Notifications
Clear all

Stopping Doxcycline

MemberMember
(@buflo)

Posted : 06/17/2015 3:57 pm

Hi,

I took doxy twice a day about 7 months ago and then went down to 1 pill a day and have been like that for a while. Before this, I took minocycline and had gone down to 1 pill every other day, but my dermatologist told me this was such a low dosage that I had probably developed some sort of immunity. Anyway, I have decided to stop taking doxycycline (and actually going to stop using benzoyl peroxide too, as a matter of fact, maybe switch to just using water and maybe tea tree oil in the shower). Insofar as I was already down to 1 pill a day, could I just abruptly stop taking the medication? I have a few pills left (6 I believe), so I could maybe get down to 1 pill every other day for a little bit, but this is my last prescription and I'd have to go to the dermatologist again to get a refill, which seems like a wasteful decision considering the fact that I just want to quit using all this medication entirely.

MemberMember
(@giraffe15)

Posted : 07/15/2015 1:12 am

I would say to go down to one pill every other day until your prescription runs out, theres no point in going to the dermatologist to get a refill on something you're trying to stop. Could you please keep posted about what happens after stopping the antibiotics, as I am trying to stop minocycline, but scared to break out.

MemberMember
(@chronbot)

Posted : 07/15/2015 7:33 pm

Taking a pill every other day might not be a great idea. I've heard that having the fluctuations of medicine in your system might make things worse. I know when I was taking mino every three days I had a severe breakout. Maybe a better thing to do is ask your derm to give you half the dose. So instead of taking 100 mg every other day just take 50 mg everyday.

MemberMember
(@giraffe15)

Posted : 07/17/2015 12:13 am

Taking a pill every other day might not be a great idea. I've heard that having the fluctuations of medicine in your system might make things worse. I know when I was taking mino every three days I had a severe breakout. Maybe a better thing to do is ask your

derm to give you half the dose. So instead of taking 100 mg every other day just take 50 mg everyday.

well after that do you just stop taking it completely? I feel as if taking one pill every other day would just help to ease your body off the medicine, instead of a sudden drop of just not taking the dose all together. The idea does seem logical though. I'm also trying to get off of mino. So I'd like to hear your experience getting off of that if your willing to share?

MemberMember
(@chronbot)

Posted : 07/18/2015 5:17 pm

I made a post about my experience trying to get off mino. Basically my face exploded worse than I have ever seen it. I have been taking antibiotics for many years so that didn't help. Moral of the story: get off of them sooner rather than later.

MemberMember
(@becjane1988)

Posted : 07/19/2015 11:31 am

I was on mino for 6 months, I reduced my dose from 2 a day to 1 a day (1 month) , then 1 every second day (2 weeks), then every 3 days for the final 2 weeks and I stopped.

Personally I don't think I broke out worse and think it's better to go off slowly than shock your body. But everybody is different.

I also don't think my antibiotics was working anyways so maybe that's why I didn't experience any worse breakouts than normal.