansing pads, washing three times a day, 5 times a day, overnight gel, 10% BP, high dose B5 supplements for months and more recently Dan's regimen.

I had some success with the above, the B5 made my skin less oily but I still got spots and taking 20 pills a day is shit. Dan's regimen also cleared me up but then I broke out, then cleared up and so on. I just got sick of spending so much time putting the stuff on. My face also got really dry and flaky, the Eucerin helped that but made me look really oily, so back to square one.

I've always believed acne is down to genetics, hormones etc, and recently I looked at my bro who is 20 and he is 99% clear. He gets a spot now and then, but basically he doesn't suffer, and his skin ain't oily. He had bad acne in his teens, was on antibiotics etc, I asked him what he does now, and he said nothing! Just washes twice a day with soap, like any other normal person. So I'm going to give it a try, I've never let my skin just be normal, regain it's natural pH balance or whatever. My body must be all over the place with it's oil production, too oily, too dry. I know everyone's different and that just coz my brother's clear doesn't mean I will be. I'm just fed up with devoting so much time to worrying about my skin, and maybe I just don't need to be. At 23 I might have grown out of acne but just don't know it.

Thanks for reading my post, I'll let you know how it goes

Soap and water is a good idea. Some people on this board think not washing at all is a good idea.. but I wouldn't try that

ok well most people (guys) I know don't use face wash or anything at all. The only time they wash their face is when they shower at night, they naturally kind of splash their face but they don't have any special face cleanser or anything. It's wierd how different people work because my old roommate was pretty lazy you know, so he didn't shower for 2 days sometimes. He didn't have any acne at all.

so yes, tweedy05, I've had a notion for a long time that consistent acne is pretty much based on genetics and hormones. It's true like 85% (or whatever the statistics was) get acne some time in their life but it's like just to occasional pimple or two, not like for many many years.

I'm taking 250mg of B5 per day and my skin is already getting dry. I live in a dry area, along with winter, makes it worse. I don't like putting on all those products either. Moisturizers, creams, gels, lotions, it's just too much for me.

For about two weeks I didn't use any soap at all just splash my face with water a couple times a day. I didn't really notice any improvement but I didn't get 10 extra pimples than I usually would either. it's just neutral. I'm thining of just taking some vitamin C and E pills and maybe just some face cleanser once a day and just seeing how it turns out.

I've had acne since about 14 and am now 23, and for all the time in between I have constantly changed washing regimes, endless face washes, exfoliators, cleansing pads, washing three times a day, 5 times a day, overnight gel, 10% BP, high dose B5 supplements for months and more recently Dan's regimen.

I had some success with the above, the B5 made my skin less oily but I still got spots and taking 20 pills a day is shit. Dan's regimen also cleared me up but then I broke out, then cleared up and so on. I just got sick of spending so much time putting the stuff on. My face also got really dry and flaky, the Eucerin helped that but made me look really oily, so back to square one.

I've always believed acne is down to genetics, hormones etc, and recently I looked at my bro who is 20 and he is 99% clear. He gets a spot now and then, but basically he doesn't suffer, and his skin ain't oily. He had bad acne in his teens, was on antibiotics etc, I asked him what he does now, and he said nothing! Just washes twice a day with soap, like any other normal person. So I'm going to give it a try, I've never let my skin just be normal, regain it's natural pH balance or whatever. My body must be all over the place with it's oil production, too oily, too dry. I know everyone's different and that just coz my brother's clear doesn't mean I will be. I'm just fed up with devoting so much time to worrying about my skin, and maybe I just don't need to be. At 23 I might have grown out of acne but just don't know it.

Thanks for reading my post, I'll let you know how it goes

I have also found out that less is more when it comes to acne...

I used to wash my face with a SA cleanser, then put SA lotion on, and put BP on acne prone spots in the morning(Talk about major dry skin). At night I would wash my face with regular soap, then put BP ALL over my face and go to bed.

But since then my face has become so dry and my pores have opened up majorly, and my eyes look horrible from all the products I used, so I slowed down BIG tme on the acne product usage.

Now I wash my face with normal soap in the morning, then put the SA lotion on, and take my vitamin that has 20 MG of Zinc in it(Which has helped more than anything when it comes to acne). At night I wash my face with normal soap, and then put dabs of BP on acne prone spots before bed. I am about 70% clear right now, with only a few spots on my chin and cheeks, and I've been only getting better since I started using less. eusa_dance.gif

Ok it's been 4 days since I stopped using BP and started with only soap & water. My acne is not too bad, no better or worse than the previous week, but my face is very oily, I notice it more because before I could put it down to the moisturizer, now when I see my shiny skin I know it's OIL. But on the plus side my dry skin has totally gone. I'm thinking of gently moping up the oil during the day at work, just to make myself feel better, like with a paper towel or something. Can anyone suggest anything better? I don't want to actually wash my face, I'm only doing that twice a day. I think my skin is ultra oily because I just came off BP 4 days ago and my skin is still producing the oil it needed to combat the dryness. Hopefully it will adjust with time!

Now 10 days since I came off BP, and so far things are going great. I have had very little acne, but I'm not getting carried away. I think my skin may still be seeing the benefit of BP because I heard a spot takes 9 days from the original blocked pore to the spot forming. But just washing twice a day with soap is working for me so far. My skin is normal, no dryness, little acne, long may this continue!

hey buddy i havent posted in a really long time, but i was scanning over this site again and when i read your post i had to reply.

i used to do the bp and apply all the products and stuff too, i basically did it all last year till i finally got sick and tired of having to put on bp cream and moisturizer and all that stuff, made me feel like an obsessive girl and even worse my skin really wasnt even all that clear. ide have good weeks and bad weeks but overall i felt like my skin looked like shit. Then over the summer i decided to just stop using the bp and moisturizers and salicylic acid products and all that crap because i realized that everyone without acne doesnt use that crap. And trust me, its the best thing you can do for your acne and overall complexion.

Whatever you do dont relapse back into using any of that crap if you get a breakout or even a few. dont even spot treat w/bp ive honestly found that it doesnt help at all, once the pimple has formed bp really doesnt shrink it or anything, your body has to get rid of the buildup of crap on its own. all applying bp or whatever to the spot does it irritate the skin just around the pimple so the next week you get a pimple there.

I'm not saying im perfectly clear, im actualy at thsi site cause i just popped a pimple and was curious what was going on with this site. But ill go for long periods of time without getting a pimple, and when i do get one it seems to run its course and is hardly noticable a few days later and not at all by the next week.

I think i also have skin a lot like yours, my skin gets mad oily as the day goes on. Ive found the best thing to do is splash my face with water and then dry, but ive also been known to just wipe my face down with a paper towel in the bathroom inbetween classes or whatever.

Oh yea almost forgot, bar soap always overdrys the crap out of my skin so i use that purpose liquid stuff or clean and clear liquid for sensitive skin. But if it works for you then by all means. wow i typed a lot, good luck

Thanks for the reply Tabasco, it's great to know the back to basics thing worked for you, it is still going very well with me. It's not even 2 weeks since I finished BP and I still expect to breakout anytime, each day I look in the mirror with trepidation but nothing significant yet, the odd tiny spot which is not even visible after a while. Do guys notice that right after shaving (or even just washing), if you look straight in the mirror every blemish shows up and the skin is blotchy red in some places, but after, say, half an hour, you look almost totally clear?

I just feel as though I'm turning the corner with acne, but I won't feel as though I've beaten it until I get rid of the feeling that I EXPECT to breakout, I want to take clear skin for granted. I want to walk past a mirror and not fear glancing at it. At work etc I really try not to look in mirrors because if I see a new spot forming it gets me down for the day, I know it shouldn't but it does, people know what I mean.

By the way Tabasco, I use the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar, it does a good job and doesn't dry. Dryness and flakiness was a big problem for me on the Regimen.

Thanks for the reply Tabasco, it's great to know the back to basics thing worked for you, it is still going very well with me. It's not even 2 weeks since I finished BP and I still expect to breakout anytime, each day I look in the mirror with trepidation but nothing significant yet, the odd tiny spot which is not even visible after a while. Do guys notice that right after shaving (or even just washing), if you look straight in the mirror every blemish shows up and the skin is blotchy red in some places, but after, say, half an hour, you look almost totally clear?

I just feel as though I'm turning the corner with acne, but I won't feel as though I've beaten it until I get rid of the feeling that I EXPECT to breakout, I want to take clear skin for granted. I want to walk past a mirror and not fear glancing at it. At work etc I really try not to look in mirrors because if I see a new spot forming it gets me down for the day, I know it shouldn't but it does, people know what I mean.

By the way Tabasco, I use the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar, it does a good job and doesn't dry. Dryness and flakiness was a big problem for me on the Regimen.

Putting stuff on your face to fight acne is just damage-control.

Acne is a metabolic disorder, not a "benzoyl peroxide deficiency". Cut out sugar, refined carbs and other foods that promote insulin resistance, and your acne will vanish.

The stuff I put on my face is only for general skin health:

- 100% pure Glycerine soap - For Cleaning

- 100% pure Tea Tree Oil - For Disinfecting (If Needed)

- 100% pure Aloe Vera - For Healing

If my skin is especially dry, I use Desert Essence Daily Essential Facial Moisturizer.

None of that topical stuff prevents acne (although it may help to minimize the visible symptoms)

The only way I know for acne-prone individuals to prevent acne is by increasing insulin sensitivity via dietary and other lifestyle changes.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=35696